Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Russian Winter

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Russian Winter Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Russian Winter - 5/11/2021 11:13:04 PM   
DrZom

I have tried to answer this question on my own, but being an old fart I am tech challenged.

How does the Russian Winter work with the new update? It is not that hard to keep three German units from being within 20 hexes of Kirov when January '42 arrives as well as for several turns after. If the Winter is not triggered in '42, is it triggered in '43?
Post #: 1
RE: Russian Winter - 5/12/2021 8:46:06 AM   
BillRunacre

Yes, if you don't trigger it in the first winter of invasion (whenever that is) it will happen in the next winter that the conditions are met. So a successful invasion of the USSR cannot avoid it.

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to DrZom)
Post #: 2
RE: Russian Winter - 5/12/2021 2:48:18 PM   
DrZom

Couple more questions, if you don't mind.

How many points does each unit lose, and where on the map must these units be located to lose the points? Also within 20 hexes of Kirov?

Does the winter cause attrition each turn until spring? I think it should, since it did historically. Germany was not able to remedy its supply problem in two weeks.

Thanks for you help.

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 3
RE: Russian Winter - 5/13/2021 8:28:11 AM   
BillRunacre

Units within 25 hexes of Kirov will be affected, losing between 0 and 2 strength points each, and suffering a morale loss of between 40 and 75%.

This only happens the once. If the Axis could always be guaranteed to invade in the summer of 1941 then there would be more potential to have it reoccurring throughout the winter, but invasions can take place between the winter of 1939 and as late as the spring of 1942, which makes things like that much harder to script.

< Message edited by BillRunacre -- 5/13/2021 8:59:28 AM >

(in reply to DrZom)
Post #: 4
RE: Russian Winter - 5/14/2021 1:21:01 PM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

ORIGINAL: BillRunacre

Units within 25 hexes of Kirov will be affected, losing between 0 and 2 strength points each, and suffering a morale loss of between 40 and 75%.

This only happens the once. If the Axis could always be guaranteed to invade in the summer of 1941 then there would be more potential to have it reoccurring throughout the winter, but invasions can take place between the winter of 1939 and as late as the spring of 1942, which makes things like that much harder to script.

So the Russian Winter happens for only one turn throughout the entire game?! I was under the impression that it is happening throughout the winter. All do you mean it happens only one winter season?

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 5
RE: Russian Winter - 5/14/2021 1:32:37 PM   
Epekepe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alcibiades73

quote:

So the Russian Winter happens for only one turn throughout the entire game?! I was under the impression that it is happening throughout the winter. All do you mean it happens only one winter season?

(in reply to Alcibiades73)
Post #: 6
RE: Russian Winter - 5/14/2021 1:36:03 PM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

ORIGINAL: Epekepe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alcibiades73

quote:

I know what he said. But I am wondering whether he meant "one turn" or "one season."

(in reply to Epekepe)
Post #: 7
RE: Russian Winter - 5/14/2021 1:47:00 PM   
Epekepe

Ok. It's just one turn.

(in reply to Alcibiades73)
Post #: 8
RE: Russian Winter - 5/14/2021 1:48:51 PM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

ORIGINAL: Epekepe

Ok. It's just one turn.

Awesome - thanks!

(in reply to Epekepe)
Post #: 9
RE: Russian Winter - 5/14/2021 5:47:13 PM   
Treefrog

Where in the patch notes or rules can I find this to read:

"Units within 25 hexes of Kirov will be affected, losing between 0 and 2 strength points each, and suffering a morale loss of between 40 and 75%."

"L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace."

(in reply to DrZom)
Post #: 10
RE: Russian Winter - 5/16/2021 1:19:07 PM   
BillRunacre

It's mentioned in the Strategy Guide but not so specifically, partly because details change but also because I try to avoid spelling out what triggers all the events to ideally reduce the ability of people to be able to game the situation (though admittedly some will just check the scripts).

(in reply to Treefrog)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Russian Winter Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI