Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Light infantry divisions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Light infantry divisions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Light infantry divisions - 5/7/2021 3:20:03 PM   
Laits

Hi everybody.
Can someone tell me if these kind of division has an ability to fight better in mountain hexes (like mountain infantry divisions)?
Without this feature they look quite useless because of their weak TOE.

More majorum
Post #: 1
RE: Light infantry divisions - 5/7/2021 3:40:38 PM   
loki100

no, they are basically just weak normal infantry divisions

(in reply to Laits)
Post #: 2
RE: Light infantry divisions - 6/11/2021 5:08:23 PM   
HOTEC

The number of vehicles allocated to a Light Infantry or a Jager Division is higher than a Regular Infantry 1939 but lower than a Motorized Division. If the German production can catch up with the demand, those Light Infantry or Jager Divisions are ready to convert to the Motorized Divisions. From the mobility point of view, the Light Infantry or Jager Division should have 32MPs in between the 16MPs for the Regular Infantry 1939 and 50MPs for the Motorized Division in WitE2.

The Regular Infantry 1939 has 9 battalions whereas 6 battalions for the Light Infantry, Jager or Motorized Division. Indeed, the Light Infantry Division is just a weak normal infantry division. Without the difference in mobility, there should be no point for the existence of the Light Infantry Division in the game. Due to the limitation of WitE2, I have to make the Jager Division to be a motorized type instead of a infantry type that is less desirable to compensate for its weakness in strength. Perhaps, in WitE3 there is 32MPs available for use.

(in reply to Laits)
Post #: 3
RE: Light infantry divisions - 6/23/2021 8:47:33 PM   
Sauron_II

"The main purpose of the German Jäger Divisions was to fight in adverse terrain where smaller, coordinated units were more easily combat capable than the brute force offered by the standard infantry divisions. The Jäger divisions were more heavily equipped than mountain division, but not as well armed as a larger infantry division. In the early stages of the war, they were the interface divisions fighting in rough terrain and foothills as well as urban areas, between the mountains and the plains. The Jägers (meaning hunters in German) relied on a high degree of training, and slightly superior communications, as well as their considerable artillery support."

WiTE2 does not seem to model their enhanced combat ability in adverse terrain. Nor their enhanced mobility.

I do not think I would go as far as super-human 32 MPs for a leg infantry, but could see them not suffering as much of a movement penalty in adverse terrain.

One thing the game does model in regards to this unit is that the Eastern front was HUGE. That meant exerting a continuous line of ZOC or geographical control over a region not a trivial task.

One thing these unit do allow is ability to exert ZOC and control over a larger area than would have been afforded using the larger TOE sized standard infantry divisions. Basically get more divisions (although a bit weaker) than you would have had otherwise.

Sometimes you do not necessarily care about full combat strength and are just rushing across the landscape trying to convert as many hexes as possible.

< Message edited by Sauron_II -- 6/23/2021 8:48:23 PM >

(in reply to HOTEC)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Light infantry divisions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI