Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Changing unit categorization?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> MODS and Scenarios >> Changing unit categorization? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Changing unit categorization? - 6/2/2021 12:47:17 AM   
mdsmall

Hi - I have been playing around with changing the combat characteristics of rail guns so that they are de facto another kind of regular artillery that are useful for de-entrenching, killing strength points and demoralizing the enemy, but with a range of 3 rather than 2. This is working quite well in the 1917 mod I have been testing - except when you want to fire the gun at units defending a resource hex. Then the fact rail guns are classified as Strategic Artillery means that their shells target the resources rather than the defending unit - and 9 times out of 10 the attacking player wants to attack the enemy unit not the resource it is sitting on.

Is there any way to change the categorization of rain guns so that they are treated as Artillery, rather than Strategic Artillery? I realize that I could always use another regular artillery unit type to simulate this, but I also like the movement ability of rail guns and the constraint that they have to stay on rail lines.

Michael
Post #: 1
RE: Changing unit categorization? - 6/3/2021 9:02:11 AM   
BillRunacre

You can increase the chance of the unit being hit, but doing so will increase the chance of all units that hit resources, e.g. naval vessels and Heavy Bombers too.

To do this go to:

Campaign -> Edit Country Data -> Research -> Advanced

On the right is the Resource Bombardment setting, and you can increase the starting %, e.g. set it to 100%.

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to mdsmall)
Post #: 2
RE: Changing unit categorization? - 6/3/2021 6:08:21 PM   
mdsmall

Bill - that's interesting! I had not focussed on that setting before in the Editor. The collateral effect on other attacks against resources that you mention might be plus.

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 3
RE: Changing unit categorization? - 6/7/2021 6:15:30 AM   
mdsmall

quote:

ORIGINAL: BillRunacre

You can increase the chance of the unit being hit, but doing so will increase the chance of all units that hit resources, e.g. naval vessels and Heavy Bombers too.

To do this go to:

Campaign -> Edit Country Data -> Research -> Advanced

On the right is the Resource Bombardment setting, and you can increase the starting %, e.g. set it to 100%.

Hi Bill - I have followed your advice above, but am still unsure about what exactly the two "Resource Bombardment" variables listed on that page mean.

The first is labelled "Defender Unit Hit %". The second is labelled "Defender Unit Hit Increments %". Can you elaborate on what each of these means?

Also, can you remind me how to read the combat odds given for bombarding an urban resource. I have never been very clear on how to read these combat odds given in this situation and could not locate an explanation in the Manual.

Many thanks,

Michael

Post #: 4
RE: Changing unit categorization? - 6/7/2021 10:24:34 AM   
BillRunacre

Hi Michael

The first is the chance that the attacking unit will strike a unit occupying a resource, while the second is the % increase in that chance as research upgrades (Artillery Weapons) are applied.

The odds for damaging the resource will be shown, with a % and odds for a unit (if present) displayed after it.

(in reply to mdsmall)
Post #: 5
RE: Changing unit categorization? - 6/7/2021 7:34:58 PM   
mdsmall

Hi Bill - I figured out that by changing the settings in the Editor for Combat Penalties and Bonuses, I could give rail-guns (only) the ability to de-entrench when they score a hit on units sitting in resource hexes. So, for my current purposes, I have set the "Defender Unit Hit" % to 100% (to be sure of hitting a unit on resource hex) and I have set the "Defender Unit Hit Increment" % to zero (since the first number is already at 100%).

After changing these settings I have found in a couple of tests that when I have a rail-gun with 1 Artillery tech firing on a resource hex, I get a combat odds prediction which reads something like this: 0:1 (0) (100%). I think this means:

0 = probable attackers' losses.
1 = probable hit to the resources of the hex.
0 = probable damage to the unit defending the hex.
100%= probability of hitting the unit on the hex (and thus reducing its entrenchment level by 1)

Is this correct?

Cheers,

Michael

Post #: 6
RE: Changing unit categorization? - 6/8/2021 9:01:58 AM   
BillRunacre

Yes, that's right.

(in reply to mdsmall)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> MODS and Scenarios >> Changing unit categorization? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI