Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

C WARFARE

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Warplan Pacific >> C WARFARE Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
C WARFARE - 5/6/2021 1:55:29 AM   
MemoryLeak

Last question for tonight.

I was experimenting with my carriers and moved to the middle of Pacific and this happened. I guess I stumbled onto
the Jap CV force. It wasn't indicated on the map. But that isn't the issue.

Here is the combat log. It says my CV's belonged to the Japs and attacked the Japs. Weird . Is this a bug or twisted logic of some kind? And I didn't initiate any attacks. They just happened.

Attachment (1)

If you want to make GOD laugh, tell him your future plans

USS Long Beach CGN-9
RM2 1969-1973
Post #: 1
RE: C WARFARE - 5/6/2021 2:03:10 AM   
stjeand

No it has to do with the way it is displayed is all.
You moved therefor you are considered the attacker, even though you were attacked.

I know Al said there was a reason why but I don't remember it.

(in reply to MemoryLeak)
Post #: 2
RE: C WARFARE - 5/6/2021 3:04:16 AM   
AlvaroSousa

I think I am going to replace the text with Friend and Enemy instead of Attacker and Defender

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to stjeand)
Post #: 3
RE: C WARFARE - 5/6/2021 11:12:18 AM   
Peek101

Looking at the evidence I think this is what happened - because this is in the 'last' tab of the combat log it shows it was something that happened during the previous Japanese turn. If it was a battle that had happened during your current turn it would be in the 'current' tab. As the battle is labelled 'carrier interdiction' it means the Japanese force moved into range of your carriers and they made an interdiction or reaction attack against it. That's why your force is down as the attackers. Because the Japanese force includes carriers they got to make a counter-strike, that's why some of your ships got sunk.

(in reply to AlvaroSousa)
Post #: 4
RE: C WARFARE - 5/6/2021 12:27:47 PM   
Friedrich3

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peek101

Looking at the evidence I think this is what happened - because this is in the 'last' tab of the combat log it shows it was something that happened during the previous Japanese turn. If it was a battle that had happened during your current turn it would be in the 'current' tab. As the battle is labelled 'carrier interdiction' it means the Japanese force moved into range of your carriers and they made an interdiction or reaction attack against it. That's why your force is down as the attackers. Because the Japanese force includes carriers they got to make a counter-strike, that's why some of your ships got sunk.

This is correct. It happened during the Japanese turn. They moved in an area containing your units. So the Japanese are the attackers in this situation. But in the battle itself your units reacted. So they are the attackers during the actual battle.

(in reply to Peek101)
Post #: 5
RE: C WARFARE - 5/6/2021 1:49:40 PM   
stjeand

AH yes...my mistake, I did not even read it was last turn.

(in reply to Friedrich3)
Post #: 6
RE: C WARFARE - 5/6/2021 5:15:43 PM   
MemoryLeak

I don't know what the hell you are talking about. But I promised not to criticize the mechanics of this game ,so how do I put this... there is no other way on this earth that the information could have been presented in a more logical fashion. nope, no way.

And another question on this topic. If I had my ships in Raider mode and teleported to that same hex, then I would have been invisible and no combat would have occurred, is this correct?

USS Long Beach CGN-9
RM2 1969-1973

(in reply to stjeand)
Post #: 7
RE: C WARFARE - 5/6/2021 5:26:47 PM   
stjeand

Even if you were in raider mode they would still attempt to find you and if they succeed they attack.

Raider mode is just you trying to stay hidden by not actively searching for the enemy.
The part that sucks is if you are in raider mode...move 1 point and spot the enemy fleet...you are not engage. You have to wait till next turn because you decided to try to not be found for the turn.

If the Japanese fleet were in Raider mode they would not have attacked you because they wanted to hide and you may not have even seen them.

Hopefully you were playing around with this in Hotseat...then you could save and keep testing the different outcomes.

(in reply to MemoryLeak)
Post #: 8
RE: C WARFARE - 5/6/2021 5:37:23 PM   
MemoryLeak

Dan, every day this gets more confusing, not less. How do I move around and "search" for enemy units? I thought that once I moved , then I moved. The End. Are you saying I could start moving one hex at a time and I might find something?

USS Long Beach CGN-9
RM2 1969-1973

(in reply to stjeand)
Post #: 9
RE: C WARFARE - 5/6/2021 5:47:52 PM   
stjeand

Sorry not what I meant...I meant one of the moment points that a naval unit has.

You have to set your fleet to Fleet Mode or Raider Mode before you move.
After you move 1 or 2 movement points in the mode you chose...

IF you find an enemy fleet that is in Fleet mode they will attempt to intercept.
IF you find an enemy fleet that is in Raider mode they will NOT intercept.

IF your fleet is in Raider Mode and you still have a movement point, you will not be able to attempt to attack the fleet you have found since you are trying to stay hidden. They may or may not have seen you.
IF your fleet is in Fleet Mode and you still have a movement point, you can attempt to engage the fleet you discovered if you are in range.

< Message edited by stjeand -- 5/6/2021 5:48:37 PM >

(in reply to MemoryLeak)
Post #: 10
RE: C WARFARE - 5/6/2021 5:51:29 PM   
stjeand

quote:

ORIGINAL: MemoryLeak

I don't know what the hell you are talking about. But I promised not to criticize the mechanics of this game ,so how do I put this... there is no other way on this earth that the information could have been presented in a more logical fashion. nope, no way.

The information was logical to me...all I care about is what ships are mine, which are the enemy's and what happened.

I could care less who is the "Attacker" or "Defender".

I honestly never even read that information.

(in reply to MemoryLeak)
Post #: 11
RE: C WARFARE - 5/6/2021 5:54:13 PM   
MemoryLeak

okay Dan, That helps. Thanks.

USS Long Beach CGN-9
RM2 1969-1973

(in reply to stjeand)
Post #: 12
RE: C WARFARE - 5/6/2021 5:58:55 PM   
MemoryLeak

A follow up question. Since I allegedly attacked the Jap fleet and got my ass handed to me. Shouldn't I know the location of that fleet? No marker to show where the battles took place. No marker to show the location of the enemy fleet. How could I have attacked without knowing where they are located?

USS Long Beach CGN-9
RM2 1969-1973

(in reply to MemoryLeak)
Post #: 13
RE: C WARFARE - 5/6/2021 6:29:52 PM   
stjeand

Someone stated dearly your fleet was in the middle of the Pacific...the Japanese moved within range and you attacked.

You knew their location...but I suspect since all the ships and people aboard that knew the location went down...they took the information with them.

I guess the question would be...would the ships have radioed HQ to ask permission to attack risking being found and counterattacked?
Hindsight is they should have since they were counter-attacked and sunk.

(in reply to MemoryLeak)
Post #: 14
RE: C WARFARE - 5/6/2021 6:47:59 PM   
MemoryLeak

ha ha, yeah the Captain with the information could have gone down with his ship, but I still have a carrier and some Miscellaneous ship still afloat in the group that participated in the attacking. So seriously, shouldn't the enemy fleet be marked on the map?

USS Long Beach CGN-9
RM2 1969-1973

(in reply to stjeand)
Post #: 15
RE: C WARFARE - 5/6/2021 6:54:19 PM   
stjeand

OH I did not notice the other ships since it did not list them...it was air attack vs air attack.

Interesting question...planes returned to find their carriers sunk...they crash land and get saved and give the information to the captain of the ship they were rescued by. I suppose that makes sense...

Then again they did not hit anything...did they find the Japanese fleet really or maybe just some destroyers...

I have to test this...I normally am watching the screen and see the attack but with the hidden ships now

(in reply to MemoryLeak)
Post #: 16
RE: C WARFARE - 5/6/2021 8:45:45 PM   
TangSooDo

"Japs" is offensive. Before you condemn me as being a politically correct dip***t, let me say that I am old enough to have served in the Marine Corps when there were still some WW2 veterans on active duty. They threw the epithet around like it was nothing, but they came from a different time and experience. A half century has passed since my service, and those WW2 vets are mostly dead. Let's move on.

(in reply to stjeand)
Post #: 17
RE: C WARFARE - 5/6/2021 11:39:20 PM   
MemoryLeak

My better judgment said to just let this pass but of course I'm not.

I also knew vets from WWII. I had three uncles who served. One flew 35 missions in B-24's out of England. I have his list of missions. He was with the 453rd Bombardment Group, 734th Squadron, Station 144 , Attleborough, England.
Another was in subs in the pacific and regrettably I no longer know the details of his service. And a third was on board two different destroyers that were sunk by the "Japs". One ship was the USS Longshaw . When I was in the navy I sent away and got a picture of his second ship for him, but I can't recall the name of it.

I don't know what knowing WWII vets that has to do with anything.

But I never did like to be the one who makes a person cry, so I will no longer use that "term."
You can sleep soundly tonight.

And for the Moderator, I am not going to respond to any more of his posts.

USS Long Beach CGN-9
RM2 1969-1973

(in reply to TangSooDo)
Post #: 18
RE: C WARFARE - 5/6/2021 11:49:01 PM   
incbob

Planes find carriers.
Planes fly back. 2-3 hours.
Planes land in water and Pilots get picked up. 2-3 hours.
Report of where enemy at reaches command +1 hour at least.

So you might now where the enemy was 5-7 hours ago. At 20knots (23MPH) means the fleet could have moved 100-150 miles. That is 2-3 hexes in any direction.

(in reply to TangSooDo)
Post #: 19
RE: C WARFARE - 5/6/2021 11:50:53 PM   
incbob

quote:

ORIGINAL: TangSooDo
"Japs" is offensive. Before you condemn me as being a politically correct dip***t, let me say that I am old enough to have served in the Marine Corps when there were still some WW2 veterans on active duty. They threw the epithet around like it was nothing, but they came from a different time and experience. A half century has passed since my service, and those WW2 vets are mostly dead. Let's move on.

I understand your offense to this term, but in WW2 it was prominently used. It wasn't just common, it was VERY common.

(in reply to TangSooDo)
Post #: 20
RE: C WARFARE - 5/7/2021 12:11:32 AM   
Peek101

Regarding not seeing the Japanese task force, as the battle was an interdiction attack by your carriers during the Japanese turn, I'm guessing they still had an op point left after the battle and simply moved on.

(in reply to incbob)
Post #: 21
RE: C WARFARE - 5/7/2021 12:40:28 AM   
MemoryLeak

Okay, I just thought that there would be an icon where the enemy fleet had attacked me from. The icons are popping up all over the Pacific for far less reasons than a major carrier battle.

I will just chalk this up in the mystery column.

Thanks for the replies.

USS Long Beach CGN-9
RM2 1969-1973

(in reply to Peek101)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Warplan Pacific >> C WARFARE Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI