Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Italian Submarine disappearing

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Italian Submarine disappearing Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Italian Submarine disappearing - 5/16/2021 3:04:35 PM   
ForzaA

Second time now I'm looking for an Italian submarine, and simply can't find it (sadly don't have the first save to confirm it's the SAME submarine that disappeared)

Italy starts with 1 Submarine on the map (Leonardo da Vinci) and one in Production (Axum IIRC?)
Now I'm in '41 (vs. AI)
I'm looking for my 2 submarines, can only find one.
Haven't lost it (logs confirm I haven't lost an Italian sub) , but it's simply not there anymore.
Don't recall or see any events that would explain having lost it either.. [I do have a save available if that's helpful]

Anyone else noticed this and/or have an explanation as to why my submarine may have disappeared that I might've missed?

(note, I do have the Japanese played by the AI, mentioning that since that DOES activate certain extra scripts)
Post #: 1
RE: Italian Submarine disappearing - 5/16/2021 3:15:41 PM   
boudi

You don't remember where approximately it was the previous turn ? You're sure it disappeared from the map ? Did you try with the strategic map ? Did it pass a loop ?

(in reply to ForzaA)
Post #: 2
RE: Italian Submarine disappearing - 5/16/2021 3:21:02 PM   
ForzaA

I know where it was approximately (no loops)
And the number of ships I can find on the map (3 BB, 2 CA, 1 CL, 1 DD, 1 SS) matches the number of ships Italy has according to the "reports" (8)

Like I said, not the first time this happened. Once, I'll buy it being me being forgetful and/or confused. Twice, we have some sort of pattern. Just don't know what is causing it.

(in reply to boudi)
Post #: 3
RE: Italian Submarine disappearing - 5/16/2021 3:33:51 PM   
Platoonist

I can't recall a submarine unit ever going missing, although sometimes I do lose track of them in the wider Pacific. Your reports tab doesn't show one Italian sub as sunk does it? Sometimes you can miss things during the AI's turn like an air attack.

(in reply to ForzaA)
Post #: 4
RE: Italian Submarine disappearing - 5/16/2021 3:41:49 PM   
ForzaA

Nope, just the one destroyer sunk (don't know the exact details on the first game, so not sure what exact losses were then, but definitely no Italian subs sank that time either)

Actually had a save a few turns earlier that I'm going back to now and just "rush" through the turns, see if I can have it happen again between turns.. for science

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 5
RE: Italian Submarine disappearing - 5/16/2021 3:54:54 PM   
Platoonist

There are those left-right arrows in the bottom interface you can use to cycle through every unit currently on the map. You could try looking for it there unless it has been set to 'sleep'.

However, if it's not there...then yes we must turn to science for solutions.

(in reply to ForzaA)
Post #: 6
RE: Italian Submarine disappearing - 5/16/2021 7:21:14 PM   
DrZom

quote:

ORIGINAL: ForzaA

Second time now I'm looking for an Italian submarine, and simply can't find it (sadly don't have the first save to confirm it's the SAME submarine that disappeared)

Italy starts with 1 Submarine on the map (Leonardo da Vinci) and one in Production (Axum IIRC?)
Now I'm in '41 (vs. AI)
Haven't lost it (logs confirm I haven't lost an Italian sub) , but it's simply not there anymore.
Don't recall or see any events that would explain having lost it either.. [I do have a save available if that's helpful]

Anyone else noticed this and/or have an explanation as to why my submarine may have disappeared that I might've missed?

(note, I do have the Japanese played by the AI, mentioning that since that DOES activate certain extra scripts)

That is the Sea Hag at work. Nobody knows where she comes from or where she goes... not even when she will appear. But when you are not payin' attention, she takes down a sub. (She can't physically handle anythin' larger.) Don't matter whose sub it is, neither; she don't care none.

It is the Sea Hag I tell you. The Sea Hag!

(in reply to ForzaA)
Post #: 7
RE: Italian Submarine disappearing - 5/16/2021 7:42:03 PM   
Platoonist

quote:

ORIGINAL: DrZom

That is the Sea Hag at work. Nobody knows where she comes from or where she goes... not even when she will appear. But when you are not payin' attention, she takes down a sub. (She can't physically handle anythin' larger.) Don't matter whose sub it is, neither; she don't care none.

It is the Sea Hag I tell you. The Sea Hag!

Ah. You've just provided the name for my newly christened UK destroyer.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to DrZom)
Post #: 8
RE: Italian Submarine disappearing - 5/17/2021 9:30:37 AM   
BillRunacre

quote:

ORIGINAL: ForzaA

Now I'm in '41 (vs. AI)

You're right, if no subs have been lost then Italy should have 2 by 1941.

This does seem rather mysterious, and it may not be possible to get to the bottom of it from a save, but there's no harm in sending it.

You can email me the turn to bill.runacre@furysoftware.com

Though before doing so, if you press L and go through the logs, is it mentioned anywhere?

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to ForzaA)
Post #: 9
RE: Italian Submarine disappearing - 5/17/2021 3:40:54 PM   
ForzaA

You have mail. Hope there's some clue in there that points you at the cause, but I'm stumped.

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 10
RE: Italian Submarine disappearing - 5/17/2021 8:42:50 PM   
BillRunacre

Thanks, and I was stumped too, but Hubert is hopefully on the right track in getting to the bottom of this. Fingers crossed!

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to ForzaA)
Post #: 11
RE: Italian Submarine disappearing - 5/18/2021 4:34:21 PM   
Cpuncher

When a sub dives, it has a chance to lose 1 strength. A strength 1 sub may dive and lose that final 1 strength, and disappear. If I remember correctly, the sub lost this way will not be counted as a kill and will not record in the unit loss board. This will affect all subs, and happened often in my past games.

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 12
RE: Italian Submarine disappearing - 5/18/2021 7:10:53 PM   
Hubert Cater

Hi ForzaA,

I've taken a look and unfortunately cannot see any obvious reasons why the sub would have disappeared from play. I've made a note of it for my end for now.

Hubert

(in reply to Cpuncher)
Post #: 13
RE: Italian Submarine disappearing - 5/18/2021 7:15:20 PM   
Hubert Cater

Hi ForzaA,

I've taken a look and unfortunately cannot see any obvious reasons why the sub would have disappeared from play. I've made a note of it for my end for now.

Hubert

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 14
RE: Italian Submarine disappearing - 5/18/2021 10:52:28 PM   
firsteds

I am pretty sure ForzaA's missing Italian submarine just turned up in my PBEM game and ambushed a French battleship. Please don't lose it again

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 15
RE: Italian Submarine disappearing - 5/19/2021 10:35:42 AM   
ForzaA

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cpuncher

When a sub dives, it has a chance to lose 1 strength. A strength 1 sub may dive and lose that final 1 strength, and disappear. If I remember correctly, the sub lost this way will not be counted as a kill and will not record in the unit loss board. This will affect all subs, and happened often in my past games.

A theoretical possibility I hadn't considered,
does suffer a bit from lack of suspects (based on a switch sides in the save, allied air & naval assets in the area amount to 1 decrepit CA, 2 Tac, 1 Strat, 1 Figher)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hubert Cater

Hi ForzaA,

Hubert

Thanks,
all I can really hope for with as little hard info as I had.

I'll be sure to keep a careful watch over my submarines in the future :D

(in reply to Cpuncher)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Italian Submarine disappearing Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI