Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Naval Spotting 0?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Naval Spotting 0? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Naval Spotting 0? - 5/1/2021 9:02:08 PM   
CaesarAug

What practical effect would setting naval spotting for ships, motor torpedo boats and submarines (except carriers) to 0?

Would that partially mimic the WarPlan naval effect of not being able to intercept naval units during movement, unless they traverse an enemy naval unit in the same hex?

In other words, would a naval spotting of 0 only detect enemy naval units if during movement, they coincide in the same hex and exchange fire to see which, if any, ends up occupying that hex?

Just thinking aloud… thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Naval Spotting 0? - 5/3/2021 10:39:38 AM   
CaesarAug

I’ve been testing naval spotting 0…

Although naval spotting can be set to 0 for naval units in the editor, in practical game terms it seems to consider it as if set to 1.
I purposely moved a ship (with naval spotting 0) right next to an enemy ship.
I was expecting not being able to spot it, but it did, as if its naval spotting were 1. Interesting to know.

It seems that as per the Strategic Command rules, “naval cruising” is probably a similar way to the WarPlan gameplay, whereby naval units can sail (twice as far with combat and supply restrictions) while not detecting (?) enemy naval units within its naval spotting parameter, and likewise avoid being spotted and intercepted?

And yet, the Manual seems to suggest otherwise with respect to spotting and interception. Or does naval cruising makes it less likely to spot while sailing, and less likely to be spotted and intercepted?

Thanks for any clarification.

< Message edited by CaesarAug -- 5/3/2021 10:49:48 AM >

(in reply to CaesarAug)
Post #: 2
RE: Naval Spotting 0? - 5/3/2021 4:43:25 PM   
Hubert Cater

Hi CaesarAug,

Thanks for the questions and from a practical point of view, if memory serves, setting naval units to 0 spotting doesn't work with the game engine, so even if set to 0, I believe the engine treats it as a 1 at a minimum as you discovered. However, spotting in land as a naval unit can be 0.

For naval cruise, the units will not spot along their path of travel, but it shouldn't prevent a unit traveling in naval cruise mode from being 'surprised' and intercepted. If you find otherwise please let me know.

Hubert

(in reply to CaesarAug)
Post #: 3
RE: Naval Spotting 0? - 5/4/2021 7:14:28 AM   
CaesarAug

Thanks, Hubert. Yes, naval spotting 0 for naval units does not work as one could expect. Minimum is still 1.
Might be interesting to make starting naval spotting work as 0, though, (except carriers, of course)
as it does for land spotting, while still being research upgradable.

And as for naval cruising, it does seem to work as you say. Haven’t noticed otherwise.

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Naval Spotting 0? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI