Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

My 2c on Fun Factor and Feel

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> My 2c on Fun Factor and Feel Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
My 2c on Fun Factor and Feel - 5/26/2021 8:10:59 PM   
Chernobyl

So I got this game recently and I wanted to post about what I have found to be fun or unfun. Nothing about tactics or game balance here, just my impressions. I'm halfway into 1942 in my first single player game.

Background: I have never played SC:WaW or SC:WiE but I am somewhat of an expert at the SC:WWI game. So I know what I'm doing but the aircraft tanks the events and the map are new to me.

Impressions:
Aircraft carriers are COOL! I really like how fleet battles feel on the open ocean. Carriers have tremendous reach and power. There's enough space out there that it adds an element of risk to moving across the ocean; you never really know where the enemy fleet is. I like that you have to keep up with fighter tech and long range aircraft to keep your carriers competitive.

Bomber aircraft feel fun. I really love how they feel powerful and intuitive. I've played several other WWII strategy games before that I enjoyed except for the air war aspect. In those games you have to constantly update their orders (set altitude, rearm, manually assign search vectors) and that ruins the game for me because it's too much work. Either that or you need to constantly check on your aircraft to make sure they are doing okay.

I found the China war to be engaging. It feels like a fun side theater kind of like Serbia in the WWI game. The biggest differences are that it's bigger and Germany can't intervene.

Economics feels mostly right. I didn't feel like I was either overflowing with MPP or impossibly impoverished as Germany and Japan. Not saying it's absolute perfection but things felt in the "correct" ballpark i.e. not completely historically accurate (USA would probably get like 1.5x MPP or more compared to what they get in this game) but a high enough amount of MPP for Russia + USA to create the "right" time pressure on the Axis.

The initial tech advantage/disadvantage situation also feels good to me.

I like how Russia apparently has to deal with a lack of HQ at the start of Barbarossa. This is a great approximation for their atrocious C+C issues during the first stage of Barbarossa. I also like how Soviet forces are a combination of user placed units but also many units spawn at the front where they get destroyed. It's always difficult to represent important historical mistakes when players know to avoid them (but you also want to allow some room for the fun of slightly improving the historical path). I like this compromise approach compared to other games which either allow total freedom in which case a human Soviet player to deploy all forces in the rear which kind of ruins the fun of Barbarossa, or are too restrictive or random (e.g. Soviet forces roll a die every turn to determine whether they go haywire and make a suicide attack or not) which can feel unfun because it involves too much luck.

The Japanese invasion of all those SRA islands felt fun and didn't take too much micromanagement to accomplish. Naval invasions felt more intuitive than HOI4 for example. Well, except for conquering single-hex islands like Wake for example, that one confused me. I tried bombing the defender with carriers but that didn't seem to make a difference. I'm actually thankful you only have to land at a couple locations to conquer Indonesia because individually conquering every island while fun in a sense would also be a huge time sink (not to mention the MPP cost). For the timescale (one turn roughly equals 4 weeks) being able to simply conquer Batavia, Kuching, Brunei and Manila is definitely more realistic than having to land at a dozen additional locations (Davao Aparri Palawan Lingayen Menado Balikpapan Palembang Ambon etc etc).
Post #: 1
RE: My 2c on Fun Factor and Feel - 5/26/2021 11:08:13 PM   
Platoonist

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chernobyl

I've played several other WWII strategy games before that I enjoyed except for the air war aspect. In those games you have to constantly update their orders (set altitude, rearm, manually assign search vectors) and that ruins the game for me because it's too much work. Either that or you need to constantly check on your aircraft to make sure they are doing okay.

Ohhh yeah, I know the game type well. You don't play those wargames....you administrate them instead. It's getting to the point of detail where changing out the ashtrays in the officer's club for the .0005 overall morale bump will be one of your required in-game duties. Micromanagers rejoice!

(in reply to Chernobyl)
Post #: 2
RE: My 2c on Fun Factor and Feel - 5/27/2021 1:53:18 AM   
Shellshock

I've often felt the best presentation move the developers made with this game (and the rest in the SC series) was the inclusion of an illustrative move-by-move tutorial near the beginning of the manual. A tutorial that also explains a lot of the game's basic workings and nuances. It made a good first impression and also made the game quicker and easier to get into than trudging through a whole dry stack of rules.

War Plan sure could benefit from the inclusion of one.

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 3
RE: My 2c on Fun Factor and Feel - 5/27/2021 11:58:46 AM   
BillRunacre

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shellshock

I've often felt the best presentation move the developers made with this game (and the rest in the SC series) was the inclusion of an illustrative move-by-move tutorial near the beginning of the manual. A tutorial that also explains a lot of the game's basic workings and nuances. It made a good first impression and also made the game quicker and easier to get into than trudging through a whole dry stack of rules.

Thanks Shellshock, it's good to hear this.

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to Shellshock)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> My 2c on Fun Factor and Feel Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI