Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Another interdiction query

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Another interdiction query Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Another interdiction query - 4/29/2021 7:54:41 AM   
cato13

ive just had a land battle where i was attacked by the axis in clear terrain with friendly interdiction of 9 over the hex the the axis attacked my unit.

losses for the axis in this battle were very light. i was under the impression that with such a high level if interdiction axis losses shouldve been way higher.

do interdiction missions need to be flown over the hex the axis units are attacking from to achieve better results? i flew the interdiction missions over my own units not the hex the attack came from.
Post #: 1
RE: Another interdiction query - 4/29/2021 10:35:40 AM   
loki100

yes, interdiction hits units moving out of the hex, so if the unit sits still its relatively unharmed (though you can hit its resupply). So if you want interdiction to hit reserves or to protect your front line you need to target the enemy hexes

(in reply to cato13)
Post #: 2
RE: Another interdiction query - 4/29/2021 12:36:32 PM   
cato13

axis attacked with over 30000 troops and 60 odd tanks. they suffered a couple of hundred casualties and 2 tanks from 60. does this sound right with attacking into a clear hex with 9 interdiction in the hex they attacked?

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3
RE: Another interdiction query - 4/29/2021 1:49:51 PM   
loki100

yes, in that the interdiction in your hex isn't what affects them, its the interdiction in the hex(es) they are moving from that matters.

Its the same in normal movement, you can enter a heavily interdicted hex fairly safely, you can't exit one without taking losses

(in reply to cato13)
Post #: 4
RE: Another interdiction query - 4/29/2021 4:04:55 PM   
cato13

yep thats what i suspected makes sense i guess. thanks for that quick answer

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 5
RE: Another interdiction query - 4/29/2021 7:02:29 PM   
rmeckman

I'm not convinced that interdiction only applies when a unit exits an interdicted hex. That would mean units occupying an interdicted hex that are attacked by opposing ground units will only be damaged by air interdiction if they are forced to retreat. If they hold, the air interdiction will have no effect. It would also mean that the interdiction damage would be applied only after---not before---the ground combat is resolved (assuming a retreat). I am pretty sure defending units can still be damaged by interdiction even if they hold in a ground attack.

Also, if interdiction only applies when exiting a hex, then the interdiction level of the hex a unit occupies will have no bearing on that unit's supply. Only interdiction in the supplying depot hex itself or hexes between the depot and unit will matter.

If interdiction only applies when units (or supply) exit a hex, I have been using it wrong in my games.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 6
RE: Another interdiction query - 4/29/2021 7:30:06 PM   
cato13

Well based on this thread its either working as designed or bugged based on what i posted above

(in reply to rmeckman)
Post #: 7
RE: Another interdiction query - 4/29/2021 9:04:20 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: rmeckman

I'm not convinced that interdiction only applies when a unit exits an interdicted hex. That would mean units occupying an interdicted hex that are attacked by opposing ground units will only be damaged by air interdiction if they are forced to retreat. If they hold, the air interdiction will have no effect. It would also mean that the interdiction damage would be applied only after---not before---the ground combat is resolved (assuming a retreat). I am pretty sure defending units can still be damaged by interdiction even if they hold in a ground attack.

Also, if interdiction only applies when exiting a hex, then the interdiction level of the hex a unit occupies will have no bearing on that unit's supply. Only interdiction in the supplying depot hex itself or hexes between the depot and unit will matter.

If interdiction only applies when units (or supply) exit a hex, I have been using it wrong in my games.

theres a few mis-interpretations in this.

Start with supply - truck movement etc to bring supply IS movement in these terms, so gets hit by interdiction. Indeed one reason to interdict is precisely to degrade the logistics system. it also hits replacements etc.

If the unit is defending best to think of it as largely static, interdiction is explicitly looking for moving targets. So if you plan to attack a hex best is either GA- unit or set your GS up.

All air damage is done before the ground combat occurs - that is why GS is such an effective mission as the disrupted elements both don't fight in that battle and are discounted from the battle outcome (this is different to how GA-unit treats disrupted elements).

(in reply to rmeckman)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Another interdiction query Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI