Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and questions Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and q... - 5/21/2021 12:56:29 PM   
wobbleguts

quote:

ORIGINAL: Illiniwek80

quote:

I did, but edited the games build limits as well in case I wanted to play without soft builds in the future. I've heard the AI doesn't handle soft build well so I changed the build limit for all major powers to make a more satisfying game for me if I choose to play it again without soft builds. Probably should have explained it better.

That's ok; thanks! I asked because there's always something I don't know. This has given me inspiration to build a German military consisting exclusively of dozens of paratroops and see what havoc I can wreak.

A little unwise but good luck with it.

(in reply to Illiniwek80)
Post #: 61
RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and q... - 5/21/2021 12:59:36 PM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

That's ok; thanks! I asked because there's always something I don't know. This has given me inspiration to build a German military consisting exclusively of dozens of paratroops and see what havoc I can wreak.

Stuff like 3 Maritine Bombers for Germany or "dozens of" Paratroops for Germany may be too extreme in terms of both historical accuracy and balancing.

However, I have increased German Paratroops limit by 1. I like these incremental +1 increases for balance purposes; and historically Germany had more airborne divisions than the United States during World War 2 anyways. So Germany having the same number of paratroops as the U.S. seems noncontroversial.

The only radical change I made in this game was to dramatically reduce the number of capital ships in this game. (I am going to rant about the number of capital ships in this game some day.) The number of capital ships in this game is one of the more egregious historical inaccuracies in this game - as well as one of the more unbalanced elements in this game - so I felt compelled to do something about it immediately.

< Message edited by Alcibiades73 -- 5/21/2021 1:01:20 PM >

Post #: 62
RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and q... - 5/25/2021 9:15:28 PM   
Chernobyl

Does the Axis AI get extra/free units (that a human PBEM opponent would not) even on the "intermediate" level (no bonus)?

I am playing the game for the first time, it's 1942 and I'm wondering if the Russians are getting some extras because they sure have a ton of corps.

(in reply to Alcibiades73)
Post #: 63
RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and q... - 5/25/2021 10:26:44 PM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chernobyl

Does the Axis AI get extra/free units (that a human PBEM opponent would not) even on the "intermediate" level (no bonus)?

I am playing the game for the first time, it's 1942 and I'm wondering if the Russians are getting some extras because they sure have a ton of corps.

Yes, tons. This is why the devs should be cautious about buffing the Soviet Union. It would be really discouraging for newer players. You can see the list of scripted AI free units. At Intermediate it's about 50 free units for the Soviet Union?

Edit: I just counted. It's 46 free units for Intermediate AI. It's preposterous, I think, at that difficulty.

< Message edited by Alcibiades73 -- 5/25/2021 10:29:22 PM >

(in reply to Chernobyl)
Post #: 64
RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and q... - 5/26/2021 4:07:46 AM   
Chernobyl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alcibiades73
It's 46 free units for Intermediate AI.

Ah, okay good to know. I was thinking I must have played extremely poorly because the Soviets still have so many units left. It's early June 1942 and I've destroyed 88 Soviet land/air units (most of them at supply level less than 5 for a "full kill") and they still have large armies opposing me on three fronts. I thought damn I would totally lose against a human player. Ditto for China, I've destroyed 70 Chinese units and they are basically wiped out at this point but there's no way I think a human player would have surely beaten me if they had that many units

Post #: 65
RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and q... - 5/26/2021 5:29:08 AM   
OldCrowBalthazor

quote:

Yes, tons. This is why the devs should be cautious about buffing the Soviet Union. It would be really discouraging for newer players. You can see the list of scripted AI free units. At Intermediate it's about 50 free units for the Soviet Union?

Edit: I just counted. It's 46 free units for Intermediate AI. It's preposterous, I think, at that difficulty.

I think 'scorched earth' could be a little stronger as a buff for the Soviets...but the rest I think is fine imo.

< Message edited by OldCrowBalthazor -- 5/26/2021 5:30:51 AM >

Post #: 66
RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and q... - 5/26/2021 11:02:26 AM   
Illiniwek80

quote:

Ditto for China, I've destroyed 70 Chinese units and they are basically wiped out at this point but there's no way I think a human player would have surely beaten me if they had that many units

Well, I can consistently beat the USSR, but the only way I can defeat China is by taking their western cities out with Germany. Last game I tried going 'all in' from the get-go on China, including massive airpower and throwing everything into it just to see what it takes, and still can't quite get there until it 1944 and everything else has fallen apart. I would like to hear if anyone else has done it.

(in reply to Chernobyl)
Post #: 67
RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and q... - 5/26/2021 11:08:34 AM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

Ah, okay good to know. I was thinking I must have played extremely poorly because the Soviets still have so many units left. It's early June 1942 and I've destroyed 88 Soviet land/air units (most of them at supply level less than 5 for a "full kill") and they still have large armies opposing me on three fronts. I thought damn I would totally lose against a human player. Ditto for China, I've destroyed 70 Chinese units and they are basically wiped out at this point but there's no way I think a human player would have surely beaten me if they had that many units

Yeah, I destroyed some 110 Soviet units the first time I played, if I recall correctly, by early 1943; and I got stuck at the three main objective cities of Leningrad, Moscow, and Stalingrad. I just quit in frustration.

Did you get past those 3 cities? And when did you start Barbarossa?

quote:

ORIGINAL: OldCrowBalthazor

I think 'scorched earth' could be a little stronger as a buff for the Soviets...but the rest I think is fine imo.

You are a veteran though. Most new players will start at Intermediate and vs. the AI; and I can guarantee that the vast majority will feel the free AI units to be overwhelming and maddening. (There are more threads to this effect on the Steam forums - which, unlike this forum, is more populated by newer players.)

quote:

Well, I can consistently beat the USSR, but the only way I can defeat China is by taking their western cities out with Germany. Last game I tried going 'all in' from the get-go on China, including massive airpower and throwing everything into it just to see what it takes, and still can't quite get there until it 1944 and everything else has fallen apart. I would like to hear if anyone else has done it.

Do you have room to focus on China as Japan that late?

< Message edited by Alcibiades73 -- 5/26/2021 11:13:19 AM >

(in reply to Chernobyl)
Post #: 68
RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and q... - 5/26/2021 11:18:08 AM   
Illiniwek80

quote:

Do you have room to focus on China as Japan that late?

No, that's why everything collapsed. I do have a lone SF unit in Kuwait though. Turned out surprisingly easy to take my spare forces to India and take it out. Didn't bring enough to hold on very long tho. Lesson for the future. I try to go to extremes to see what the possibilities are.

Post #: 69
RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and q... - 5/26/2021 11:30:39 AM   
Platoonist

quote:

Yeah, I destroyed some 110 Soviet units the first time I played, if I recall correctly, by early 1943; and I got stuck at the three main objective cities of Leningrad, Moscow, and Stalingrad. I just quit in frustration.

Did you get past those 3 cities? And when did you start Barbarossa?

This is the final tally of Soviet units I destroyed in my last game against the Allied AI. I think my invasion started in around April 1941. As per usual, the Soviets didn't quit until Kuibyshev and Perm fell.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 70
RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and q... - 5/26/2021 11:46:44 AM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

ORIGINAL: Illiniwek80e]

No, that's why everything collapsed. I do have a lone SF unit in Kuwait though. Turned out surprisingly easy to take my spare forces to India and take it out. Didn't bring enough to hold on very long tho. Lesson for the future. I try to go to extremes to see what the possibilities are.

Wait, so you basically destroyed USSR AND China and still lost? I guess USA is that powerful in this game ;(

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platoonist

This is the final tally of Soviet units I destroyed in my last game against the Allied AI. I think my invasion started in around April 1941. As per usual, the Soviets didn't quit until Kuibyshev and Perm fell.

So it looks like you destroyed a bit over 200 units? When was this achieved?

Post #: 71
RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and q... - 5/26/2021 11:52:44 AM   
Platoonist

quote:

Spring of 1944. It was a long road east.

Post #: 72
RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and q... - 5/26/2021 11:54:48 AM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

quote:

Spring of 1944. It was a long road east.

Ah, so that's what I have to expect - even on an optimistic scenario...

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 73
RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and q... - 5/26/2021 7:16:14 PM   
Hubert Cater

quote:

quote:

It's 46 free units for Intermediate AI.

Hi Chernobyl,

In practice, it's not necessarily this many units though, it all depends on how you play as not all of those events will fire. For example, It could be that many if you defeat the Soviets completely, but a lot less depending upon how far you progress.

The implementation is a distribution of these AI bonus units over time and triggered by positions and advances or not, and only to help balance out the game (to help the AI) and to limit the snowball effect of once things go bad, they can go bad in a hurry ruining the game.

Your best bet if there is concerns here is to choose an easier level, this way less bonus units will be applied, or to select the default level and simply turn off the bonus unit scripts as desired. This can be done via OPTIONS->ADVANCED->SCRIPTS and then turning off all applicable UNIT events that are labelled as 'ALLIED AI: USSR'

Hope this helps,
Hubert

(in reply to Chernobyl)
Post #: 74
RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and q... - 5/26/2021 7:38:29 PM   
Illiniwek80

I have kind of a related problem for anyone who cares to answer. In my last two games as Japan I noticed that Germany is getting overwhelmed and wiped out by the USSR because it has upgraded all, or nearly all, its army to Mobility 1; therefore, it has insufficient units to fill gaps in its lines and no reserves. Anything I can do about this?

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 75
RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and q... - 5/26/2021 7:43:51 PM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

I have kind of a related problem for anyone who cares to answer. In my last two games as Japan I noticed that Germany is getting overwhelmed and wiped out by the USSR because it has upgraded all, or nearly all, its army to Mobility 1; therefore, it has insufficient units to fill gaps in its lines and no reserves. Anything I can do about this?

Is AI playing Germany? This is the problem I am afraid of encountering, if I were only to control one nation.

Also, does the AI, too, get free AI units, if the human player is on the same side but only playing one nation?

Post #: 76
RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and q... - 5/26/2021 9:36:30 PM   
Chernobyl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hubert Cater
Hope this helps,

Ah okay thank you, I was trying to play and get a sense of how much a real opponent might have in terms of units and MPP. The best way to do this would be to play hotseat against myself, but that takes a lot longer :)

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 77
RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and q... - 5/26/2021 10:54:15 PM   
Platoonist

quote:

Also, does the AI, too, get free AI units, if the human player is on the same side but only playing one nation?

Yes, I've seen the AI UK using some of those unnumbered ground units in Italy when playing solely as the Soviet Union. At which point they entered the game I couldn't tell you.

As far as I can tell there are no "free" naval units for the AI. At least I haven't seen any yet in my old saved games even with fog of war off to check.

Post #: 78
RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and q... - 5/27/2021 12:22:46 PM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

Yes, I've seen the AI UK using some of those unnumbered ground units in Italy when playing solely as the Soviet Union. At which point they entered the game I couldn't tell you.

As far as I can tell there are no "free" naval units for the AI. At least I haven't seen any yet in my old saved games even with fog of war off to check.

Ah, that's interesting. Still, AI vs. AI would favor Allies, since I'd imagine that the AI won't know how to take advantage of the initial military advantage and it is better leveraging superior economy and thus unit spamming?

< Message edited by Alcibiades73 -- 5/27/2021 12:23:08 PM >

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 79
RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and q... - 5/27/2021 12:44:47 PM   
Platoonist

It's always been a basic rule of thumb with AIs that they do better at playing defense than offense. So it follows that effective Axis play would be a challenge for the AI as so much depends on an effective and early offensive strategy for them.

Post #: 80
RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and q... - 5/27/2021 1:31:38 PM   
Hubert Cater

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hubert Cater
Hope this helps,

Ah okay thank you, I was trying to play and get a sense of how much a real opponent might have in terms of units and MPP. The best way to do this would be to play hotseat against myself, but that takes a lot longer :)

What I would suggest then is to try playing at the Green difficulty level as that pretty much turns off almost all bonus AI unit events, but setting the MPP modifier back to 0%. It would be a customized Green level that is a quick and easy way to disable all the bonus unit scripts.

(in reply to Chernobyl)
Post #: 81
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and questions Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI