Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Alt History with TBs?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Feature Suggestions >> Alt History with TBs? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Alt History with TBs? - 5/27/2021 2:38:40 AM   
RedJohn

I think it'd be cool if the Axis/Soviets can "win" in certain theater boxes if they commit enough resources to it early enough.

For example, winning in Africa could either disable the theater entirely or drastically reduce the requirements. Committing enough to Western Europe/Norway might see the simulation of a failed allied invasion and subsequent reduction in TB requirements to allow deployment east.

The Soviets meanwhile would be able to "win" in Finland and disable the Northern Front.

These might not be entirely realistic, but I believe it would be a cool toggleable option or something so that players can make the decision to sacrifice early game advantages for late-game advantages, promoting a longer war for both sides that isn't just a steamroll.

Thoughts welcome!
Post #: 1
RE: Alt History with TBs? - 5/27/2021 7:45:59 AM   
Dreamslayer

For it there is need a some kind of political system in the game plus more improved TB's (naval and logistical components).

It's 2021. Can this forum get damn SPOILER option? = D

(in reply to RedJohn)
Post #: 2
RE: Alt History with TBs? - 5/27/2021 9:00:43 AM   
CatSoup

You can already do that. There is a very extensive event editor.
You can do things like : if russian has X% ground in fin then trigger russian counter offensive which set groud requirment to X and com intensity to X. Then if russian has X% ground and air then it has X% chance to trigger russian wins FN front each turn.

(in reply to Dreamslayer)
Post #: 3
RE: Alt History with TBs? - 5/27/2021 3:06:58 PM   
kahta

These are entirely possible but would rely on a very complex event chain. The dev team is planning on making a number of changes to the editor, so I've held off on anything too crazy until then.

I've created and shared an alternative history scenario along some of these lines you describe (see URL in my signature)

(in reply to CatSoup)
Post #: 4
RE: Alt History with TBs? - 5/27/2021 4:10:24 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: kahta

These are entirely possible but would rely on a very complex event chain. The dev team is planning on making a number of changes to the editor, so I've held off on anything too crazy until then.

I've created and shared an alternative history scenario along some of these lines you describe (see URL in my signature)

agree its perfectly doable and interesting, but for a formal release there are a few issues:

a) its incredibly hard to test the consequences of branching event chains. Sometimes a low prob outcome can simply be game ending.

b) testing each branch so it works technically is harder than might appear

c) in combination to include contingency/branching events would have added a lot of time to the development of the game.

I did a lot of work for AGEOD's Pride of Nations, primarily cleaning up the event chains, adding some neat chrome and trying to remove anything that stopped them from working. Even for (b), it took a year (unpaid etc and that was using ideas and material generated by the wider community) to get what became the final patch out. The safety net in PoN to (a) was the extent it was scripted and that you couldn't go too far off track (it wasn't a world conquest game and it had at its core the idea that the main European nation states were fixed), but even so.

Further comment, the later you get the more these problems compound. Also when you come to massive events like the Russian Revolution you need watch out that interesting modelling doesn't create very unwelcome game play.

So lets say you want a fun, Soviet collapse in November 1941 event. Add your conditions and you can guarentee that some axis players will simply aim at them, now it might be realistic, you might assign a low probability etc but ...

(in reply to kahta)
Post #: 5
RE: Alt History with TBs? - 6/7/2021 12:15:54 PM   
kahta

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: kahta

agree its perfectly doable and interesting, but for a formal release there are a few issues:

a) its incredibly hard to test the consequences of branching event chains. Sometimes a low prob outcome can simply be game ending.

b) testing each branch so it works technically is harder than might appear

c) in combination to include contingency/branching events would have added a lot of time to the development of the game.

I did a lot of work for AGEOD's Pride of Nations, primarily cleaning up the event chains, adding some neat chrome and trying to remove anything that stopped them from working. Even for (b), it took a year (unpaid etc and that was using ideas and material generated by the wider community) to get what became the final patch out. The safety net in PoN to (a) was the extent it was scripted and that you couldn't go too far off track (it wasn't a world conquest game and it had at its core the idea that the main European nation states were fixed), but even so.

Further comment, the later you get the more these problems compound. Also when you come to massive events like the Russian Revolution you need watch out that interesting modelling doesn't create very unwelcome game play.

So lets say you want a fun, Soviet collapse in November 1941 event. Add your conditions and you can guarentee that some axis players will simply aim at them, now it might be realistic, you might assign a low probability etc but ...

Yes, and things start to go off track because the AI has a tough time with certain aspects of the game... For example, opening up Turkey for combat isn't really that much fun because it has a hard time handling it.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Feature Suggestions >> Alt History with TBs? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI