Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

First Impressions after my first AAR, Air Raid, has ended.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Warplan Pacific >> First Impressions after my first AAR, Air Raid, has ended. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
First Impressions after my first AAR, Air Raid, has ended. - 5/13/2021 5:19:40 PM   
incbob

I am a huge Pacific Theatre fan. I have read just about every book on it, and many that few have heard of. (Look up Sydney Pash’s The Currents of War. Great book!!)
I have played WiTP:AE. In fact, I started with WiTP long before Gary Grisby got involved with Matrix Games.
I did not Beta Test Warplan Pacific (WPP). I have no relation to Alvaro or Matrix Games.
I played WarPlan, now WPE, when it first came out.
I am a casual Grognard.

Okay. I might be a fanboy. You have your warning. I probably want this game to succeed as much as Matrix games and Alvaro. Why? Because I finally have a WWII Pacific Theatre game I can play on the computer.

WPP is very much a 1.00 game. It is brand new. It doesn’t have any, or at least any I have seen, game killing bugs, but still needs polish. It needs balancing and the rework that comes when players first get into a game and start breaking it. It needs to be played. Remember also that this is a ONE man studio. This is a game that would take large companies a while to get right.

Most games just cannot get the Pacific Theatre right. They are either simplistic and abstract everything, like Axis and Allies (good game though, lots of fun), or they are like the Strategic Command series from Matrix Games. Good game, but they end up treating naval combat like land combat with water. This does not work and why I do not care for either their WWI game or the Pacifiic/Global game.

Before WPP if I wanted a good Pacific Theatre game, I had to play a board game or War in the Pacific (WiTP). WiTP is a monster game. 1 day equals 1 day, 1 gun equals 1 gun. It is almost as if the creators did not abstract anything. Great game, but honestly not for me. As someone said on the forums, people play it for years just to get a couple of Carrier versus Carrier encounters. If you don’t mind a single campaign game lasting 6 months to multiple years, if you don’t mind complex level 10 games, then WiTP is for you.

WPP is much more like a board game. It has different rules but remind me of the old Avalon Hill Rise and Decline of the Third Reich games or maybe like the classic monster game The Pacific War: The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945. It plays very much like a board game, but on the computer, with and built in AI. WPP abstracts things that would require micromanagement, like a board game does, but leaves you free to control units, like you want to do.

WPP documentation is woeful. I am sorry, but it is true. The manual gives the bare necessities and is better now that it has been updated. It still leaves some areas and questions as to how things work. Part of this is because though it is easy to move units on the screen their interactions are complex. The game very badly needs a “Let’s Play/Tutorial.” I have never recorded or streamed gameplay, but I might try for this game, but I am still learning and have some questions myself.

Tips.
-- Understand the type of game this is. It looks simple but it is not.

-- Play the Allies first. I am starting an AAR as the Japanese and it is not how you want to start learning the game.

-- Understand that this is not a game of equally matched opponents. This is a game where one side will have dominance, then there will be a short period where they are nearly equal, then the other side will be dominant. The goal of the game is to see if you can hold off the other side while they are dominant and take more advantage of the time you are dominant.

-- As in the real life, Air Power rules.

-- Fleets and air power move further than you think.

-- Make sure you know what mode your fleet is in before you move it. Fleet mode means you can and will get into combat.

-- For production you need to think 6+ months ahead.
Post #: 1
RE: First Impressions after my first AAR, Air Raid, has... - 5/14/2021 4:00:02 AM   
nowherman

I'm right there with you regarding Pacific wargame history. I fondly remember Pacific War: The Struggle Against Japan as well as SPI's World War II: Pacific Theater of Operations. I remember rewriting some to the rules in Pacific War to make it feel more accurate and easier to play solitaire. I also tried to play Pacific War with PTO's map, which was much prettier.

WiTP:AE is big and grandiose which is great but also its biggest weakness. It's almost too much to actually play, especially from beginning to end.

As someone who started out standing around a table pushing cardboard counters on a paper map I think one of the nice things about both Warplan games is that they not only play like a board game but look like a board game. And the cat can't push all the counters off the table.

(in reply to incbob)
Post #: 2
RE: First Impressions after my first AAR, Air Raid, has... - 5/14/2021 7:14:27 PM   
Numdydar

I have some very critical issues that I see as major faults with the game. Which I have been (and will continue to be) vocal about .

Having said that, I do want the game to succeed as well. Simply because the Warplan system is our best shot are getting a decent global WWII game. And since the global game has to start in 1939, it will help address a lot of the issues this game has. Of course it would be even better if the game could start in 1936 like the Hearts of Iron series so that the war in China could be really be decently covered. But for a global WWII game, I will take what I can get lol.

(in reply to nowherman)
Post #: 3
RE: First Impressions after my first AAR, Air Raid, has... - 5/14/2021 8:11:08 PM   
stjeand

Should be able to easily mod a 1936 start...just have to figure out what is would be.

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 4
RE: First Impressions after my first AAR, Air Raid, has... - 5/15/2021 5:48:25 PM   
Nikel

quote:

ORIGINAL: incbob

WPP is much more like a board game. It has different rules but remind me of the old Avalon Hill Rise and Decline of the Third Reich games or maybe like the classic monster game The Pacific War: The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945. It plays very much like a board game, but on the computer, with and built in AI. WPP abstracts things that would require micromanagement, like a board game does, but leaves you free to control units, like you want to do.

Regarding the game you cite, Decision Games, the owner of the rights, finally allowed that vassal modules were created and made public for SPI classics. There is one, although incomplete, in vassal site.

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:War_in_the_Pacific:_The_Campaign_Against_Imperial_Japan,_1941-45

Rules, scenarios,...

https://www.spigames.net/rules_downloads.htm#W

< Message edited by Nikel -- 5/15/2021 6:05:38 PM >

(in reply to incbob)
Post #: 5
RE: First Impressions after my first AAR, Air Raid, has... - 5/17/2021 11:23:20 AM   
miljkovics

I was a devoted player of WitP (and Pacific war before that) a while a go, so I guess my perspective is heavily influenced by that experience.
Just bought WP Pacific and gave it a first try with Solomon Isl. scenario...I like how game is able to negotiate complex model of WitP and simplicity in playing, so I'll be investing some time for going into details for sure
In my first 1941 campaign I was surprised how fast I was out of oil and landing crafts so had to restart it and play less aggressive. with more careful planning

What I do miss is ability to assign/produce certain type of equipment (choosing different type of aircraft for each "category" for instance), that was one of my favorite things in WiTP - tooling my production to types I wanted. Simple "1942 type" or similar is too generic imo.
Also, would like to be able to assign naval commanders to fleets (with different stats that influence and add bonus/malus to fleet behavior), similar what is already there for army HQs.
And last, what I really liked in WitP was combat sequence, especially in carrier battles...I know that everything is predetermined by calculated odds, but I really enjoyed watching aircraft attacking carriers and hoping they score hit (or avoid it, if I was defending)...or sub having CV in it sights

I know that overall intention with this game is not to make it too complex but thought to share my feedback anyway.

(in reply to Nikel)
Post #: 6
RE: First Impressions after my first AAR, Air Raid, has... - 5/17/2021 11:20:59 PM   
ThunderLizard2

OK OP so it's worth getting or not? I get the first WarPlan and something about it never clicked for me.

(in reply to miljkovics)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Warplan Pacific >> First Impressions after my first AAR, Air Raid, has ended. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI