Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Tactics Focus: Allies vs an Axis Norway

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Tactics Focus: Allies vs an Axis Norway Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tactics Focus: Allies vs an Axis Norway - 5/26/2021 7:10:23 AM   
MattShadowlord

Questions about Norway, from the Allies' point of view. I am focusing on 4 locations that seem to be the most relevant, but any input and thoughts on this area are welcome.

Narvik
There seem to be three main schools of thought
1) Yay attack Narvik, click 'Yes' and Yolo!
(send the special forces, roll lucky, and hope for the best)

2) No, it's waste of effort and diversion

3) Yes, as a mini-campaign
Send at least 2 carriers, and possibly an HQ and Corps. If so, then gradually work your way down through Norway to Oslo. Skim a bit of resources away from the Axis and later attack Denmark, or get them to waste forces reinforcing when they should be focused on Russia.

Olso

How do you take it directly -without a big detour through easier locations of Norway. All 4 Royal Navy Carriers, an HQ and a Corps from France?

Kristansand
I have used this as a way to get to Oslo, since it is weaker and easier to access. Is Oslo actually worth the HQ, army, corps and Carriers used to do this?
(I have tried without an HQ and found instant supply problems.

Trondheim

I started a MP game with Marcinos, who took Trondheim in a single turn with what looked like 1x Special Forces, carriers and a battle ship. What's required to pull this off, and how worth it is it?
There is a mine south of Trondheim, which presumably is the prize. As Axis, I've had a corps move over it every few turns to burn it, but actually taking Trondheim back seems too much investment and effort for this stage of the game.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Tactics Focus: Allies vs an Axis Norway - 5/26/2021 12:05:47 PM   
petedalby

I've had v little experience of the Allies but I think Narvik is always worth a punt. It usually fails but sometimes it can work. And you have the added potential bonus of the French SPF turning Free French when France falls.

When playing as the Axis I've noticed that all of your units in Norway take a variable loss - with the exception of the Narvik garrison. I suspect in your game vs Marcinos the Trondheim garrison was probably reduced which made them an easy target. I don't believe there is an easy route to Oslo. Perhaps Fafnir could tell us.

Britain can build an extra SPF if they do so before Narvik. Or they could use Rupert Force if they decline Narvik. Yes - always support with the carriers.

I think there are 2 main reasons for acting vs Norway as the Allies. The first is to reduce German MPPs and tie up units. Probably the most important reason though is to deny the Norwegian ports to the Uboats who will interdict the Arctic convoys. If you can base Allied MBs in Norway you will have a much better chance of deterring the Uboats.

(in reply to MattShadowlord)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Tactics Focus: Allies vs an Axis Norway Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI