Thanks, overkill. I thought it must be something like that. I'm curious - is there a way to switch them off, so that only game-relevant features appear on the map? Or are they a hard-coded thing? Thanks.
There is no easy way or switch to do this.
It is not hardcoded though.
You can overwrite the art-files if you want to go throught the trouble.
To do this:
1. go to the game installfolder, then go to, Dat/art/tiles/CLEAR
2. delete 11 files, CLEAR_011; _012 ; _016; _017; _018; _019; _020; _021; _022; _024; _025 (DO NOT DELETE _013)
3. replace the files you just deleted by copy/pasting and renaming the file CLEAR_001
4. Then go to Dat/art/tiles/COAST
5. Delete file COAST0_182, COAST0_183 and replace them both with COAST0_181 (renaming again)
6. Delete file COAST1_182, COAST1_183 and replace them both with COAST1_181
7. Delete file COAST2_182, COAST2_183 and replace them both with COAST2_181
8. Delete file COAST3_182, COAST3_183 and replace them both with COAST3_181
9. Delete file COAST4_182, COAST4_183 and replace them both with COAST4_181
10.Delete file COAST5_182, COAST5_183 and replace them both with COAST5_181
And that's it, reboot the game and they will be gone.
Make sure you backup the files you just created for they might be overwrited when you update the game or mod.