Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Super-heavy units?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> RE: Super-heavy units? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Super-heavy units? - 5/10/2021 1:00:08 AM   
Mithrilotter

As for India being a major power, this was something that immediately I questioned Bill about in beta testing. As a result, India will generally have less advanced tech than the UK. If India was a UK minor, then India would have the same tech levels as the UK for free. Then India's tech would be too advanced for historical purposes. It would then warp the game balance in the Far East.

Yes, having India as a major is very odd. But I think that Bill was very clever to come up with a solution like this. Until a better solution is discovered I'm okay with it. The design isn't a real duck, but it quacks and waddles like one. So if one doesn't have a real duck, that's what counts for game purposes.

(in reply to Alcibiades73)
Post #: 31
RE: Super-heavy units? - 5/10/2021 1:03:17 AM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mithrilotter

As for India being a major power, this was something that immediately I questioned Bill about in beta testing. As a result, India will generally have less advanced tech than the UK. If India was a UK minor, then India would have the same tech levels as the UK for free. Then India's tech would be too advanced for historical purposes. It would then warp the game balance in the Far East.

Yes, having India as a major is very odd. But I think that Bill was very clever to come up with a solution like this. Until a better solution is discovered I'm okay with it. The design isn't a real duck, but it quacks and waddles like one. So if one doesn't have a real duck, that's what counts for game purposes.

Reduce India's MPP contribution and perhaps unit capacity would have been better than making them an independent major? What the devs did sound like throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

(in reply to Mithrilotter)
Post #: 32
RE: Super-heavy units? - 5/10/2021 1:27:49 AM   
Platoonist

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alcibiades73

(By the way, I don't understand why Littorio and Vittorio Veneto are not on the queue when all the other modern Axis battleships get that treatment - as well George V class battleships; Italy just seems to be screwed more in this game even than they were historically.)

The Italian BB Littorio is available for purchase, but that's a tidy sum for cash-strapped Italy. The King George V class battleships Anson and Howe are altogether missing too. Yet, for some reason the US can purchase the never built, but proposed Montana class BBs like the New Hampshire, Ohio, Louisiana and Maine. Maybe I'm being too historically literal, but it does provoke some head scratching at times as to what was put in and what was left out.

Post #: 33
RE: Super-heavy units? - 5/10/2021 1:45:22 AM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platoonist

The Italian BB Littorio is available for purchase, but that's a tidy sum for cash-strapped Italy. The King George V class battleships Anson and Howe are altogether missing too. Yet, for some reason the US can purchase the never built, but proposed Montana class BBs like the New Hampshire, Ohio, Louisiana and Maine. Maybe I'm being too historically literal, but it does provoke some head scratching at times as to what was put in and what was left out.

Yes, and I think Vittorio Veneto is also available for purchase, too? But consistency and fairness would dictate that they would be on the production queue instead. In fact - as you imply - Italy of all Axis factions need such freebies, even if Yamato and Bismarck ships were not free.

I noticed the absence of the last two KGV battleships, as well as the presence of the unbuilt Montanas - as well as the last two unbuilt Iowa ships. (I am not even going to mention the German H-class ships.) And I, too, believe historical consistency important - in so far as possible with game-play balance - and find the current historical inconsistencies puzzling.

Edit: I put both Littorio and Vittorio Veneto on the production queue, by the way! ;)

< Message edited by Alcibiades73 -- 5/10/2021 1:46:20 AM >

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 34
RE: Super-heavy units? - 5/10/2021 2:09:51 AM   
Platoonist

The Italians do get a chance at a carrier with DE 701. It's a bit of a misnomer though. The carrier Aquila was planned to be converted from a 31,000 ton ocean liner named Roma, not the Littorio-class battleship of the same name. At 25 MPPS for eight turns its payment plan is a bit long term too.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Platoonist -- 5/10/2021 2:13:32 AM >

Post #: 35
RE: Super-heavy units? - 5/10/2021 2:26:55 AM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platoonist

The Italians do get a chance at a carrier with DE 701. It's a bit of a misnomer though. The carrier Aquila was planned to be converted from a 31,000 ton ocean liner named Roma, not the Littorio-class battleship of the same name. At 25 MPPS for eight turns its payment plan is a bit long term too.

Ah, I have not gotten to that yet. (I keep re-starting, because I keep getting bogged down in China as Japan, and I can't break through anywhere - north, south, middle, nowhere.)

Perhaps I should thoroughly read the Events before modding though.

P.S. This game is sure addictive!

< Message edited by Alcibiades73 -- 5/10/2021 2:28:10 AM >

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 36
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> RE: Super-heavy units? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI