Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A new scenario

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> A new scenario Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A new scenario - 5/30/2021 5:26:40 PM   
DavidDailey

Perhaps I am speaking prematurely based on my experience but I wonder if the designers could create a new scenario with some new parameters. The standard 1939 scenario may be balanced against the AI ( I don't know, I never play AI in any game since I find AI to not possess real conceptual thinking) or with inexperienced players against each other. But the really experienced players are really "gaming the game" for both sides. I think there may be a consensus growing that the current scenario is tilted too heavily to the Axis. But what about a new 1939 scenario with these possible guidelines? 1. Eliminate the AI. I am not a programmer but I assume Mr Cater must waste a lot of energy making it work. The new scenario would be human against human only. 2. Eliminate situations where a player can study in advance unit placements, etc. and construct a script to "beat" it. As an example, no one should be able to look on a You Tube video and copy down a way to conquer Poland on turn 1. That is just one of dozens of "gamey" abuses that plague the current scenario. 3. When I complain to the "expert" players about their outlandish strategems their response is always, "well, the game is not a simulation." But the splashscreen says Strategic Command World at War, not Bill Runacres Fantasy General. There needs to be at least an attempt at historicity with a realistic chance for the Axis to win. 4. I have been playing SC since SC 1 came out, close to twenty years ago. SC 2 had those unfortunate diamond hexes. Now we have this beautiful world hexagonal map. I believe it is absolutely the best WW 2 simulation game with so many great features but I am a little frustrated with the current scenario. Go ahead. If I am speaking out of my you know what let me have it.
Post #: 1
RE: A new scenario - 5/31/2021 12:23:18 AM   
USGrant1962

quote:

ORIGINAL: DavidDailey

...the splashscreen says Strategic Command World at War, not Bill Runacres Fantasy General. ...

I can't comment on your live play issues as I only play single player, though your comments make sense to me.

But this is the quote of the day for me. And it applies to so many wargames...

USGrant1962

(in reply to DavidDailey)
Post #: 2
RE: A new scenario - 5/31/2021 8:33:59 AM   
Marcinos1985

quote:

Perhaps I am speaking prematurely based on my experience but I wonder if the designers could create a new scenario with some new parameters. The standard 1939 scenario may be balanced against the AI ( I don't know, I never play AI in any game since I find AI to not possess real conceptual thinking) or with inexperienced players against each other. But the really experienced players are really "gaming the game" for both sides. I think there may be a consensus growing that the current scenario is tilted too heavily to the Axis. But what about a new 1939 scenario with these possible guidelines? 1. Eliminate the AI. I am not a programmer but I assume Mr Cater must waste a lot of energy making it work. The new scenario would be human against human only. 2. Eliminate situations where a player can study in advance unit placements, etc. and construct a script to "beat" it. As an example, no one should be able to look on a You Tube video and copy down a way to conquer Poland on turn 1. That is just one of dozens of "gamey" abuses that plague the current scenario. 3. When I complain to the "expert" players about their outlandish strategems their response is always, "well, the game is not a simulation." But the splashscreen says Strategic Command World at War, not Bill Runacres Fantasy General. There needs to be at least an attempt at historicity with a realistic chance for the Axis to win. 4. I have been playing SC since SC 1 came out, close to twenty years ago. SC 2 had those unfortunate diamond hexes. Now we have this beautiful world hexagonal map. I believe it is absolutely the best WW 2 simulation game with so many great features but I am a little frustrated with the current scenario. Go ahead. If I am speaking out of my you know what let me have it.

Could you elaborate more what disturbs you? Poland? France? USSR?

2nd point - this game has chess-like nature. That's not a surprise that opening position is studied thoroughly. But this requires some effort, most players don't do it and play as they feel is the best. This forum is - in my opinion - not the best representation of player base. People here are mostly very dedicated and put a lot of effort into their games. Take a random game from lobby and you are in other world.

Post #: 3
RE: A new scenario - 5/31/2021 10:48:41 AM   
Illiniwek80

quote:

But the splashscreen says Strategic Command World at War, not Bill Runacres Fantasy General.

Oh man, I would love to play that game! Where do I find it?

(in reply to Marcinos1985)
Post #: 4
RE: A new scenario - 5/31/2021 7:24:39 PM   
BillRunacre

quote:

ORIGINAL: Illiniwek80

quote:

But the splashscreen says Strategic Command World at War, not Bill Runacres Fantasy General.

Oh man, I would love to play that game! Where do I find it?

It sounds like it could be a fun game to make too!

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to Illiniwek80)
Post #: 5
RE: A new scenario - 5/31/2021 7:28:53 PM   
BillRunacre

quote:

I do understand, but some people play so much that they have effectively studied aspects of the game so they have become very knowledgeable as to what is likely to happen, and when.

I'm not sure there's much we can do to prevent that, but we do try to remove as many exploits as possible, so if you can think of some that potentially could be addressed please let us know so that we can think about them.

I'm also noting down the very useful balance feedback and have various ideas to consider implementing.

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

Post #: 6
RE: A new scenario - 5/31/2021 8:52:15 PM   
Elessar2

Take a page from pzgndr (and the original AH 3R designers that he is emulating) and add a bunch of more random events? There's no way that the Germans will know that the Yugoslavs will plan a coup in early 1941, nor that British will know that the Iraqis will do the same later in the year. If taken too far it could yes unbalance the game (for ex. giving each more unstable minor country a small chance at a coup attempt, in either direction), but it might eliminate these 'perfect plays' that we read about all the time here. Randomized country setups too upon DoW.

< Message edited by Elessar2 -- 5/31/2021 8:53:08 PM >

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> A new scenario Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI