Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Why does Japan start with tier 1 Infantry Weapons tech?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Why does Japan start with tier 1 Infantry Weapons tech? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Why does Japan start with tier 1 Infantry Weapons tech? - 5/20/2021 12:38:46 PM   
Alcibiades73

I think Germany is the only other nation with it, and I fail to see the rationale. Japan definitely did not have more advanced infantry than the major European powers at this time - or at any juncture in WW2. I guess this may have been done to distinguish combat effectiveness between Japanese infantry and Chinese infantry, but surely this could have been achieved other ways? Perhaps give higher experience for all or most of Japanese infantry units - the way the game does with Japanese infantry units directly adjacent to Chinese infantry units already. Or reduce the number of Chinese Army units and employ more Corps. It just seems that giving the Japanese better technology than the European Allied nations in this respect is strange and jarringly immersion-breaking.

< Message edited by Alcibiades73 -- 5/20/2021 12:41:05 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Why does Japan start with tier 1 Infantry Weapons t... - 5/20/2021 5:11:19 PM   
Platoonist

There was a British officer who served on the front line in Burma in 1944.. His observation of Japanese infantry in wartime was that; "They were first class soldiers in third class army". Brave, stoic, capable of dealing with great privation under arduous conditions for long periods of time. But cursed with poor kit, lousy logistics and often unimaginative leadership.

(in reply to Alcibiades73)
Post #: 2
RE: Why does Japan start with tier 1 Infantry Weapons t... - 5/20/2021 5:15:08 PM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platoonist

There was a British officer who served on the front line in Burma in 1944.. His observation of Japanese infantry in wartime was that; "They were first class soldiers in third class army". Brave, stoic, capable of dealing with great privation under arduous conditions for long periods of time. But cursed with poor kit, lousy logistics and often unimaginative leadership.

Yeah, German observers who saw the Chinese front before WW2 were equally desultory regarding the Japanese army's equipment. They were inferior across the board - small arms, artillery, and obviously tanks. It probably was worse equipped than even the Italian army, and it boggles the mind that they are as advanced as Germans technologically in this respect here - and more advanced than any other European army. It's perhaps the most egregious departure from history in this game.

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 3
RE: Why does Japan start with tier 1 Infantry Weapons t... - 5/20/2021 7:29:10 PM   
Elessar2

I did notice that the Chinese HQs tended to be rather competent. I doubt that any should be above 4, save maybe Stilwell.

Post #: 4
RE: Why does Japan start with tier 1 Infantry Weapons t... - 5/20/2021 7:35:34 PM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

ORIGINAL: Elessar2

I did notice that the Chinese HQs tended to be rather competent. I doubt that any should be above 4, save maybe Stilwell.

Yup. China has 6 HQs over 6 rating. China overall is represented as far more competent than it was historically at this time. It's a bit silly. We are dealing with what is essentially a bunch of disorganized fiefdoms here, not Tang dynasty peak China.

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 5
RE: Why does Japan start with tier 1 Infantry Weapons t... - 5/20/2021 10:01:45 PM   
Alcibiades73

Okay, I dealt with this issue by following modding changes:

I took away the tier 1 in Infantry Weapons and instead replaced it with tier 1 in Infantry Warfare. This sounds fitting, as Infantry Warfare boosts morale - and if the Japanese Army had anything, it was this in superabundance.

Also, there were numerous Japanese infantry units that lost the tier 1 upgrade in Infantry Weapons; I decided to compensate by giving those same infantry units an extra point of Experience and corresponding extra point in Strength. MPP-wise, this was the same exact exchange. I do not think the combat results will dramatically differ either.

Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Why does Japan start with tier 1 Infantry Weapons tech? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI