Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Super-heavy units?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Super-heavy units? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Super-heavy units? - 5/5/2021 11:36:33 PM   
Alcibiades73

Perhaps there should be an extra "super-heavy" category for certain military hardware? The two chief examples I am thinking of are the German Tiger tanks (I guess the Soviet IS classes work, too) and the Japanese Yamato class battleships (but perhaps the American Iowa classes qualify, too?). These weapon platforms were specifically designed to take on multiple opponents of the same class and thus serve to especially compensate the Axis' weakness in manpower and material and would add new and historically accurate dimension to the game.
Post #: 1
RE: Super-heavy units? - 5/6/2021 1:20:55 AM   
Platoonist

There already is a 'heavy tanks' subcategory of armor in addition to regular armor you can purchase when you reach a certain level in Advanced Tanks research. The Soviets actually start the game in 1939 with the ability to purchase heavy tanks, but it's rather expensive.

(in reply to Alcibiades73)
Post #: 2
RE: Super-heavy units? - 5/6/2021 2:13:59 AM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platoonist

There already is a 'heavy tanks' subcategory of armor in addition to regular armor you can purchase when you reach a certain level in Advanced Tanks research. The Soviets actually start the game in 1939 with the ability to purchase heavy tanks, but it's rather expensive.

Yeah, I realize that, but that category of tanks is available to most major nations, it seems - including even countries such as Japan. In contrast, I don't think anyone but the Germans and the Soviets should have access to such units, because nobody else employed them en masse.

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 3
RE: Super-heavy units? - 5/6/2021 3:13:48 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alcibiades73

Perhaps there should be an extra "super-heavy" category for certain military hardware? The two chief examples I am thinking of are the German Tiger tanks (I guess the Soviet IS classes work, too) and the Japanese Yamato class battleships (but perhaps the American Iowa classes qualify, too?). These weapon platforms were specifically designed to take on multiple opponents of the same class and thus serve to especially compensate the Axis' weakness in manpower and material and would add new and historically accurate dimension to the game.

Both of these are already in the game. The Tigers are the heavy tank graphic for the Germans and the Yamato starts out as an elite 12 strength battleship...

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 5/6/2021 3:20:37 AM >

Post #: 4
RE: Super-heavy units? - 5/6/2021 3:24:38 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

quote:

Yeah, I realize that, but that category of tanks is available to most major nations, it seems - including even countries such as Japan. In contrast, I don't think anyone but the Germans and the Soviets should have access to such units, because nobody else employed them en masse.

Well I think the Germans and Soviets have the easiest route to them. If you are spending to get heavy tanks as Japan you will pay for it big time haha...

Post #: 5
RE: Super-heavy units? - 5/6/2021 8:27:53 AM   
The Land

quote:

Yes, but what would have stopped the USA or GB fielding them if they had wanted to? If the war had continued into 1946 for some reason then you'd have ended up with battalions of M26 Pershings.

Post #: 6
RE: Super-heavy units? - 5/6/2021 9:49:43 AM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tanaka

quote:

Both of these are already in the game. The Tigers are the heavy tank graphic for the Germans and the Yamato starts out as an elite 12 strength battleship...

As for Tiger, I want more than a graphic though. On Yamato, I did not realize it starts at strength 12. That is welcome news indeed - albeit it would still max at the same strength as other battleships, and that is not fully representative of its power.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 7
RE: Super-heavy units? - 5/6/2021 10:01:09 AM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Land

Yes, but what would have stopped the USA or GB fielding them if they had wanted to? If the war had continued into 1946 for some reason then you'd have ended up with battalions of M26 Pershings.

Yes, US could have built comparably mammoth tanks - and perhaps the British, too (I am not sure how many Centurions could have been fielded by 1946). So it may be permissible for them to have top-tier tanks. But even Italy has them in this game (I just checked in-game, and I couldn't believe it)! ;(

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 8
RE: Super-heavy units? - 5/6/2021 10:32:22 AM   
The Land

quote:

Yes, US could have built comparably mammoth tanks - and perhaps the British, too (I am not sure how many Centurions could have been fielded by 1946). So it may be permissible for them to have top-tier tanks. But even Italy has them in this game (I just checked in-game, and I couldn't believe it)! ;(

I don't think it really matters if you turn them off for Italy and Japan - those countries will never build them unless someone is engineering a kind of alternate history fantasy against the AI - and if someone really WANTS to play a game where the Italians take Washington DC with a heavy tank unit, why stop them doing so?

Post #: 9
RE: Super-heavy units? - 5/6/2021 10:34:11 AM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

...if someone really WANTS to play a game where the Italians take Washington DC with a heavy tank unit, why stop them doing so?

I feel there has to be some balance between game-play and historical fidelity in a game that is so heavily based on actual history! ;)

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 10
RE: Super-heavy units? - 5/6/2021 3:11:10 PM   
Platoonist

quote:

I feel there has to be some balance between game-play and historical fidelity in a game that is so heavily based on actual history! ;)

This is a game that makes a lot of concessions to playability and intuitive, easy to understand mechanics which makes it simple and quick to get into.

However, there are things everyone is going to arch their eyebrows at. For me in this game it was that India, a British Crown Colony which relied on the mother country for all its kit, is having to do it's own R&D for better military equipment like any other major power. To me it should be a minor power like Australia or Canada, but hey. C’est la Guerre. In every game there oddities I learn to live with. Even your complex Gary Grigsby titles have issues that make me shake my head.

quote:

the Yamato starts out as an elite 12 strength battleship...

Frankly, I've always felt the Yamatos class BBs were over-hyped white elephants. Or, as Admiral Yamamoto once said, as about as useful as a samurai sword. When one of them ran smack into one of my submarine picket lines, lost half it's strength and got polished off by air power in my turn it seemed quite appropriate. I think one thing this game does well is demonstrate the relative futility of the battleship by World War Two

Post #: 11
RE: Super-heavy units? - 5/6/2021 3:20:04 PM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

This is a game that makes a lot of concessions to playability and intuitive, easy to understand mechanics which makes it simple and quick to get into.

However, there are things everyone is going to arch their eyebrows at. For me in this game it was that India, a British Crown Colony which relied on the mother country for all its kit, is having to do it's own R&D for better military equipment like any other major power. To me it should be a minor power like Australia or Canada, but hey. C’est la Guerre. In every game there oddities I learn to live with. Even your complex Gary Grigsby titles have issues that make me shake my head.

I totally agree on India's status in this game. It's one of the biggest sore thumbs for me. I don't get it - at all. Perhaps some concession to political correctness? (But then, the devs let people post racial slurs such as "Nips" and "Japs" repeatedly on this forum, so I doubt it.)

quote:

Frankly, I've always felt the Yamatos class BBs were over-hyped white elephants. Or, as Admiral Yamamoto once said, as about as useful as a samurai sword. When one of them ran smack into one of my submarine picket lines, lost half it's strength and got polished off by air power in my turn it seemed quite appropriate. I think one thing this game does well is demonstrate the relative futility of the battleship by World War Two

I agree and disagree. I obviously agree that battleships - even super battleships such as the Yamato class (or the planned Montana class) - were being out-dated in the context of World War II and the emerging dominance of naval air power. But in the context of relative power against peer battleships, Yamato was, well, without peer. And I feel this aspect should be represented by a whole new category, rather than just starting with more veterancy (which can be equalled later by any other battleships).

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 12
RE: Super-heavy units? - 5/6/2021 3:59:59 PM   
Hubert Cater

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alcibiades73]

quote:

...if someone really WANTS to play a game where the Italians take Washington DC with a heavy tank unit, why stop them doing so?

Hi Alcibiades73,

Often it is a careful balance between history and "what if?" and many players enjoy being able to re-write history within reason.

As others have mentioned, not everyone will agree on what is "historical" and even with the "what if?" options there are pros and cons as we've tried to ensure nothing is automatic or a sure fire path to victory. Balance is always kept in mind and we do our best to ensure this is the case.

The nice thing is that in the end the game is highly editable and if there are any options players would like to change, the game can certainly be amended to suit one's taste as preferred.

Hope this helps,
Hubert

Post #: 13
RE: Super-heavy units? - 5/6/2021 4:02:49 PM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hubert Cater

Hi Alcibiades73,

Often it is a careful balance between history and "what if?" and many players enjoy being able to re-write history within reason.

As others have mentioned, not everyone will agree on what is "historical" and even with the "what if?" options there are pros and cons as we've tried to ensure nothing is automatic or a sure fire path to victory. Balance is always kept in mind and we do our best to ensure this is the case.

The nice thing is that in the end the game is highly editable and if there are any options players would like to change, the game can certainly be amended to suit one's taste as preferred.

Hope this helps,
Hubert

Understandable.

Now that you are here, could you answer my modding question, please? ;)

Specifically, if I try to place extra units on the map, I keep getting a pop-up that says "some scripts need to be updated." Is this just a generic message I can ignore? Or do I actually have to touch scripts (which I have no idea how to even begin)?

< Message edited by Alcibiades73 -- 5/6/2021 4:03:31 PM >

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 14
RE: Super-heavy units? - 5/6/2021 4:12:34 PM   
Hubert Cater

quote:

Perhaps some concession to political correctness?

All of our design decisions are for game play, and off hand I wouldn't even understand why making India it's own major would be considered politically correct? Just being honest here I wouldn't even know what that means within the context of this game.

For example, I know in our older versions of the global map India, and even Poland in our European maps were minors, but making them majors opens up certain design and balance advantages that might introduce other compromises such as having to research on its own etc. In the end the pros still outweighed the cons and Bill will likely pipe in to explain it further if needed.

quote:

(But then, the devs let people post racial slurs such as "Nips" and "Japs" repeatedly on this forum, so I doubt it.)

If we can, I'd kindly ask to not go down this road please? The forums are managed by Matrix and ourselves and sometimes things are missed. Please do let us know, Matrix and ourselves, and we are happy to address any concerns and address any issues that need to be handled in the forums.

Scanning the forums once or twice a day and something might be missed or mistakes can happen, and while I agree that we can avoid certain words I don't ever remember anyone using the word "Nip", at least not in recent memory. If I'm wrong please point us in the direction of this and we would be happy to address it.

I agree on the word Japs and would just kindly ask everyone to please avoid using this going forward.

Thanks,
Hubert

< Message edited by Hubert Cater -- 5/6/2021 4:13:00 PM >

Post #: 15
RE: Super-heavy units? - 5/6/2021 4:17:15 PM   
Torplexed

quote:

However, there are things everyone is going to arch their eyebrows at. For me in this game it was that India, a British Crown Colony which relied on the mother country for all its kit, is having to do it's own R&D for better military equipment like any other major power. To me it should be a minor power like Australia or Canada, but hey. C’est la Guerre.

I do get a kick out of the fact that Serbia-Montenegro is also a playable 'major power' in the WWI version of this game. It seems to work for as long as they last.

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 16
RE: Super-heavy units? - 5/6/2021 4:17:30 PM   
Hubert Cater

quote:

Understandable.

Now that you are here, could you answer my modding question, please? ;)

Specifically, if I try to place extra units on the map, I keep getting a pop-up that says "some scripts need to be updated." Is this just a generic message I can ignore? Or do I actually have to touch scripts (which I have no idea how to even begin)?

Please use Campaign->Edit AI (or Event) scripts, and then click on the Update button. This will ensure the scripts have all been recompiled accordingly and if not there may be an issue that would need to be amended in the scripts to match any map changes as applicable.

Hope this helps,
Hubert

Post #: 17
RE: Super-heavy units? - 5/6/2021 4:27:44 PM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

If we can, I'd kindly ask to not go down this road please? The forums are managed by Matrix and ourselves and sometimes things are missed. Please do let us know, Matrix and ourselves, and we are happy to address any concerns and address any issues that need to be handled in the forums.

Scanning the forums once or twice a day and something might be missed or mistakes can happen, and while I agree that we can avoid certain words I don't ever remember anyone using the word "Nip", at least not in recent memory. If I'm wrong please point us in the direction of this and we would be happy to address it.

I agree on the word Japs and would just kindly ask everyone to please avoid using this going forward.

Thanks,
Hubert

Hubert,

Thanks for the considerate and measured reply.

But two emphatic points.

First, racial slurs such as "Japs" or "Nips" are beyond the pale in modern discourse - at least in the United States (where many of your customers live). It is not in any fashion different from the "n" word in its implications and the hurt caused. This is even more so in today's environment, where there is a frenzy of anti-Asian violence in the West - where my elderly mother fears to even step outside. But really this is not even news for some Asian-Americans; I have had a knife pulled on me by skinheads - who kept yelling "we are going to skin you, chink" - in high school almost three decades ago.

Second, given that the instances where racial slurs against Asian-Americans occur on this particular forum are so frequent, I find it most difficult to believe you have not noticed it due to busy schedule. We are not talking about a once-in-a-blue moon event here. They are really that ubiquitous. And you don't "ever remember" someone using the world "Nip"? It's in an actual title of a thread, even!

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4899259

The said poster, by the way, is the most frequent offender - though not the only one. He is a prolific poster, and it seems that he uses racial slurs on every thread where he is a participant and where Japan comes up. It boggles the mind that no dev/moderator has noticed it.

Really, would this persistent outrage have been left to fester if the term used was the "n-" word or even something like "kike"? (See what happened to an NBA player who used this word in private time - he got released by his team!)

Honestly, the message I got from this forum was "it is okay to discriminate against 'dem yellow people - their 'model minority' asses don't care."

< Message edited by Alcibiades73 -- 5/6/2021 4:35:09 PM >

Post #: 18
RE: Super-heavy units? - 5/6/2021 4:28:33 PM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

Please use Campaign->Edit AI (or Event) scripts, and then click on the Update button. This will ensure the scripts have all been recompiled accordingly and if not there may be an issue that would need to be amended in the scripts to match any map changes as applicable.

Hope this helps,
Hubert

That does help. Thank you!

Post #: 19
RE: Super-heavy units? - 5/6/2021 7:14:45 PM   
Bo Rearguard

quote:

But in the context of relative power against peer battleships, Yamato was, well, without peer. And I feel this aspect should be represented by a whole new category, rather than just starting with more veterancy (which can be equalled later by any other battleships).

Maybe so, but from everything I've read both Yamato and her sister come across almost as a liability. Apparently, they drank so much fuel (each had 6,300 ton tanks) that operating them at sea strained the IJN's resources and limited their use. If there was a super battleship category in the game I think Japan should have to pay MPPs just to move these behemoths.

Actually, they weren't completely useless. They often acted as a floating fuel reserve in place of actual tankers. They were even used to ferry troops. Probably not the vaunted purpose the designers and admirals intended though.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist ...." Union General John Sedgwick, 1864

Post #: 20
RE: Super-heavy units? - 5/6/2021 8:26:38 PM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bo Rearguard

Maybe so, but from everything I've read both Yamato and her sister come across almost as a liability. Apparently, they drank so much fuel (each had 6,300 ton tanks) that operating them at sea strained the IJN's resources and limited their use. If there was a super battleship category in the game I think Japan should have to pay MPPs just to move these behemoths.

Actually, they weren't completely useless. They often acted as a floating fuel reserve in place of actual tankers. They were even used to ferry troops. Probably not the vaunted purpose the designers and admirals intended though.

The issue isn't really whether Yamato was cost-efficient or a "liability," to use your word. I grant all that. In fact, from the perspective of cost efficiency, a lot of other celebrated weapon platforms should be considered so as well. For instance, Hitler may have been better off funneling funds from Tiger IIs (which were difficult to maintain and very costly) to Panthers. Heck, did any battleship "pay for itself" - to use tactical combat games parlance - during WWII? But my only point is that the Yamato's power is not properly reflected, if the game just gives it 2 extra veterancy - which can soon be equaled by any other battleship (even of the 1910s vintage!).

(in reply to Bo Rearguard)
Post #: 21
RE: Super-heavy units? - 5/6/2021 8:38:40 PM   
Hubert Cater

quote:

But two emphatic points.

Thanks for pointing out that thread and I'll amend it accordingly. If you have any other threads or concerns please let me know and I can adjust them as needed. Feel free to send me a private message if that is better for you.

Generally, if you have any concerns please use the Matrix Support option to open up a support ticket and raise your concerns there, or send either Bill or I a private message and we will do our best to address them.

If you have a question about the game, please continue to feel free to ask us or other forum members.

That being said, we'd just like to re-iterate, our games don't have a political agenda, all we want to do is recreate historical situations and provide players with the opportunity to see if they can do as well, or better, as their historical counterparts.

Learning history and having fun in the process.

Post #: 22
RE: Super-heavy units? - 5/6/2021 11:33:46 PM   
Elessar2

The dreadnought slot is open for the superbattleships, and even in the vanilla editor's default stats come with better stats (+1 across the board for naval attack/ defense) than the regular BB's do. As said above it's problematic to simply give the Yamato's 2 bars of experience, since they will vanish when it has to repair major battle damage.

Post #: 23
RE: Super-heavy units? - 5/7/2021 1:09:08 AM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

Thanks for pointing out that thread and I'll amend it accordingly. If you have any other threads or concerns please let me know and I can adjust them as needed. Feel free to send me a private message if that is better for you.

Generally, if you have any concerns please use the Matrix Support option to open up a support ticket and raise your concerns there, or send either Bill or I a private message and we will do our best to address them.

Thanks for your understanding. But I am skeptical that prior threads where such racial slurs are hurled so liberally can be cleaned up at this point, given how much of the stuff is out there. AS I said, the poster I've referenced alone seems to have used either "Japs" or "Nips" on every thread in which he participated and in which Japan has come up as a topic - and he is one of the most prolific posters here. Indeed, I can confidently say that there are - without exaggeration - dozens of "Japs" or "Nips" littered by him alone; and I wouldn't be surprised if there are not literally hundreds of instances from him alone. Again, it's incredible that none of you noticed this.

I did notice another thread where such racial slur was on the thread title, but it seems to be no longer there (perhaps you or the author amended it). I do think a clearer dev statement that this is not unacceptable - especially to the most frequent perpetrators - will go a long way to prevent this problem.

And yes, I will bring it up in a more formal fashion if the behavior persists without some moderation.

< Message edited by Alcibiades73 -- 5/7/2021 1:13:08 AM >

Post #: 24
RE: Super-heavy units? - 5/7/2021 1:12:27 AM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

ORIGINAL: Elessar2

The dreadnought slot is open for the superbattleships, and even in the vanilla editor's default stats come with better stats (+1 across the board for naval attack/ defense) than the regular BB's do. As said above it's problematic to simply give the Yamato's 2 bars of experience, since they will vanish when it has to repair major battle damage.

Thank you very much for this info; I will accordingly transfer Yamato and Musashi from the battleship class to the dreadnought class. I assume these two battleships are already ordered when the game starts? Also, is their an event to transform Shinano to a carrier or battleship in this game?

Edit 1: I changed both Yamato and Musashi to dreadnoughts - as well as the 5 US Montana class battleships and the 4 speculative German H-class battleships.

Edit 2: It looks like the Shinano event is indeed in the game.

< Message edited by Alcibiades73 -- 5/7/2021 3:03:50 AM >

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 25
RE: Super-heavy units? - 5/9/2021 1:23:52 AM   
Elessar2

Here ya go on my Shinano scripts (dreadnought vs. fleet carrier):

NOTE! The condition positions are for my Pacific map, not vanilla. Just change the Tokyo hex position back to vanilla's in the first script, should be good to go.

decision file:

;
; Deploying the Shinano
{
#NAME= DE 803 - Japan: Building The Shinano (AI - 100% Yes)
#POPUP=
#MESSAGE= <<TAG_303>>
#IMAGE=
#SOUND=
#FLAG= 1
#TYPE= 0
#AI= 0
#LEVEL= 0
;Set global variable condition to always trigger (dummy value)
#GV= 1[1,100]
;Set link value to always trigger (dummy value)
#LINK= 0[0]
#COUNTRY_ID= 60
#TRIGGER= 100
#DISPLAY_ORDER= 1
;Set decision value
#DECISION= 803
#MPP_UPDOWN= 0
#MPP_TURNS= 0
#MPP_TEXT=
#NOTES= <<TAG_334>>
#NOTES_POSITION=
;Set AI acceptance % (AI will accept 25% of the time)
#AI_RESPONSE= 25
#AI_RESPONSE_POPUP=
#DATE= 1942/06/30
#TEXT_RGB= 0,0,0
#SHADOW_RGB= 228,221,198
;Set Alignment Position (Tokyo):
#ALIGNMENT_POSITION= 123,53 [1]
;Set National Morale Trigger (dummy value)
#NATIONAL_MORALE_TRIGGER= 0 [0]
;Set variable conditions:
;1st Line - Japan politically aligned with Axis and not surrendered
#VARIABLE_CONDITION= 60 [1] [100] [0]
;Dummy condition position (always satisfied)
#CONDITION_POSITION= 0,0 [0,0] [0,0] [0] [0]
}

unit file:

{
#NAME= DE 803 - Shinano Dreadnought Prepares For Battle
#POPUP= <<TAG_81>>
#IMAGE=
#SOUND=
#FLAG= 1
#TYPE= 1
#AI= 0
#LEVEL= 0
#GV= 1[1,100]
#LINK= 803[1]
#COUNTRY_ID= 60
#TRIGGER= 100
#PRIVATE= 0
#DISPLAY_TURN= 0
#FULL_RESEARCH= 0
#DESTINATION_RESOURCE= 122,54
#DATE= 1941/12/07
#FAILSAFE_DATE= 1944/01/15
; Japan politically aligned with Axis and not surrendered
; Dummy condition position (never satisfied)
#CONDITION_POSITION= 0,0 [0,0] [1,1] [0] [0]
#UNIT= 35 [10] [0] [Shinano]
}

{
#NAME= DE 803 - Shinano Carrier Prepares For Battle
#POPUP= <<TAG_82>>
#IMAGE=
#SOUND=
#FLAG= 1
#TYPE= 1
#AI= 0
#LEVEL= 0
#GV= 1[1,100]
#LINK= 803[0]
#COUNTRY_ID= 60
#TRIGGER= 100
#PRIVATE= 0
#DISPLAY_TURN= 0
#FULL_RESEARCH= 0
#DESTINATION_RESOURCE= 122,54
#DATE= 1941/12/07
#FAILSAFE_DATE= 1944/11/19
; Japan politically aligned with Axis and not surrendered
; Dummy condition position (never satisfied)
#CONDITION_POSITION= 0,0 [0,0] [1,1] [0] [0]
#UNIT= 42 [10] [0] [Shinano]
}

unit TEXT file:

<<TAG_81>>= Shinano Dreadnought Prepares For Battle

decision TEXT file:

<<TAG_303>>= <<TAG_303>>= %NThe %NNaval yard at %NYokosuka has a giant dreadnought called the %NShinano under construction-sister ship to the %NYamato & %NMusashi. %N%NThe ship can continue production as a dreadnought, or the hull can be converted so it will be completed as a fleet carrier. %N%NIf it is completed as a dreadnought the ship would be available at Tokyo Harbour on the 15th of %NJanuary 1944. %N%NHowever, if you choose to produce it as an aircraft carrier then it will take an additional seven months to convert and complete, and be available on the 19th of November 1944. %N%NIt would still need to be properly fitted before it can be sent into battle. %N%NWould you like to continue with production as a dreadnought %B(YES), or convert the hull into an Aircraft Carrier %B(NO)?

Post #: 26
RE: Super-heavy units? - 5/9/2021 10:34:13 AM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

Here ya go on my Shinano scripts (dreadnought vs. fleet carrier):

Thanks, but this seems way too complicated, given that I do not know where to stick this in - and if I need to delete any event script.

Wouldn't it be easier if I just delete the regular Shinano event and add Shinano as a Dreadnought on the production queue section of the editor?

Also, in terms of overall capability in this game, which option would you say is superior anyways - Dreadnought or aircraft carrier? If the latter, then I won't need to change anything.

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 27
RE: Super-heavy units? - 5/9/2021 10:47:57 AM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

unit TEXT file:

<<TAG_81>>= Shinano Dreadnought Prepares For Battle

decision TEXT file:

<<TAG_303>>= <<TAG_303>>= %NThe %NNaval yard at %NYokosuka has a giant dreadnought called the %NShinano under construction-sister ship to the %NYamato & %NMusashi. %N%NThe ship can continue production as a dreadnought, or the hull can be converted so it will be completed as a fleet carrier. %N%NIf it is completed as a dreadnought the ship would be available at Tokyo Harbour on the 15th of %NJanuary 1944. %N%NHowever, if you choose to produce it as an aircraft carrier then it will take an additional seven months to convert and complete, and be available on the 19th of November 1944. %N%NIt would still need to be properly fitted before it can be sent into battle. %N%NWould you like to continue with production as a dreadnought %B(YES), or convert the hull into an Aircraft Carrier %B(NO)?

Also, how do I access the "text" file in the editor? I found both the "decision" file and the "unit" file, but not the "text" file.

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 28
RE: Super-heavy units? - 5/9/2021 9:29:12 PM   
Elessar2

Yeah, you'll have to navigate to the subfolder manually. There's 4 language subfolders, they're in the "EN" one.

Aye, the easiest way to do it would be to go with your choice in the editor and add which version of the ship you want before actually starting the game.

Post #: 29
RE: Super-heavy units? - 5/9/2021 9:54:57 PM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

Yeah, you'll have to navigate to the subfolder manually. There's 4 language subfolders, they're in the "EN" one.

Aye, the easiest way to do it would be to go with your choice in the editor and add which version of the ship you want before actually starting the game.

How do I delete the Shinano event altogether in the editor then? I don't see any "delete script" type of command. I was thinking of putting Shinano on the production queue - just like Yamato and Musashi.

(By the way, I don't understand why Littorio and Vittorio Veneto are not on the queue when all the other modern Axis battleships get that treatment - as well George V class battleships; Italy just seems to be screwed more in this game even than they were historically.)

< Message edited by Alcibiades73 -- 5/9/2021 9:55:44 PM >

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Super-heavy units? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI