Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What happens to scenario mods after a major update?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> What happens to scenario mods after a major update? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What happens to scenario mods after a major update? - 5/19/2021 10:36:11 AM   
Alcibiades73

I've made light modding changes on the main scenario: Just adding a few historical units and changing unit limits here and there mostly. Will this scenario mod continue to be playable after a major update? Conversely, if yes, will the changes from the same update apply to the scenario mod?
Post #: 1
RE: What happens to scenario mods after a major update? - 5/19/2021 11:46:12 AM   
Bo Rearguard

I've done my share of modding (mostly to War in Europe) I've yet to see anything go kaflooey after adding a patch. The system seems pretty robust to me. Other's mileage may vary but that's been my experience.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist ...." Union General John Sedgwick, 1864

(in reply to Alcibiades73)
Post #: 2
RE: What happens to scenario mods after a major update? - 5/19/2021 11:51:18 AM   
wobbleguts

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bo Rearguard

I've done my share of modding (mostly to War in Europe) I've yet to see anything go kaflooey after adding a patch. The system seems pretty robust to me. Other's mileage may vary but that's been my experience.

Agreed. I applied a patch mid-modded game and it didn't seem to change any of the mods.

(in reply to Bo Rearguard)
Post #: 3
RE: What happens to scenario mods after a major update? - 5/19/2021 11:56:31 AM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bo Rearguard

quote:

ORIGINAL: wobbleguts

Agreed. I applied a patch mid-modded game and it didn't seem to change any of the mods.

That's very encouraging. Thanks, guys!

(in reply to Bo Rearguard)
Post #: 4
RE: What happens to scenario mods after a major update? - 5/19/2021 12:39:11 PM   
BillRunacre

Updates don't affect any Mods, which is good because it means you are safe to continue playing them, but of course it does mean that if a mod has been based on an official campaign then the mod won't have any changes that were made to that campaign included in it.

So sometimes it might be best to remake the mod, but you can gauge the worth of doing that by reading the Patch Notes and seeing how important they are to your mod.

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

Post #: 5
RE: What happens to scenario mods after a major update? - 5/19/2021 12:56:53 PM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

ORIGINAL: BillRunacre

Updates don't affect any Mods, which is good because it means you are safe to continue playing them, but of course it does mean that if a mod has been based on an official campaign then the mod won't have any changes that were made to that campaign included in it.

So sometimes it might be best to remake the mod, but you can gauge the worth of doing that by reading the Patch Notes and seeing how important they are to your mod.

Got it - thanks. And yes, I suspected that campaign changes won't be reflected, and I'd have to remake the mod. That is fine, since my mods won't involve extensive, wholesale changes.

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 6
RE: What happens to scenario mods after a major update? - 5/19/2021 2:40:17 PM   
CaesarAug

Always a great idea to File\Export Data in the editor once your mod is complete.

That way, a player can easily remake a mod, based on an updated official campaign, by using the File\Import Data function in the editor. And then by choosing exactly what data you want restored from your mod.

Also important is to retain any mod changes to the localization.txt and script files, replace the game-default ones, and then update everything in the editor for the mod to work properly with the updated (modded) official campaign…

< Message edited by CaesarAug -- 5/19/2021 5:27:24 PM >

Post #: 7
RE: What happens to scenario mods after a major update? - 5/19/2021 5:50:30 PM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

ORIGINAL: CaesarAug

Always a great idea to File\Export Data in the editor once your mod is complete.

That way, a player can easily remake a mod, based on an updated official campaign, by using the File\Import Data function in the editor. And then by choosing exactly what data you want restored from your mod.

Also important is to retain any mod changes to the localization.txt and script files, replace the game-default ones, and then update everything in the editor for the mod to work properly with the updated (modded) official campaign…

Thanks - very useful!

(in reply to CaesarAug)
Post #: 8
RE: What happens to scenario mods after a major update? - 5/20/2021 5:14:04 PM   
CaesarAug

Sure, not at all! I’m always asking for help here, so every so often, just occasionally, I may be useful to somebody else!

Post #: 9
RE: What happens to scenario mods after a major update? - 5/20/2021 5:17:24 PM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

ORIGINAL: CaesarAug

Sure, not at all! I’m always asking for help here, so every so often, just occasionally, I may be useful to somebody else!

I hope I can do the same, too - some day! ;)

(in reply to CaesarAug)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> What happens to scenario mods after a major update? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI