Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: A few newbie questions in terms of grand strategy

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> RE: A few newbie questions in terms of grand strategy Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: A few newbie questions in terms of grand strategy - 5/6/2021 12:11:58 AM   
Alcibiades73

Oh, I had another strategy question as Axis:

Is permitting the Italians to go after the Greeks recommended? I didn't, because historically this didn't end well and arguably doomed Hitler due to delaying Barbarossa - but I guess we are not always bound by historical precedents here? :)

(in reply to Alcibiades73)
Post #: 31
RE: A few newbie questions in terms of grand strategy - 5/6/2021 1:33:04 AM   
Platoonist

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alcibiades73

Oh, I had another strategy question as Axis:

Is permitting the Italians to go after the Greeks recommended? I didn't, because historically this didn't end well and arguably doomed Hitler due to delaying Barbarossa - but I guess we are not always bound by historical precedents here? :)

I think the most common tactic regarding Greece is to let Germany dictate the timing for an invasion and maybe the Italians get to pitch in a little with Germany doing the heavy lifting. As was the case in history, Italy doesn't manage well on it's own.

You can ignore Greece, but if it starts leaning Allied, you may have a problem on your southern flank. Greece is a lot harder to invade when it's suddenly full of British units.

Post #: 32
RE: A few newbie questions in terms of grand strategy - 5/6/2021 2:01:36 AM   
Bo Rearguard

quote:

The more forum posts I read, the more I get the sense that it is easier to play the Allies due to their far larger economies...

Truthfully, I've always felt that both the United States and the Soviet Union are a bit under-powered in this game. Probably for play balance reasons. Historically, Germany found itself fighting two giants. One with the world's largest army and the other with the world's largest economy. I don't think they ever really had a chance, but in the game it's quite possible.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist ...." Union General John Sedgwick, 1864

Post #: 33
RE: A few newbie questions in terms of grand strategy - 5/6/2021 2:16:22 AM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platoonist

I think the most common tactic regarding Greece is to let Germany dictate the timing for an invasion and maybe the Italians get to pitch in a little with Germany doing the heavy lifting. As was the case in history, Italy doesn't manage well on it's own.

You can ignore Greece, but if it starts leaning Allied, you may have a problem on your southern flank. Greece is a lot harder to invade when it's suddenly full of British units.

So ignore when the event pops up for Italy but just invade with Germany when ready?

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 34
RE: A few newbie questions in terms of grand strategy - 5/6/2021 2:17:18 AM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bo Rearguard

Truthfully, I've always felt that both the United States and the Soviet Union are a bit under-powered in this game. Probably for play balance reasons. Historically, Germany found itself fighting two giants. One with the world's largest army and the other with the world's largest economy. I don't think they ever really had a chance, but in the game it's quite possible.

That might be right, but that's where gameplay balance takes a precedence over historical fidelity! ;)

(in reply to Bo Rearguard)
Post #: 35
RE: A few newbie questions in terms of grand strategy - 5/6/2021 11:22:54 AM   
wobbleguts

quote:

Thanks for the comprehensive reply; I excerpted only the sections I had follow-up questions:

On soft build limits: One of my main concerns in the later - or even middle turns - is that the AI unit spam would get out of hand. I have seen games on Youtube where the AI replaces units faster than the human player can destroy, and it results in the AI having excess of 10k war chest in the end. Wouldn't soft build limits make the AI spam that much worse?

I haven't had that problem. If anything, the AI seems less effective when building new units with soft build enabled. The Land posted (on this thread)...The AI doesn't really understand soft build limits - it appears to make poor choices with them - building very expensive units above the limits when similar units are available within the limits. So this option hampers its efficiency somewhat. So that works to my advantage as well!

quote:

On the Chinese terrain: For this very reason, I am thinking researching Armored Warfare quickly and plopping down tanks in China. They have more movement than infantry and can attack multiple times - preventing wounded Chinese units from retreating and replenishing. Would this work?

No. Tanks need roads/open terrain to move about. They can't go up mountains. I did use tanks in China, but mostly in the north where there is some suitable terrain. Even then it was heavy going because of stretched supply lines etc.

quote:

On playing only one nation: I asked the same question in this thread to someone who recommended me to do the same: Wouldn't this disadvantage you more - especially as Axis? It seems like there needs to be some coordination for the Axis to win, and I am afraid that the other Axis powers will go to hell if I just control nly one - even if I am a newb. How did you find that the AI performs as "partners" with you?

Yes, controlling all of the Axis powers should give you a big advantage (IMO). Having said that.....

It will extend the game turns and you will be spending a LOT more time planning/moving etc. Keeping track of where everything is becomes difficult. Much easier to control 1 nation for a new player. It's the best way to learn the game mechanics without getting bogged down in detail.

Also, although I like what-if scenarios heaps, historically this just didn't happen. Italy tried to wage a separate war in the Mediterranean (until they lost all credibility) and Japan didn't help with Barbarossa because they were obsessed with the Pacific.

I intend to try this what-if myself at some stage, but it's too big/unwieldy. Will continue playing 1 power for now.

Post #: 36
RE: A few newbie questions in terms of grand strategy - 5/6/2021 11:32:36 AM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

ORIGINAL: wobbleguts

No. Tanks need roads/open terrain to move about. They can't go up mountains. I did use tanks in China, but mostly in the north where there is some suitable terrain. Even then it was heavy going because of stretched supply lines etc.

Yeah, I was thinking of using them in the north - where there is considerable desert and plains terrain. Go flank the Chinese northern front...

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 37
RE: A few newbie questions in terms of grand strategy - 5/6/2021 11:33:40 AM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

ORIGINAL: wobbleguts

Yes, controlling all of the Axis powers should give you a big advantage (IMO). Having said that.....

It will extend the game turns and you will be spending a LOT more time planning/moving etc. Keeping track of where everything is becomes difficult. Much easier to control 1 nation for a new player. It's the best way to learn the game mechanics without getting bogged down in detail.

Got it - and good counter-points!

Post #: 38
RE: A few newbie questions in terms of grand strategy - 5/6/2021 11:43:58 PM   
Elessar2

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Elessar2

The issue with the US Pacific AI is manifold: the unit build scripts are suboptimal for building any sort of substantial fleet, made worse by the American shortfall in historical income. The scripts are simplified; they basically can work in a chain, where the conquest of one objective will (hopefully) trigger a new one closer to the Japanese home islands. But this means it will keep sending ships at the same targets over and over until either it takes the target or has no more ships to send. But there is a very troublesome script which is flipped on in 1944 iirc where it will send fleets right at the home islands without having taken anything else first.

In one game I sunk over 40 USN ships (plus about 20 transports/amphibs), losing only 5 of my own (the Musashi and 4 DDs/CLs).

That sounds stupid. Which script is it precisely? I may disable it.

I believe it is this one:

#NAME= USA Build Up Fleet - San Francisco -> Japan Invasion Support (1944)

Post #: 39
RE: A few newbie questions in terms of grand strategy - 5/7/2021 1:14:56 AM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

ORIGINAL: Elessar2

#NAME= USA Build Up Fleet - San Francisco -> Japan Invasion Support (1944)

Thank you so much yet again!

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 40
RE: A few newbie questions in terms of grand strategy - 5/14/2021 4:10:39 PM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

ORIGINAL: eriador08

To 7: If you decline Vichy you get the chance to annex whole France with big parts of their colonial territory like Algeria, Tunisia and Syria. This can be very handy, if you want to secure the Mediterranean anyway. You get also a better chance for a axis Spain. There is even an event for this purpose. You need to take Algiers to finish France off though, since they will move to Africa and fight on from there.

After running an Axis playthrough, I now think conquering southern France is in fact the better approach for my play-style. You do get a decent chunk of MPPs for that time frame; and I have a far easier access to the Mediterranean bolstering southern Italy.

(in reply to eriador08)
Post #: 41
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> RE: A few newbie questions in terms of grand strategy Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI