Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Axis diplomatic targets?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Axis diplomatic targets? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Axis diplomatic targets? - 5/16/2021 3:32:07 PM   
Alcibiades73

I have asked this question on multiple threads, but nobody has actually answered, I assume because the question got buried under other questions. So I started a separate, dedicated thread.

Basically, I need guidance on what countries to target as Axis in terms of diplomacy. I did have a vague idea as Germany, and I stuck 3 chits in Spain and 2 chits in Turkey. I also considered Sweden. Are these sound choices? I am having second thoughts about Spain, because that's an additional potential route of amphibious invasion - potentially an even more of a "soft underbelly" of Axis than Italy. And since I have abandoned constructing a large German surface fleet, the idea of controlling Gibraltar is no longer as exhilarating either.

In contrast, I have not a clue in terms of Japan's diplomacy, and I invested 0 chits. (Japan also seems a lot more MPP-starved than Germany as well.) Is it even worth investing in diplomacy as Japan? I don't see any neighbors that is either 1) favorable toward Japan in terms of initial disposition, or 2) strong enough to offer a lot of aid.

< Message edited by Alcibiades73 -- 5/16/2021 3:42:09 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Axis diplomatic targets? - 5/16/2021 3:48:16 PM   
Platoonist

In playing as the Axis I've always given diplomacy the cold shoulder. When it comes to MPP expenditure it just seems best to go all in and concentrate it solely in research and production, rather than dispersing it on what seems like a very murky and ambiguous investment. Especially after that one experiment with Yugoslavia, where expensive diplomatic efforts just went up in smoke.

You're right about Spain being something of a weak flank. In one game against the Axis AI, the southeast coast of Axis-partnered Spain proved to be wide open. Omar Bradley and the troops were in Madrid about three turns later. It sure beat slogging up the Italian corridor.

(in reply to Alcibiades73)
Post #: 2
RE: Axis diplomatic targets? - 5/16/2021 3:49:32 PM   
ForzaA

Targets will depend a lot on your overall strategy (and whether MP or AI)

Turkey's a good target for Barbarossa, Spain's good for a naval strategy (extra ports, fair number of ships built and buildable)
(Sweden's a bit of both, also of note is that they might be used to complete the railroad to Norway (and thus the mines both in Norway and Sweden) via Leningrad

You can also choose to invest in various Majors (in particular, of course, USA and USSR) to reduce their mobilisation, reducing their income pre-war (and potentially keep them out of the war depending on the strategy pursued)

Very speculatively, there's also the DEI you can invest in to try and activate them prior to the US oil embargo (it will prevent the convoy from being cut)

Post #: 3
RE: Axis diplomatic targets? - 5/16/2021 4:41:11 PM   
pjg100

One point to know about diplo - I think you mentioned in the other thread that you can only invest three chits per minor. That is correct with respect to Spain, but not with respect to other minors, as to which you may invest up to the max available from your majors. Also note that JA and USSR cannot invest at all in diplo WRT Spain.

(in reply to ForzaA)
Post #: 4
RE: Axis diplomatic targets? - 5/16/2021 5:15:38 PM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platoonist

In playing as the Axis I've always given diplomacy the cold shoulder. When it comes to MPP expenditure it just seems best to go all in and concentrate it solely in research and production, rather than dispersing it on what seems like a very murky and ambiguous investment. Especially after that one experiment with Yugoslavia, where expensive diplomatic efforts just went up in smoke.

That seems definitely the sensible approach as Japan; I do, however, have some excess MPPs usually as Germany, and the Turkish and Swedish options seem viable at least.

quote:

You're right about Spain being something of a weak flank. In one game against the Axis AI, the southeast coast of Axis-partnered Spain proved to be wide open. Omar Bradley and the troops were in Madrid about three turns later. It sure beat slogging up the Italian corridor.

Franco was smart to not listen seriously to Hitler's overtures.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ForzaA

Targets will depend a lot on your overall strategy (and whether MP or AI)

For now I am playing just against AI.

quote:

Turkey's a good target for Barbarossa, Spain's good for a naval strategy (extra ports, fair number of ships built and buildable)

(Sweden's a bit of both, also of note is that they might be used to complete the railroad to Norway (and thus the mines both in Norway and Sweden) via Leningrad

If you had to pick? ;)

quote:

You can also choose to invest in various Majors (in particular, of course, USA and USSR) to reduce their mobilisation, reducing their income pre-war (and potentially keep them out of the war depending on the strategy pursued)

Is it really possible to permanently keep USSR or USA out of war? Also, I am not sure if it is desirable for Germany to keep USSR out, since there are no natural avenues for expansion in that case.

quote:

Very speculatively, there's also the DEI you can invest in to try and activate them prior to the US oil embargo (it will prevent the convoy from being cut)

I'd rather just seize that oil! ;)

quote:

ORIGINAL: pjg100

One point to know about diplo - I think you mentioned in the other thread that you can only invest three chits per minor. That is correct with respect to Spain, but not with respect to other minors, as to which you may invest up to the max available from your majors. Also note that JA and USSR cannot invest at all in diplo WRT Spain.

Got it!

< Message edited by Alcibiades73 -- 5/16/2021 5:21:22 PM >

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 5
RE: Axis diplomatic targets? - 5/16/2021 5:55:39 PM   
ForzaA

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alcibiades73

If you had to pick? ;)

If I'm playing "optimal", Turkey.
If I'm playing "for fun", Spain if Sealion, Sweden if Barbarossa.

quote:

I'd rather just seize that oil! ;)

If they mobilise on your side, you get both the oil(+convoy) AND their troops

Post #: 6
RE: Axis diplomatic targets? - 5/16/2021 5:56:44 PM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

If they mobilise on your side, you get both the oil(+convoy) AND their troops

Ah, okay!

(in reply to ForzaA)
Post #: 7
RE: Axis diplomatic targets? - 5/16/2021 9:16:31 PM   
ThunderLizard2

Several schools of thought:

* None - invest all in units and research

* Turkey - flip and get access to Iraq/Persia and Caucuses. Get a pro=Axis event that moves them towards Axis at around 40-50%

* Yugoslavia - get unit and no need to garrison - need to flip before coup event

* Sweden - ships and units - usually would do later game

* Spain - close off Med - be careful not to flip early or it increases US mobilization

* Majors - expensive at 150/unit - I never use but some players like to roll the dice

Post #: 8
RE: Axis diplomatic targets? - 5/17/2021 12:24:09 AM   
LoneRunner

I generally don't use diplomacy as Axis because it's a gamble that typically does not pay off.

For example, the usual target for the Axis is Turkey. To influence Turkey to join the Axis, Germany gets 5 chits, Italy 3 chits, and Japan 3 chits. Each chit costs 50 MPPs and earns a 5% chance of influence. With 11 chits (an investment of 550 MPPs), the Axis has a 55% chance each turn to encourage Turkey to join the Axis. If you get a hit, Turkey will move 4-8% toward the Axis. Depending on where you start, you got to get a lot of hits before Turkey actually joins the Axis.

In a multiplayer game, your opponent will notice right away that you have invested MPPs in diplomacy. You can see your opponents investment by selecting "Reports", then "Graphs", then "Research/Diplomacy". The brown line shows diplomacy MPPs. The Allies will figure out that you targeted Turkey, especially if Turkey is actually influenced by your efforts and will respond by investing chits to offset your chits. Then, you can invest more MPPs to offset the Allies response.

Whew, it eventually turns into a bottomless pit of wasted MPPs when the Axis really needs to be investing in tanks and infantry for the invasion of Russia.

(in reply to ThunderLizard2)
Post #: 9
RE: Axis diplomatic targets? - 5/17/2021 1:00:01 AM   
Platoonist

quote:

ORIGINAL: LoneRunner

I generally don't use diplomacy as Axis because it's a gamble that typically does not pay off.

Whew, it eventually turns into a bottomless pit of wasted MPPs when the Axis really needs to be investing in tanks and infantry for the invasion of Russia.

That's the prism through I've always viewed it. When you fund R&D or purchase units as Germany you know exactly where the money is going. Diplomacy is like trying to purchase an armor unit on some dodgy installment plan where it might show up in six months or eight months or never....

About the only time I engage in Axis diplomacy anymore is if I see the Allies are really leaning on Sweden. Can't afford to lose those iron ore mines.

(in reply to LoneRunner)
Post #: 10
RE: Axis diplomatic targets? - 5/17/2021 2:13:52 AM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

ORIGINAL: ThunderLizard2

Several schools of thought:

* None - invest all in units and research

* Turkey - flip and get access to Iraq/Persia and Caucuses. Get a pro=Axis event that moves them towards Axis at around 40-50%

* Yugoslavia - get unit and no need to garrison - need to flip before coup event

* Sweden - ships and units - usually would do later game

* Spain - close off Med - be careful not to flip early or it increases US mobilization

* Majors - expensive at 150/unit - I never use but some players like to roll the dice

I am leaning toward Turkey now. And I didn't realize Majors cost triple the normal MPPs; that even more solidifies my reluctance.

quote:

For example, the usual target for the Axis is Turkey. To influence Turkey to join the Axis, Germany gets 5 chits, Italy 3 chits, and Japan 3 chits. Each chit costs 50 MPPs and earns a 5% chance of influence. With 11 chits (an investment of 550 MPPs), the Axis has a 55% chance each turn to encourage Turkey to join the Axis. If you get a hit, Turkey will move 4-8% toward the Axis. Depending on where you start, you got to get a lot of hits before Turkey actually joins the Axis.

In a multiplayer game, your opponent will notice right away that you have invested MPPs in diplomacy. You can see your opponents investment by selecting "Reports", then "Graphs", then "Research/Diplomacy". The brown line shows diplomacy MPPs. The Allies will figure out that you targeted Turkey, especially if Turkey is actually influenced by your efforts and will respond by investing chits to offset your chits. Then, you can invest more MPPs to offset the Allies response.

Yeah, I understand it's a gamble for the MPP-starved Axis; but I am going to play just vs. AI for now, so that makes it a bit less of a gamble.

But do you really need to invest with all three countries to get results? Italy, for instance, does not even have the MPPs to produce units and research tech - much less diplomacy!

Let's say, I am aiming for an April 1941 start of Barbarossa. Can I with reasonable assurance get Turkey to join by January of 1941 or so, if I only invest with Germany and Japan?

(in reply to ThunderLizard2)
Post #: 11
RE: Axis diplomatic targets? - 5/17/2021 2:18:39 AM   
Alcibiades73

Oh, I forgot to ask: What about Finland? Could they give me a fast back-door access to Leningrad? Or at least allow me to hit Leningrad from two directions, as my Barbarossa ground to a halt in Leningrad (as well as Moscow and Stalingrad) the last run?

Post #: 12
RE: Axis diplomatic targets? - 5/17/2021 3:42:12 AM   
Shellshock

quote:

Let's say, I am aiming for an April 1941 start of Barbarossa. Can I with reasonable assurance get Turkey to join by January of 1941 or so, if I only invest with Germany and Japan?

It's been a while. But I recall in one of my training games I courted Turkey off and on as best I could afford it. A lot of wining and dining of Turkish officials in the Wilhemstrasse.

They didn't join the German cause until AFTER I defeated the Soviet Union in difficult struggle and Axis victory was assured. All those wasted points.

Gave up on the diplomatic model after that. Too chancy. It just seemd to make more sense to invest in a sure thing like more troops.

Post #: 13
RE: Axis diplomatic targets? - 5/17/2021 4:41:28 AM   
LoneRunner

quote:

But do you really need to invest with all three countries to get results? Italy, for instance, does not even have the MPPs to produce units and research tech - much less diplomacy!

Good question. You are right, Italy can barely scrape up 50 MPPs for diplomacy nevermind 150.

Without Italy, only 8 chits are available for the Axis to influence Turkey (Germany 5 and Japan 3). With 8 chits the Axis has 40% chance to get a hit each Axis turn and shift Turkey 12-24% (I had it wrong on the last post, according to the manual majors move 4-8%, minors 12-24%. However, I don't think the manual is correct.). Yeah, hits only occurs on the Axis turn when the Axis has the most chits invested.

Just using averages, at 40%, I should get two diplomacy hits every five Axis turns. So, on average, every five Axis turns I should be able to shift Turkey 36% (18% x 2).

In my last game France fell July 40. At the time Turkey was at 14%. In order to get Turkey to join the Axis I have to get Turkey to 90. After 90 I'm golden because Turkey will automatically declare war in one or two turns. Okay, in order to move Turkey into the Axis I needed to shift them 76% (14% to 90%).

Using the above figures, you will find that on average, it should take about 11 Axis turns to bring Turkey to 90%. That's about a year and that's if the Allies do nothing.

Throw Italy's chits into the ring and the chance for a hit rises to 55%. At 55% it should take about 8 Axis turns to bring Turkey to 90%. Again, that's assuming the Allies do nothing.

In my current MP game it's 1943 and the Allies invested chits into influencing Sweden. Normally I don't challenge the USA in diplomacy because their chits are worth 7%. However, I figured all Allied chits are tied up in Sweden. I immediately invested 10 chits into Turkey. Last turn I got a hit and moved Turkey 6%. Yeah, not the 12-24% that the manual states. So, it appears that the manual is wrong and diplomacy is even worse than I thought.

< Message edited by LoneRunner -- 5/17/2021 4:50:49 AM >

Post #: 14
RE: Axis diplomatic targets? - 5/17/2021 6:35:41 AM   
Epekepe

Actually the manual says:

"If diplomacy succeeds, there will be a favorable increase of 4-8% in the
targeted country’s political leaning towards your side, with a 33% chance of
that swing being 12-24% if the targeted country is a Minor."

< Message edited by Epekepe -- 5/17/2021 6:37:00 AM >

(in reply to LoneRunner)
Post #: 15
RE: Axis diplomatic targets? - 5/17/2021 10:43:18 AM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shellshock

It's been a while. But I recall in one of my training games I courted Turkey off and on as best I could afford it. A lot of wining and dining of Turkish officials in the Wilhemstrasse.

They didn't join the German cause until AFTER I defeated the Soviet Union in difficult struggle and Axis victory was assured. All those wasted points.

Gave up on the diplomatic model after that. Too chancy. It just seemd to make more sense to invest in a sure thing like more troops.

Yikes, did you court Turkey with all 3 Axis nations?

quote:

Good question. You are right, Italy can barely scrape up 50 MPPs for diplomacy nevermind 150.

Without Italy, only 8 chits are available for the Axis to influence Turkey (Germany 5 and Japan 3). With 8 chits the Axis has 40% chance to get a hit each Axis turn and shift Turkey 12-24% (I had it wrong on the last post, according to the manual majors move 4-8%, minors 12-24%. However, I don't think the manual is correct.). Yeah, hits only occurs on the Axis turn when the Axis has the most chits invested.

Just using averages, at 40%, I should get two diplomacy hits every five Axis turns. So, on average, every five Axis turns I should be able to shift Turkey 36% (18% x 2).

In my last game France fell July 40. At the time Turkey was at 14%. In order to get Turkey to join the Axis I have to get Turkey to 90. After 90 I'm golden because Turkey will automatically declare war in one or two turns. Okay, in order to move Turkey into the Axis I needed to shift them 76% (14% to 90%).

Using the above figures, you will find that on average, it should take about 11 Axis turns to bring Turkey to 90%. That's about a year and that's if the Allies do nothing.

Throw Italy's chits into the ring and the chance for a hit rises to 55%. At 55% it should take about 8 Axis turns to bring Turkey to 90%. Again, that's assuming the Allies do nothing.

In my current MP game it's 1943 and the Allies invested chits into influencing Sweden. Normally I don't challenge the USA in diplomacy because their chits are worth 7%. However, I figured all Allied chits are tied up in Sweden. I immediately invested 10 chits into Turkey. Last turn I got a hit and moved Turkey 6%. Yeah, not the 12-24% that the manual states. So, it appears that the manual is wrong and diplomacy is even worse than I thought.

That's even more discouraging. But thanks - better than if I bank all my hopes on diplomacy and get disappointed in the game.

I guess diplomacy should be something that I may invest in, but cannot 100 percent count!

(in reply to Shellshock)
Post #: 16
RE: Axis diplomatic targets? - 5/17/2021 11:30:33 AM   
Illiniwek80

quote:

That's even more discouraging. But thanks - better than if I bank all my hopes on diplomacy and get disappointed in the game.

In my last game Sweden turned to me in 1942. Their troops took Murmansk, participated in taking Moscow, then after the USSR surrendered they were amphibiously invading South Africa.

Post #: 17
RE: Axis diplomatic targets? - 5/17/2021 3:30:58 PM   
LoneRunner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Epekepe

Actually the manual says:

"If diplomacy succeeds, there will be a favorable increase of 4-8% in the
targeted country’s political leaning towards your side, with a 33% chance of
that swing being 12-24% if the targeted country is a Minor."

You are right Epekepe. Not sure how I missed the 33%.

So the odds of converting Turkey are worse than I thought.

With a 33% chance of a 12-24% swing and 67% chance of a 4-8% swing, on average a hit would swing Turkey about 10% (9.96).
So with 8 chits invested, on average it should take about 19 Axis turns to swing Turkey in the Axis. Wow! That's about a year and a half. No wonder I gave up converting Turkey.

(in reply to Epekepe)
Post #: 18
RE: Axis diplomatic targets? - 5/17/2021 3:39:10 PM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

You are right Epekepe. Not sure how I missed the 33%.

So the odds of converting Turkey are worse than I thought.

With a 33% chance of a 12-24% swing and 67% chance of a 4-8% swing, on average a hit would swing Turkey about 10% (9.96).
So with 8 chits invested, on average it should take about 19 Axis turns to swing Turkey in the Axis. Wow! That's about a year and a half. No wonder I gave up converting Turkey.

Yeah, it looks you have to approach and prepare things as if you won't get the alliance but will be happy if you get lucky and do get it.

(in reply to LoneRunner)
Post #: 19
RE: Axis diplomatic targets? - 5/17/2021 3:57:53 PM   
LoneRunner

quote:

Diplomacy is like trying to purchase an armor unit on some dodgy installment plan where it might show up in six months or eight months or never....

About the only time I engage in Axis diplomacy anymore is if I see the Allies are really leaning on Sweden. Can't afford to lose those iron ore mines.

Haha, great analogy Platoonist.

Seems like investing in diplomacy on Sweden would be a bad play for the Allies if Germany still owns Denmark. As the Axis I would not respond diplomatically but wait until just before Sweden converts and invade Sweden. Really hard for the Allies to respond. The Allies would have wasted several hundred MPPs and the Axis owns the mines.

In addition, with all Allied chits tied up in Sweden, the Axis would have a free hand to go after another minor like Spain or Turkey.

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 20
RE: Axis diplomatic targets? - 5/17/2021 9:40:47 PM   
Alcibiades73

Anyone else try to invade Vichy? If yes, then when's the best time to do it?

(in reply to LoneRunner)
Post #: 21
RE: Axis diplomatic targets? - 5/17/2021 9:54:33 PM   
taffjones

Yes, not sure about the best timing. It depends on what your strategy is.

But it can be useful if the Italians capture Vichy, they then collect the MPP, so it helps bump them up a bit

Post #: 22
RE: Axis diplomatic targets? - 5/17/2021 9:55:20 PM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

ORIGINAL: taffjones

Yes, not sure about the best timing. It depends on what your strategy is.

But it can be useful if the Italians capture Vichy, they then collect the MPP, so it helps bump them up a bit

Ah, you've given me ideas to address Italy's MPP problem! ;)

When did you do it? And did it work out well?

(in reply to taffjones)
Post #: 23
RE: Axis diplomatic targets? - 5/18/2021 1:42:52 AM   
Illiniwek80

I have turned Sweden a bunch of times. Here is what you get, in my experience, on average, for an investment of, say, 400 MPPs, after a delay of, say 2 years from going full on prioritization of Sweden:

1 HQ
2 armies
2 CAs
1 DD
1 Fighter
1 Corps
1 Garrison

Worthwhile? You decide.

Post #: 24
RE: Axis diplomatic targets? - 5/18/2021 11:21:36 AM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

ORIGINAL: Illiniwek80

I have turned Sweden a bunch of times. Here is what you get, in my experience, on average, for an investment of, say, 400 MPPs, after a delay of, say 2 years from going full on prioritization of Sweden:

1 HQ
2 armies
2 CAs
1 DD
1 Fighter
1 Corps
1 Garrison

Worthwhile? You decide.

That is indeed a lot of hardware. I suppose it might be worth it if you do not have a specific timeframe that you must turn (e.g. Turkey for Barbarossa).

(in reply to Illiniwek80)
Post #: 25
RE: Axis diplomatic targets? - 5/18/2021 11:33:59 AM   
Illiniwek80

quote:

That is indeed a lot of hardware. I suppose it might be worth it if you do not have a specific timeframe that you must turn (e.g. Turkey for Barbarossa).

Forgot to mention that, in addition to the above units and the income, Sweden's units have a real eye pleasing color scheme! That's why I lead them in assaults. In my current game, they are somewhere in Tibet.

Post #: 26
RE: Axis diplomatic targets? - 5/18/2021 11:43:29 AM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

quote:

Forgot to mention that, in addition to the above units and the income, Sweden's units have a real eye pleasing color scheme! That's why I lead them in assaults. In my current game, they are somewhere in Tibet.

Wow. So you are trying to link up with Japan? That's my dream as Axis, but Japan struggles to finish China, and Germany can't even get to the Caucasus. But I will see what happens in my new game.

Post #: 27
RE: Axis diplomatic targets? - 5/18/2021 11:55:30 AM   
Illiniwek80

quote:

Wow. So you are trying to link up with Japan? That's my dream as Axis, but Japan struggles to finish China, and Germany can't even get to the Caucasus. But I will see what happens in my new game.

Well, yeah, the Allies have offered to unconditionally surrender but I am often too emotionally invested to accept, and its fun to send units off to out-of-the-way scenic places to do some sightseeing. It also seems premature to end the game until China has surrendered, or maybe seeing Finnish troops patrolling the streets of Chicago.

Post #: 28
RE: Axis diplomatic targets? - 5/18/2021 12:11:35 PM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

Well, yeah, the Allies have offered to unconditionally surrender but I am often too emotionally invested to accept, and its fun to send units off to out-of-the-way scenic places to do some sightseeing. It also seems premature to end the game until China has surrendered, or maybe seeing Finnish troops patrolling the streets of Chicago.

LMAO!

Post #: 29
RE: Axis diplomatic targets? - 5/18/2021 12:15:36 PM   
Illiniwek80

quote:

LMAO!

Know that else is fun and easy (a little off-topic, but then I'll stop)? Sending Japanese troops to sneakily occupy Anchorage. It doesn't accomplish anything militarily, but it really cheeses America off!

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Axis diplomatic targets? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI