Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Repairs and construction units

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Repairs and construction units Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Repairs and construction units - 4/19/2021 7:39:50 AM   
39battalion

Is it worthwhile assigning more than one construction unit to repair a damaged port or railyard ?

If so, is there any limit to the number of construction units you can place in a port, city or town ?
Post #: 1
RE: Repairs and construction units - 4/19/2021 8:05:58 AM   
Mehring

Good question. There seem to be three ways to prioritise repair- Priority repairs, assigning construction units and I read yesterday, building a depot. Are there diminishing returns or cut offs in what they achieve?

“Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man.”
-Leon Trotsky

(in reply to 39battalion)
Post #: 2
RE: Repairs and construction units - 4/19/2021 8:21:22 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: 39battalion

Is it worthwhile assigning more than one construction unit to repair a damaged port or railyard ?

If so, is there any limit to the number of construction units you can place in a port, city or town ?

well the manual explicitly says that the AI routines will send more than one - it certainly does this with the Soviet construction battalions.

there is no obvious cap (unlike for fortifications) but unless you are near to an already working depot with a lot of freight you may find that lack of supply delivery becomes a constraint as much as the notional construction value.

certainly with airbase expansion, I've found that a couple of Soviet construction brigades really speeds up expansion 2-3 so that the base is actually useable before the front has moved west.

Post #: 3
RE: Repairs and construction units - 4/20/2021 3:39:41 AM   
39battalion

Thanks Loki

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 4
RE: Repairs and construction units - 4/20/2021 9:55:17 AM   
stryc

How do you 'assign' construction units to a job? I just click the 'prioritise repair' by clicking on the damage number in the location for rail/port. Is that the same thing?

Post #: 5
RE: Repairs and construction units - 4/20/2021 9:59:36 AM   
loki100

no, but it will usually trigger the AI to send a construction unit. You manaully assign from the location/city tab - see 21.6.2 and 21.5.3

(in reply to stryc)
Post #: 6
RE: Repairs and construction units - 4/20/2021 10:51:19 AM   
stryc

I see. ...I think.

Do you always have to allocate construction units to a location or will just having these SUs attached to a HQ that is present at the location initiate repairs automatically?

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 7
RE: Repairs and construction units - 4/20/2021 11:05:58 AM   
loki100

no, to repair (or build) at a location they have to be directly attached. But often the AI routines will do that for you automatically

(in reply to stryc)
Post #: 8
RE: Repairs and construction units - 4/20/2021 12:00:57 PM   
Wild

If you click priority repair should you also manually attach construction units? I'm a little confused as to what the difference is. Is one better than the other or do they both do the same thing?

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 9
RE: Repairs and construction units - 4/20/2021 12:40:32 PM   
stryc

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

no, to repair (or build) at a location they have to be directly attached. But often the AI routines will do that for you automatically

I'm confused by this response. Is it automatic or not?

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 10
RE: Repairs and construction units - 4/20/2021 12:47:33 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: stryc

quote:

both

it can happen automatically, esp if you set a hex for priority repair, you can assign a construction unit manually (either instead or in addition)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild

If you click priority repair should you also manually attach construction units? I'm a little confused as to what the difference is. Is one better than the other or do they both do the same thing?

similar - but see 21.6.2. Usually priority repair also triggers the allocation of a construction unit but its not guarenteed

(in reply to stryc)
Post #: 11
RE: Repairs and construction units - 4/20/2021 12:48:13 PM   
CapAndGown

1) Do construction units automatically assigned to build or expand an airbase return to their HQ when they are done?
2) How do I find the cites/units assigned to cities? Is there some way to highlight cities with construction units attached? In other words, how do I get my construction units out of the city before it is overrun or their job there is done?

(in reply to stryc)
Post #: 12
RE: Repairs and construction units - 4/20/2021 4:43:07 PM   
Bamilus

1) yes
2) in commanders report location tab I think you can filter to find this. Not at home but off top of my head thats where. Or you can filter on unit tab for construction units and see where they are, as well.

Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 13
RE: Repairs and construction units - 4/20/2021 4:51:26 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: CapAndGown

1) Do construction units automatically assigned to build or expand an airbase return to their HQ when they are done?
2) How do I find the cites/units assigned to cities? Is there some way to highlight cities with construction units attached? In other words, how do I get my construction units out of the city before it is overrun or their job there is done?

2 - filter the CR as below:

the rules on auto-evac are in 21.5.3

they will naturally return to the HQ once the job is done

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by loki100 -- 4/20/2021 4:54:13 PM >

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 14
RE: Repairs and construction units - 4/21/2021 12:27:23 AM   
Wild

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: stryc

quote:

both

it can happen automatically, esp if you set a hex for priority repair, you can assign a construction unit manually (either instead or in addition)

quote:

similar - but see 21.6.2. Usually priority repair also triggers the allocation of a construction unit but its not guarenteed

Thanks for the reply Loki.

I read the rule you cited but I'm still confused on priority repair. Does it actually repair anything? Or just flag it as a top priority for the AI to send a construction unit to?

< Message edited by Wild -- 4/21/2021 12:30:03 AM >

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 15
RE: Repairs and construction units - 4/21/2021 12:40:35 AM   
Bamilus

Flags it.

(in reply to Wild)
Post #: 16
RE: Repairs and construction units - 4/21/2021 9:59:13 AM   
stryc

Correct me if I'm wrong:-

- Repair crews will automatically do repair work if they're part of the HQ that currently sits in a location that needs repair. You don't need to do anything but it's not guaranteed (as the HQ's construction units might be diverted to 'priority' work nearby).
- You can still manually allocate repair units to a location, from any nearby HQ, and once the work is complete they will auto-reattach to their HQ.
- More than one construction unit will speed repair rate (given current supply limitations). I will, for example, usually allocate 2 to a project I need repairing quickly.
- Marking infrastructure at a location for 'priority repair' only flags it for automagical construction unit assignment. If you already have construction units assigned all this option does is dictate which of the assets (if more than one needs repairing) the present construction unit(s) should work on first.

(in reply to Bamilus)
Post #: 17
RE: Repairs and construction units - 4/22/2021 2:35:45 AM   
Wild

So am I wrong in assuming that priority repair should not be used and it's simply better to attach your own construction units?

(in reply to stryc)
Post #: 18
RE: Repairs and construction units - 4/22/2021 6:57:33 AM   
loki100

its a bit either/or, the advantage of just clicking priority repair is it is less of an effort , also if no construction unit is currently ready the AI remembers to allocate when they are

(in reply to Wild)
Post #: 19
RE: Repairs and construction units - 4/22/2021 8:15:19 AM   
Nix77

quote:

its a bit either/or, the advantage of just clicking priority repair is it is less of an effort , also if no construction unit is currently ready the AI remembers to allocate when they are

Isn't priority repair the better option, since it's 1AP/location, while direct assignment is 1AP/unit? Direct assignment is a guaranteed unit repairing the location so it's better in that regard.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 20
RE: Repairs and construction units - 4/22/2021 11:45:21 AM   
Wild

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nix77

quote:

Isn't priority repair the better option, since it's 1AP/location, while direct assignment is 1AP/unit? Direct assignment is a guaranteed unit repairing the location so it's better in that regard.

I don't think it's a better option but was curious what others thought. I have clicked priority repair and have seen times where no construction units had been attached the next turn. I need my railyards repaired as soon as possible so I think assigning them manually maybe the way to go.

(in reply to Nix77)
Post #: 21
RE: Repairs and construction units - 4/22/2021 12:09:54 PM   
Bamilus

If you attach a unit to a city it will repair everything, but might not choose the factory you want to repair first. So thats why I typically use priority repair since you dictate what factory you want it to repair. Also, if you attach then you have to babysit it since it will stay there until EVERYTHING is at 0 damage. Yes, priority repair doesnt guarantee a unit will get assigned, but you can manipulate construction SU assignment and attach lots of units to a nearby HQ to guarantee there will be enough to make sure the priority repair happens.

< Message edited by Bamilus -- 4/22/2021 2:48:09 PM >

(in reply to Wild)
Post #: 22
RE: Repairs and construction units - 4/22/2021 11:46:33 PM   
Wild

Interesting post Bamilus.

I had not considered the fact that if you attach it would not necessarily repair the factory I wanted to repair first. The babysitting part doesn't bother me but perhaps it's better to attach construction units based more on each situation.

(in reply to Bamilus)
Post #: 23
RE: Repairs and construction units - 4/23/2021 2:10:02 AM   
Bamilus

quote:

Interesting post Bamilus.

I had not considered the fact that if you attach it would not necessarily repair the factory I wanted to repair first. The babysitting part doesn't bother me but perhaps it's better to attach construction units based more on each situation.

Yea, I think both have their pro's and cons and are situational. I typically only use priority repair because it just puts in the queue and then I can forget about it, but I could probably get some better results if I did some more micromanagement.

(in reply to Wild)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Repairs and construction units Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI