Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

house rules you prefer and why

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> house rules you prefer and why Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
house rules you prefer and why - 5/8/2021 3:27:26 PM   
Treefrog

What house rules do you prefer and what evil are they designed to forestall?

"L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace."
Post #: 1
RE: house rules you prefer and why - 5/8/2021 5:13:32 PM   
Platoonist

I'd be in favor of a rule restricting the Japanese navy from scouting the Indian Ocean prior to war with the Western Allies. It does seem a bit gamey for the IJN to be shadowing Allied ships for their future Axis friends.

(in reply to Treefrog)
Post #: 2
RE: house rules you prefer and why - 5/8/2021 6:12:37 PM   
OldCrowBalthazor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platoonist

I'd be in favor of a rule restricting the Japanese navy from scouting the Indian Ocean prior to war with the Western Allies. It does seem a bit gamey for the IJN to be shadowing Allied ships for their future Axis friends.

I've been doing that in an MP match with the Japanese, whom I'm playing of course, but mainly restricted it to the eastern coast of India and Ceylon. It is more of a tactic to try to deter my opponent from sending Indian troops to Egypt or East Africa.

The thing is, the Japanese do have strategic interests there, it is international waters, and its quite obvious of what Japans future intentions are with east and south Asia.

What I didn't do (on purpose) was send Japanese ships into the Red Sea or the African Littoral, because that is far from beyond mid-term objectives.

Gamey? possibly..but I have a rational for the above naval movements.

There were other house rules I imposed on myself with this match, like not allowing Bulgarian units into the Soviet Union unless Moscow fell, No Rumanian units in Hungary and no Hungarian units into Romania, among other things.

One personal house rule I kept for myself, (but didn't tell my opponent), was that I restrained myself from doing a 1939 invasion of the Low Countries after a one turn take down of Poland. The reason that felt gamey and I didn't do it was because the truncated scale of Europe in WaW makes that gambit way too easy.

cheers

< Message edited by OldCrowBalthazor -- 5/8/2021 6:13:39 PM >

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 3
RE: house rules you prefer and why - 5/9/2021 2:31:19 AM   
smckechnie

Treefrog,

Depending on who you are playing or what tournament you are playing, people will set out some house rules to make the game not as gamey, or to stop the game from becoming a route.

Here are some of the example rules played with the ELO tournament:

1. No invading Russia in 1940. If France falls early, March, April, or even May. It is almost impossible for an allied player to win if the axis attack Russia in 1940. Hence, house rules for no invasion of Russia in 1940.
2. No Diplomacy toward major powers. The reason for this is simple. If the Axis put diplomacy towards the US, the US can be kept out the war into 1942 and with low mobilization, the axis win before the US even gets in the war. The axis put lots of diplomacy towards Russia and it destroys their mobilization value before Barbarossa.

Other example rules to stop Gamey stuff.

1. No alllied invasion of France at the end of 1941. 3 allied units if France at the end of 1941, with them there in beginning of 1942 will stop the Germans from building the Atlantic wall. Go figure on why on this, but it is in the game.
2. No sending the Italian fleet into the Atlantic early in the war. This is totally gamey, but done all the time. There is no way in hell the Italians could have supplied a fleet in the Atlantic, they had a hard enough time in the med.
3. No invasion of Norway by the allies after the German event to take Norway. Another totally gamey move, the allies know that the invasion of Norway will happen in April 1940 and that the German garrison and corps units are all weak except for that stupid Narvik one. Allied player takes French and British Corps, with 3 carriers and most of the French and British fleet. Attacks right after Norway event, takes Oslo or Kristianland? Axis have little to no ability to stop this. So you make it a house rule to eliminate some of the gamey part of the game.
4. You mentioned IJN shadowing allied fleets before they join the war. This is gamey, but this happens right now every day with the US Navy tracking where all the Chinese fleet is, sending subs to trail them, etc. So this one is actually not so gamey except for the supply situation. People seem to forget that Japan attacked Pearl Harbor partly out of the fact that we cut off their oil supplies. Kinda of hard to trail allied fleets without any oil.

Any way,

There are other house rules that people will ask for.

Scott

(in reply to OldCrowBalthazor)
Post #: 4
RE: house rules you prefer and why - 5/9/2021 10:09:59 AM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

ORIGINAL: OldCrowBalthazor

One personal house rule I kept for myself, (but didn't tell my opponent), was that I restrained myself from doing a 1939 invasion of the Low Countries after a one turn take down of Poland. The reason that felt gamey and I didn't do it was because the truncated scale of Europe in WaW makes that gambit way too easy.

I've never understood how people can do this safely. Isn't this a bit of a gamble - whereas you cannot possibly fail until you wait till April 1940 or so?

(in reply to OldCrowBalthazor)
Post #: 5
RE: house rules you prefer and why - 5/9/2021 10:17:01 AM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

ORIGINAL: smckechnie

No invading Russia in 1940. If France falls early, March, April, or even May. It is almost impossible for an allied player to win if the axis attack Russia in 1940. Hence, house rules for no invasion of Russia in 1940.

Is this because the Soviets are not sufficiently mobilized in 1940? Sorry if I am asking stupid questions. I am a newb, and I've yet even gotten so far in the game where I am at Barbarossa.

quote:

No Diplomacy toward major powers. The reason for this is simple. If the Axis put diplomacy towards the US, the US can be kept out the war into 1942 and with low mobilization, the axis win before the US even gets in the war. The axis put lots of diplomacy towards Russia and it destroys their mobilization value before Barbarossa.

How much do you actually have to devote to diplomacy to achieve these results? All chits for all Axis powers into either the US or Russia?

By the way, I don't find this so "gamey," because I find this actually a historically plausible scenario.

quote:

No sending the Italian fleet into the Atlantic early in the war. This is totally gamey, but done all the time. There is no way in hell the Italians could have supplied a fleet in the Atlantic, they had a hard enough time in the med.

Is sending of the Italian fleet into Atlantic done before Italy declares war or after? Elaborate the mechanics here, too, please.

(in reply to smckechnie)
Post #: 6
RE: house rules you prefer and why - 5/9/2021 12:48:18 PM   
Platoonist

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alcibiades73

Is this because the Soviets are not sufficiently mobilized in 1940? Sorry if I am asking stupid questions. I am a newb, and I've yet even gotten so far in the game where I am at Barbarossa.

In 1940 the Russians are still lagging way behind the Germans in technology in many respects. If Germany has researched Infantry Weapons 2, it's even worse although level 1 is still generally the norm. The USSR lags in leadership too, as the Russians probably still only have the mediocre general Timoshenko to face at least four German HQs.( Thank you Stain for the purges) As has been mentioned before, the Red Army in this game just doesn't seem to be as large as it was at start historically, so the Russians are usually outnumbered and have no air cover to boot.

Yes, the Soviets get quite a few free units when war in declared, but most deploy right on the border, where they get overrun on the starting line, especially the aircraft units. Unfortunately like all units on the first turn of deployment, they are at 50% morale which makes their destruction even easier.

(in reply to Alcibiades73)
Post #: 7
RE: house rules you prefer and why - 5/9/2021 1:02:21 PM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platoonist

In 1940 the Russians are still lagging way behind the Germans in technology in many respects. If Germany has researched Infantry Weapons 2, it's even worse although level 1 is still generally the norm. The USSR lags in leadership too, as the Russians probably still only have the mediocre general Timoshenko to face at least four German HQs.( Thank you Stain for the purges) As has been mentioned before, the Red Army in this game just doesn't seem to be as large as it was at start historically, so the Russians are usually outnumbered and have no air cover to boot.

Yes, the Soviets get quite a few free units when war in declared, but most deploy right on the border, where they get overrun on the starting line, especially the aircraft units. Unfortunately like all units on the first turn of deployment, they are at 50% morale which makes their destruction even easier.

Ah, got it. Is it realistic for new players to breakthrough in France so quickly (I'd have to think you need to attack France in 1939?) and then get ready to attack USSR in 1940? Also, do you skip Greece/Yugoslavia in this scenario?

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> house rules you prefer and why Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI