Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and questions Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and q... - 5/16/2021 5:58:17 PM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platoonist

It's been my observational experience that as U-Boats get more advanced in their design, they seem to take a heavier toll on MPP loss when sitting on convoy lanes. They don't turn into Akula-class attack boats, mind you but they do some do do somewhat better than at the war's outset. They certainly do pick up experience as well.

The best experience I ever had with my U-Boat fleet was when playing as the Euro-Axis I set them up in a north-south picket line across the Atlantic, in about the area where you mostly likely expect long range transports from the United States making a straight line for North Africa to cross. I must have timed it just right. My submariners ambushed and sank a US HQ and US Army unit in transit and caught up with and sank a corps later. I doubt if this would work against a wary human player, but the AI often pushes its amphibious and transport fleets out across the Atlantic with no ships scouting ahead to make sure the route is safe.

So do you have U boats moving around in large groups? I am afraid to do that in case they get jumped by a huge fleet.

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 31
RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and q... - 5/16/2021 6:28:19 PM   
Platoonist

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alcibiades73

So do you have U boats moving around in large groups? I am afraid to do that in case they get jumped by a huge fleet.

No, I usually spread them far and wide. One in the South Atlantic, maybe one in the Indian Ocean, one moving in and out of the Caribbean when the US enters the war. I often keep one in the Mozambique Channel between Madagascar and Africa to try and pick off any troops Mr. Churchill is sending around Africa to Egypt.

What works for me is to have them chew on a convoy lane for a turn and them disappear for two or three turns into a more desolate part of the ocean while shifting positions and then return to chewing some other length of the same convoy lane. We want to keep the enemy guessing by not staying in the same area for too long. The Allies can't be everywhere so hiding out in the wider reaches of the ocean usually works. Try to keep the Allies playing whack-a-mole and trying to guess where you will pop up next. “He who defends everywhere, defends nowhere.” – Sun Tzu

That base in the Canary Islands that Franco gives you comes in handy too. Just be careful to scout it out first.

(in reply to Alcibiades73)
Post #: 32
RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and q... - 5/17/2021 2:17:23 AM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platoonist

No, I usually spread them far and wide. One in the South Atlantic, maybe one in the Indian Ocean, one moving in and out of the Caribbean when the US enters the war. I often keep one in the Mozambique Channel between Madagascar and Africa to try and pick off any troops Mr. Churchill is sending around Africa to Egypt.

What works for me is to have them chew on a convoy lane for a turn and them disappear for two or three turns into a more desolate part of the ocean while shifting positions and then return to chewing some other length of the same convoy lane. We want to keep the enemy guessing by not staying in the same area for too long. The Allies can't be everywhere so hiding out in the wider reaches of the ocean usually works. Try to keep the Allies playing whack-a-mole and trying to guess where you will pop up next. “He who defends everywhere, defends nowhere.” – Sun Tzu

That base in the Canary Islands that Franco gives you comes in handy too. Just be careful to scout it out first.

Thanks for the extensive directions. I will try to do the same, too, then - as well as try to get a maritime bomber on Norway.

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 33
RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and q... - 5/17/2021 1:55:01 PM   
Hubert Cater

quote:

Addendum on the Barbarossa slog: I just checked the editor, and USSR gets 52 additinal free units during Barbarossa, if AI is playing them. No wonder it seems like a zombie fight.

Good grief, do not buff USSR further for the single player experience sake...

I posted something similar just recently in the Steam forums in that this is not necessarily the case.

Most of the UNIT events are on an as needed basis and are scripted to only appear if required as determined by the current game situation.

All this means is that not all listed events will necessarily fire and only under the right conditions to maximize optimal game play.

For example, if the Axis player is very good and drives deep into the USSR early, the USSR may get some help to slow down the advance. If the Axis player is not driving that deep, some of that help may not execute.

The bonus units can also be disabled at any time via OPTIONS->ADVANCED->SCRIPTS and then turning off any of the objectionable UNIT events.

Another way to achieve this, e.g. in order to provide the absolute minimum number of units the AI will receive for free is by selecting the GREEN difficulty mode and then resetting the MPP bonus back to zero.

Post #: 34
RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and q... - 5/17/2021 2:04:17 PM   
Hubert Cater

quote:

ORIGINAL: Torplexed
I've noticed the AI in this game and its sisters seems fond of making a lot of attacks at less than optimal odds when it might have been better if it just stood passively on the defensive and conserved its strength. This has the effect of leaving weakened units here and there stuck out on the front line which you can punish further or maybe destroy in your turn.

Unfortunately this is actually purposeful. Generally the AI knows a good attack from a bad attack, but early on there was quite a lot of criticisms directed at it from early reviews that the AI was behaving poorly.

For example, when invading France one of the best things the French AI could do in order to slow down the Axis AI advance was to simply sit tight along defensive positions and force the Axis player to slog through with attacks.

The reaction was that the AI was "doing nothing", because it was not attacking back, and was then a poor AI. So now the AI attacks every once in a while to get the feeling that it is doing something, but not all attacks will necessarily be good ones.

It's a difficult piece of perception to get just right as early on when you first play the game, if the AI understands that the best play is to simply defend, the AI comes across as poor because it is not doing much other than appearing to be just 'sitting there'.

But later on, after a few games, the realization that the better move is to indeed not always attack becomes more apparent, but then the AI looks poor because it is making bad attacks.

Maybe in the future there will be a way for us to model early AI versus later AI once a player has played through X number of games so it will look like the AI is learning on the same curve as a human player.

(in reply to Torplexed)
Post #: 35
RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and q... - 5/17/2021 3:36:15 PM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hubert Cater

Most of the UNIT events are on an as needed basis and are scripted to only appear if required as determined by the current game situation.

All this means is that not all listed events will necessarily fire and only under the right conditions to maximize optimal game play....

The bonus units can also be disabled at any time via OPTIONS->ADVANCED->SCRIPTS and then turning off any of the objectionable UNIT events.

Thanks for the clarification. It makes me even more inclined to get rid of the free AI units though, since it punishes you to play well. I guess for now I am going to compromise by just clicking off only the free AI that you get at Intermediate or above difficulty.

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 36
RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and q... - 5/17/2021 4:34:44 PM   
wobbleguts

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: wobbleguts

Why? You can always conquer Vichy later if you want to.

LOL, I did not consider this at all. Is there a negative to doing this?

Not for me. I took Algiers and the French went all snooty and said they didn't like me any more. To teach them a lesson I took Vichy as well. Only needed a few units to do it and I now have german towels on every deck-chair.

quote:

Italy WAS weak. Weak economically/militarily/culturally for war. A British officer was asked to report the number of Italians who surrendered after an early battle. He said 'We have about 5 acres of officers and 200 acres of other ranks'. I think the game has got Italian strength about right.

I am aware, and I've acknowledged this fact multiple times. But sometimes historical accuracy must be balanced with game-play balance, and I feel Italy's current state is not good for the game. But I understand also that I am a newbie, and that I may feel differently later.

Italy is a lost cause, both historically and game wise. However, I think a good what-if game would be if Italy didn't join the war in 1940 and built up more forces/tech and hit the Brits later. Maybe they could have stirred things up?

quote:

I agree. Diplomacy is very hazy. I have used it to keep the USA out of the war while playing as axis powers and it gained me some time. But why on earth would you be spending diplomacy points on Turkey and Spain if you are playing as Japan?.

Oops. I posted too quickly. I meant I did that as Germany, but I had no idea where to invest as Japan. Can you recommend where I'd invest for both countries? I opened a separate thread on this topic, by the way; so you can answer there instead, if you'd like.

I don't use diplomacy much. As the axis I try to keep the USA and Russia out of the war for as long as possible.

quote:

Submarines are sneaky. They attack and go underwater. I think the game has got their defense values roughly right. Upgrade your ships to destroy them. IMO, Maritime bombers on the other hand are way to powerful. Have you tried them?

Again, I am trying to balance historical accuracy and game-play balance here regarding submarine strength.

As for maritime bombers, I have only tried them against land targets.

Submarines could have defeated Britain, but the plucky brits developed technology that would eventually destroy them. You have to develop that tech and upgrade your ships to see results.

Maritime bombers are so powerful in this game that you can destroy an enemy fleet with just a few units. Build/position and hope the weather is good!

Post #: 37
RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and q... - 5/17/2021 7:25:49 PM   
Hubert Cater

quote:

Thanks for the clarification. It makes me even more inclined to get rid of the free AI units though, since it punishes you to play well.

I can certainly see why you might feel that way, but it really is to help slow down the snowballing effect where things can quickly go downhill once the tide begins to turn.

Some players find it just right, some too much, some not enough.

It is a tricky thing to get just right for all players and all playing styles which is why we make the options available for everyone to fine tune as they prefer from the defaults.

Post #: 38
RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and q... - 5/17/2021 9:34:30 PM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

I took Algiers and the French went all snooty and said they didn't like me any more. To teach them a lesson I took Vichy as well. Only needed a few units to do it and I now have german towels on every deck-chair.

I will probably attack Vichy later then. Those 60 or so MPPs are very appetizing. I am not sure what's the best time frame though.

quote:

Italy is a lost cause, both historically and game wise. However, I think a good what-if game would be if Italy didn't join the war in 1940 and built up more forces/tech and hit the Brits later. Maybe they could have stirred things up?

Italy was overall a mess militarily, but they did have some respectable military assets. In particular, their navy was quite large, and it was not all quantity either. Above all, they had decent, modern fast battleships in the Littorio class ships, and a few other high tier surface combat ships as well. It did have a fatal weakness in lacking aircraft carriers, and I am not sure this could have been remedied in just a year or so.

quote:

Submarines could have defeated Britain, but the plucky brits developed technology that would eventually destroy them. You have to develop that tech and upgrade your ships to see results.

Ah, anti-submarine technology is another technology I neglected. But with such limited funds as Axis, it's hard to research everything.

quote:

Maritime bombers are so powerful in this game that you can destroy an enemy fleet with just a few units.

Glad to know that; and I think that's fair, because I feel carriers are disproportionately strong in this game - relative to both other surface combat ships and land-born air combatants - at least due to the way some nations (e.g. USA and Japan) can amass them. But good to know that there is some non-naval counter to this issue.

< Message edited by Alcibiades73 -- 5/17/2021 9:35:41 PM >

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 39
RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and q... - 5/17/2021 9:38:32 PM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

I can certainly see why you might feel that way, but it really is to help slow down the snowballing effect where things can quickly go downhill once the tide begins to turn.

It is a tricky thing to get just right for all players and all playing styles which is why we make the options available for everyone to fine tune as they prefer from the defaults.

As a new player, it was mighty discouraging to kill 10 or more units for several turns in a row and find that the Red Army has gotten yet larger every turn! I felt this was too much, at least at the Intermediate difficulty. It felt like I am playing an RPG, not a historical strategy game. But I do appreciate both that 1) AI obviously does need some "cheats" against the human player; and that 2) balancing the AI is a very difficult endeavor.

I guess I will try it one more go without changing any scripts. Perhaps I might do better this time, since I know the game a wee bit better.

< Message edited by Alcibiades73 -- 5/17/2021 9:39:35 PM >

Post #: 40
RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and q... - 5/17/2021 11:29:35 PM   
Shellshock

quote:

As a new player, it was mighty discouraging to kill 10 or more units for several turns in a row and find that the Red Army has gotten yet larger every turn!

That sounds a lot like my experience as the German when playing War in the East for the first time. No matter how many brilliant encirclements I conducted, there was always another wall of Russians beyond to blow through. The sheer staggering size of the Red Army always gets me.

Post #: 41
RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and q... - 5/17/2021 11:31:14 PM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shellshock

That sounds a lot like my experience as the German when playing War in the East for the first time. No matter how many brilliant encirclements I conducted, there was always another wall of Russians beyond to blow through. The sheer staggering size of the Red Army always gets me.

Is it better the second time around - or are you still "shellshock[ed]" from all those Katyushas flying by you? ;)

< Message edited by Alcibiades73 -- 5/17/2021 11:32:46 PM >

(in reply to Shellshock)
Post #: 42
RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and q... - 5/17/2021 11:43:07 PM   
Shellshock

quote:

Is it better the second time around - or are you still "shellshock[ed]" from all those Katyushas flying by you? ;)

I'm going to wait until there are a few more patches.

I should revive my old shellshock avatar.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 43
RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and q... - 5/18/2021 12:26:15 AM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shellshock

I'm going to wait until there are a few more patches.

I should revive my old shellshock avatar.

ROFL!

(in reply to Shellshock)
Post #: 44
RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and q... - 5/18/2021 1:52:58 AM   
Hubert Cater

quote:

As a new player, it was mighty discouraging to kill 10 or more units for several turns in a row and find that the Red Army has gotten yet larger every turn! I felt this was too much, at least at the Intermediate difficulty. It felt like I am playing an RPG, not a historical strategy game. But I do appreciate both that 1) AI obviously does need some "cheats" against the human player; and that 2) balancing the AI is a very difficult endeavor.

I guess I will try it one more go without changing any scripts. Perhaps I might do better this time, since I know the game a wee bit better.

Fair enough, yet at the same time it is hard to say just how much of this was bonus units afforded to the AI or other in game factors

For example, the USSR will by default, AI bonus units or not, potentially have a lot of units coming your way. Lend-Lease, ramping up of the industry in the Urals, Industrial Modifier level, Production Technology level, as well as often the ability to rebuild units at 60% of their original cost if they were destroyed in good supply are all factors.

If you still have an original save from your first game you can actually check to see just how many bonus unit events provided to the AI had actually fired, and how many are still on the list relative to when you first start the game. Note the bonus units for the AI are labelled as such, within the last few pages of UNIT events, and not the expected in game unit events that will occur for any game, e.g. AI or multiplayer.

As mentioned the idea really is to smooth out the game so that it doesn't potentially collapse too quickly (at least for the USSR AI bonuses) and there really shouldn't be a wall of units coming your way via the AI bonus scripts. It should be very piecemeal over time and very specific to certain locations and often none at all in those areas if you haven't even advanced far enough.

The other option is to try a game with all the AI USSR bonus scripts disabled just to see what sort of difference you'll experience.

But even this is a bit tricky to know just how much the AI bonus scripts come into play or not, as you have also mentioned that each game will likely be better as you learn the game, learn from mistakes and fine tune your strategies.

Post #: 45
RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and q... - 5/18/2021 11:08:08 AM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

If you still have an original save from your first game you can actually check to see just how many bonus unit events provided to the AI had actually fired, and how many are still on the list relative to when you first start the game. Note the bonus units for the AI are labelled as such, within the last few pages of UNIT events, and not the expected in game unit events that will occur for any game, e.g. AI or multiplayer.

I no longer have those saves, as I started a new game last night. But for future purposes, how do I check exactly? Do you mean through the pop-up before I load a game - that is, "options" to "advanced" to "scripts" to "unit"? If yes, then what is the indicator that a free unit event did activate? I guess it becomes no longer white and the "x" is gone?

Post #: 46
RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and q... - 5/18/2021 11:18:35 AM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

IMO, Maritime bombers on the other hand are way to powerful. Have you tried them?

I still haven't tried, but I have checked their stats now relative to other bomber types. And the stats do not seem to stand out. Do you mean they are too powerful for their price?

< Message edited by Alcibiades73 -- 5/18/2021 11:19:11 AM >

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 47
RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and q... - 5/18/2021 1:28:47 PM   
DrZom

quote:

quote:

Thanks for the clarification. It makes me even more inclined to get rid of the free AI units though, since it punishes you to play well.

You have just described why I have never finished a Total War campaign... and I have been playing TW games since the first Shogun was released.

Post #: 48
RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and q... - 5/18/2021 1:31:44 PM   
Hubert Cater

quote:

I no longer have those saves, as I started a new game last night. But for future purposes, how do I check exactly? Do you mean through the pop-up before I load a game - that is, "options" to "advanced" to "scripts" to "unit"? If yes, then what is the indicator that a free unit event did activate? I guess it becomes no longer white and the "x" is gone?

The way it works is if you take a look at the OPTIONS->ADVANCED->SCRIPTS and then UNIT event list, near the last few pages you'll see all the listed events that are labelled as ALLIED AI events.

If let's say you are playing at the Intermediate level, then if you were to count out how many there are listed for the USSR that are not labelled at VETERAN or EXPERT, and then check that list again over time as you play you'll see the applicably listed events will get shorter over time, as once they fire, they are removed from the list.

It will be a good way to see when you are facing down a number of Soviet units, just how many are from the events or not.

The alternative as I had previously mentioned would be to simply start a game at the Green level as that automatically prevents any of the Novice or higher events from firing and just the minimal Green ones will fire which are mostly a few scattered garrision type deployments.

Or you can disable all the Intermediate and Novice Allied AI USSR unit events in your current game as the other way to achieve the same thing if you really wanted to get a feel for the game without any additional USSR AI bonus units.

Post #: 49
RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and q... - 5/18/2021 1:54:44 PM   
wobbleguts

quote:

Italy was overall a mess militarily, but they did have some respectable military assets. In particular, their navy was quite large, and it was not all quantity either. Above all, they had decent, modern fast battleships in the Littorio class ships, and a few other high tier surface combat ships as well. It did have a fatal weakness in lacking aircraft carriers, and I am not sure this could have been remedied in just a year or so.

I was thinking more about the land war in Africa. If Italy had more and better equipped units, could they have repelled the British? Probably not, but I would like to play a what-if game when Italy didn't declare war in 1940.

quote:

Ah, anti-submarine technology is another technology I neglected. But with such limited funds as Axis, it's hard to research everything.

Playing as Axis, better to research advanced subs then anti-sub tech IMO.

quote:

Maritime bombers are so powerful in this game that you can destroy an enemy fleet with just a few units.

Glad to know that; and I think that's fair, because I feel carriers are disproportionately strong in this game - relative to both other surface combat ships and land-born air combatants - at least due to the way some nations (e.g. USA and Japan) can amass them. But good to know that there is some non-naval counter to this issue.

Not really. I think maritime bombers are basically a game cheat. If the weather is good and you have upgraded them a bit, no enemy naval units stand a chance. A legal cheat I use all the time because it works. 3 Maritime bombers will clear the North Sea of the British Navy and you chase the rest down with your surface fleet.

Post #: 50
RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and q... - 5/18/2021 3:26:03 PM   
Illiniwek80

quote:

3 Maritime bombers will clear the North Sea

While you're at it, build 20 paratroops and take Britain!

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 51
RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and q... - 5/18/2021 3:32:35 PM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

The way it works is if you take a look at the OPTIONS->ADVANCED->SCRIPTS and then UNIT event list, near the last few pages you'll see all the listed events that are labelled as ALLIED AI events.

If let's say you are playing at the Intermediate level, then if you were to count out how many there are listed for the USSR that are not labelled at VETERAN or EXPERT, and then check that list again over time as you play you'll see the applicably listed events will get shorter over time, as once they fire, they are removed from the list.

It will be a good way to see when you are facing down a number of Soviet units, just how many are from the events or not.

The alternative as I had previously mentioned would be to simply start a game at the Green level as that automatically prevents any of the Novice or higher events from firing and just the minimal Green ones will fire which are mostly a few scattered garrision type deployments.

Or you can disable all the Intermediate and Novice Allied AI USSR unit events in your current game as the other way to achieve the same thing if you really wanted to get a feel for the game without any additional USSR AI bonus units.

Clear now - thanks! I will see what happens once I get to Barbarossa. I've learned something in the meantime and perform better!

Post #: 52
RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and q... - 5/18/2021 3:35:50 PM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

I was thinking more about the land war in Africa. If Italy had more and better equipped units, could they have repelled the British? Probably not, but I would like to play a what-if game when Italy didn't declare war in 1940.

Yeah, the Italian army was a basket case. The Germans ought to have given them more help in terms of training and material (at least in terms of licensing).

quote:

Not really. I think maritime bombers are basically a game cheat. If the weather is good and you have upgraded them a bit, no enemy naval units stand a chance. A legal cheat I use all the time because it works. 3 Maritime bombers will clear the North Sea of the British Navy and you chase the rest down with your surface fleet.

I guess I will have to see. I don't have naval targets for a while as Japan; and I don't believe Germany starts out with one. So it will be a while.

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 53
RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and q... - 5/19/2021 2:28:33 PM   
wobbleguts

quote:

quote:

Yeah, the Italian army was a basket case. The Germans ought to have given them more help in terms of training and material (at least in terms of licensing).

Playing as Germany, in my last game (and this one) I left the Italians to stew in their own juice. I kept the Africa Corp in Europe ready for the war in Russia and didn't intervene in Africa until I conquered the Balkans/Greece etc. Then I attacked Malta with bombers, landed a SF unit, landed a few SF and armored units in Egypt and cleared the Brits out of N Africa. Italy re-occupied their territories and everyone is happy. But what would have happened if Italy didn't declare war in 1940? Not sure.

quote:

I guess I will have to see. I don't have naval targets for a while as Japan; and I don't believe Germany starts out with one. So it will be a while.

I would suggest (again) playing as a single power. IMO, playing as the Axis or Allies collectively is unrealistic. Anyways, as Japan, you don't need MB's until you are at war with the USA and CW. As Germany, IMO you need them ASAP to hit the Royal Navy.

Post #: 54
RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and q... - 5/19/2021 5:57:02 PM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

Playing as Germany, in my last game (and this one) I left the Italians to stew in their own juice. I kept the Africa Corp in Europe ready for the war in Russia and didn't intervene in Africa until I conquered the Balkans/Greece etc. Then I attacked Malta with bombers, landed a SF unit, landed a few SF and armored units in Egypt and cleared the Brits out of N Africa. Italy re-occupied their territories and everyone is happy.

I am not sure I can wait that long, because Italy would be evicted from North Africa by then; and it is even harder to conquer North Africa if you have no beachhead. Or did you hit the Balkans so quickly that UK had not pushed into Tobruk and beyond when you conquered Malta and pushed into Egypt?

quote:

I would suggest (again) playing as a single power. IMO, playing as the Axis or Allies collectively is unrealistic. Anyways, as Japan, you don't need MB's until you are at war with the USA and CW. As Germany, IMO you need them ASAP to hit the Royal Navy.

And again, I am reluctant. If I struggle to beat the Allies playing all the Axis powers, I am not sure how I can win just playing either Germany or Japan with no coordination.

On Maritime Bombers: Germany can only recruit one, I think. So I am not sure how it is going to be pivotal in taking out the Royal Navy :(

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 55
RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and q... - 5/20/2021 2:06:06 PM   
wobbleguts

quote:

On Maritime Bombers: Germany can only recruit one, I think. So I am not sure how it is going to be pivotal in taking out the Royal Navy :(

Oops. My bad. I forgot that I edited the game so build limits were increased for all major powers. That way I was able to build 3 MB's and base them in Denmark/Belgium. They destroyed anything that came too close.

Post #: 56
RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and q... - 5/20/2021 3:12:33 PM   
Illiniwek80

quote:

I forgot that I edited the game so build limits were increased for all major powers.

Why didn't you just use soft build limits?

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 57
RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and q... - 5/20/2021 5:20:30 PM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

quote:

Oops. My bad. I forgot that I edited the game so build limits were increased for all major powers. That way I was able to build 3 MB's and base them in Denmark/Belgium. They destroyed anything that came too close.

Ah, I am contemplating increase the limit from 1 to 2, but I am afraid increasing it to 3 would have too much impact balance-wise. I am very cautious and incremental when I mod stuff.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Illiniwek80

I can't speak for him, but for myself I've stayed away from soft build limits, because it seems too abusable. More pertinent, I've read some people say that AI doesn't know how to properly take advantage of it.

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 58
RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and q... - 5/21/2021 11:47:55 AM   
wobbleguts

quote:

ORIGINAL: Illiniwek80

quote:

I forgot that I edited the game so build limits were increased for all major powers.

I did, but edited the games build limits as well in case I wanted to play without soft builds in the future. I've heard the AI doesn't handle soft build well so I changed the build limit for all major powers to make a more satisfying game for me if I choose to play it again without soft builds. Probably should have explained it better.

(in reply to Illiniwek80)
Post #: 59
RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and q... - 5/21/2021 11:52:35 AM   
Illiniwek80

quote:

I did, but edited the games build limits as well in case I wanted to play without soft builds in the future. I've heard the AI doesn't handle soft build well so I changed the build limit for all major powers to make a more satisfying game for me if I choose to play it again without soft builds. Probably should have explained it better.

That's ok; thanks! I asked because there's always something I don't know. This has given me inspiration to build a German military consisting exclusively of dozens of paratroops and see what havoc I can wreak.

< Message edited by Illiniwek80 -- 5/21/2021 11:53:55 AM >

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> RE: A newbie Axis playthrough: Summary, comments, and questions Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI