Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Underwater Wave

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Underwater Wave Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Underwater Wave - 4/30/2021 10:38:41 PM   
elxaime

I had no idea such things existed, but one may have doomed the Indonesian submarine.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/underwater-wave-may-have-sunk-indonesian-submarine/ar-BB1getCG?ocid=msedgdhp
Post #: 1
RE: Underwater Wave - 5/1/2021 2:50:34 AM   
kevinkins

Have to keep an eye on this theory. I never heard of this too. Sound travels through water very efficiently. But does any mass of water move in such a way below sea level to the extent it could sink a sub?

Found this today ... might be a little known but real phenomenon:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-30/indonesian-submarine-may-have-been-hit-by-internal-wave/100102816

< Message edited by kevinkins -- 5/1/2021 2:46:59 PM >

“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
― Alfred Thayer Mahan

(in reply to elxaime)
Post #: 2
RE: Underwater Wave - 5/1/2021 3:42:56 PM   
BDukes

Interesting stuff from the perspective that places with noisy currents noise might be good places to hide.

Those subs were upgraded not too long about but definitely aren't spring chickens. My money is some sort of critical failure. Dangerous business this.

Mike

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 3
RE: Underwater Wave - 5/3/2021 6:30:31 PM   
KungPao

Back in 2014, PLAN almost lost a Kilo to underwater wave. The boat dropped 300m in 8 min. Thanks to the crew's quick reaction and luck the Kilo Yuan Zheng 72 (372) survived but the hull was damaged.

Sorry, the report is in Chinese
https://news.qq.com/a/20141217/059754.htm

Sir? Do you want to order a Kung Pao Chicken or a Kung Fu Chicken?

(in reply to BDukes)
Post #: 4
RE: Underwater Wave - 5/8/2021 11:41:47 AM   
BeirutDude

Kelvin Waves, actually well known for a long time. I when I was on active duty had heard of subs seriously knocked around by them, but never a loss to one. That said, Indonesia is one of the most tectonically active areas on the planet. People talk about a Yellowstone super eruption, but if it were to actually happen Indonesia is most likely. Tambora in 1815 was a 7 on the 1-8 Volcanic Explosive Index (VEI), and caused the "Year without a summer in 1816."

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!

(in reply to elxaime)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Underwater Wave Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI