Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Advancement change for infantry corps

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> Advancement change for infantry corps Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Advancement change for infantry corps - 5/27/2021 7:42:57 PM   
Nirosi

Hi,

It seems that to change the advancement of a normal infantry corps (but no other units), it is cheaper to split the corps, change (and pay for) only one of the 2 or 3 divisions and then merge them all in the changed division. The price can then be reduced by up to 67%.

I wanted to know if it was meant to be this way or if, on the contrary, it was overlooked? Maybe it was meant to not allow different types to merge (like for Garrisons vs non-Garrison)?

I do not mind that much but since we will always do it if allowed it is a hassle, and poor (in all ways) Italy can not even do it. But in both case, I want to know if it was meant to be that way.
Post #: 1
RE: Advancement change for infantry corps - 5/27/2021 7:52:28 PM   
ncc1701e

May be there is a regression but last time I have checked, merging two divisions with 1939 Assault and 1940 Assault, the small corps is 1939 Assault.
If not, this is a bug.

Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

(in reply to Nirosi)
Post #: 2
RE: Advancement change for infantry corps - 5/27/2021 8:02:35 PM   
Nirosi

Hi,

What I mean is that if you want to change, for example, a whole corps from one to the other, it would normally cost 30. But if you split them first you can only pay 10 for the first division and then merge the other two in that one. And then you have what you wanted originally but for 10 PPs instead of 30.

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 3
RE: Advancement change for infantry corps - 5/27/2021 8:46:22 PM   
Villain

You can change unit advancement between assault or anti-tank entirely for free by merging divisions or half armies.

I use this to convert all UK, French and USA Infantry to Anti-tank for free in the 1939 scenarios mostly. This way I never have to research assault.

All you need is one div of each type to go either one way or the other.

We're wondering if this is an acceptable practice or a loophole in the code that should/will be fixed.

< Message edited by Villain -- 5/27/2021 8:48:46 PM >

(in reply to Nirosi)
Post #: 4
RE: Advancement change for infantry corps - 5/27/2021 8:48:16 PM   
Christolos

This seems like something that may have been missed and therefore exploitable...

“Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives - choice, not chance, determines your destiny.”

-Aristotle-

(in reply to Nirosi)
Post #: 5
RE: Advancement change for infantry corps - 5/27/2021 8:51:45 PM   
AlvaroSousa

ok I'll look into it.

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to Christolos)
Post #: 6
RE: Advancement change for infantry corps - 5/27/2021 9:39:36 PM   
Harrybanana

A simple solution would be to prohibit two units from merging unless they are of the same type (ie either both assault or both anti-tank).

(in reply to AlvaroSousa)
Post #: 7
RE: Advancement change for infantry corps - 5/27/2021 11:52:15 PM   
Villain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harrybanana

A simple solution would be to prohibit two units from merging unless they are of the same type (ie either both assault or both anti-tank).

I agree however, this may have an undesirable impact on the Soviets.
Their free armies are all assault armies and their starting rifle units that get freely converted to half armies are all assault as well.
This would seem force/favor the Soviets down the assault advancement path or become saddled with having to manage units that can't freely merge as they can now. PP is always tight with the Soviets I don't see the Soviets putting PP aside to pay for changing unit advancement types at any point in time. Early they need to spend on units and if they do have spare PP they have so many units it would cost a fortune or no longer matter due to the war's imminent end.

It must be said that currently merging divisions to change type is "free" with regards to PP however there is a cost in time, movement and micromanaging units.

But if my micromanaging skills can take a rest I'll gladly adapt!

(in reply to Harrybanana)
Post #: 8
RE: Advancement change for infantry corps - 5/28/2021 5:21:32 AM   
ncc1701e

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harrybanana

Could be yes.

You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

(in reply to Harrybanana)
Post #: 9
RE: Advancement change for infantry corps - 5/28/2021 5:26:03 AM   
ncc1701e

quote:

ORIGINAL: Villain

I agree however, this may have an undesirable impact on the Soviets.
Their free armies are all assault armies and their starting rifle units that get freely converted to half armies are all assault as well.
This would seem force/favor the Soviets down the assault advancement path or become saddled with having to manage units that can't freely merge as they can now. PP is always tight with the Soviets I don't see the Soviets putting PP aside to pay for changing unit advancement types at any point in time. Early they need to spend on units and if they do have spare PP they have so many units it would cost a fortune or no longer matter due to the war's imminent end.

It must be said that currently merging divisions to change type is "free" with regards to PP however there is a cost in time, movement and micromanaging units.

Despite their initial advancement is Assault, I am always buying Anti-Tank infantry rifle corps at the beginning. And I was already managing my Red army to be sure to merge advancement of the same year not to lose PP.

So, it won't change anything to me. It is only in 1943 that I switch some core units from Anti-Tank to Assault. A bulk of Anti-Tank and an Assault force to push the Germans.

(in reply to Villain)
Post #: 10
RE: Advancement change for infantry corps - 5/30/2021 4:52:33 PM   
AlvaroSousa

Fixed. Now it will cost to change back to the merged into unit. A message will appear if you don't have enough PPs

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> Advancement change for infantry corps Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI