Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

v1.23.08 Beta -- Hotfix #2

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: Jsto0033
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> v1.23.08 Beta -- Hotfix #2 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
v1.23.08 Beta -- Hotfix #2 - 4/16/2021 8:15:12 PM   
pzgndr

Attached is v1.23.08 Beta for pre-release testing. This has been a long time coming. Release notes:

Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars - 1.23.08
=============================================
- Some siege combats not working - resolved.
- Game log messages for garrisons under siege should show forage results - resolved.
- Controlled minor units cannot unload into allied area with controlling Major Power access - resolved.
- Placing new depots not in accordance with original rules - resolved (see revised rules 10.3.1 and 10.3.3 for supply source definition).
- AI enhancements for placing and removing depots - resolved.
- Russia control of Bessarabia as a ceded province in 1812 - resolved.
- Great Britain flags reversed - resolved.
- Denmark Corps incorrectly Confederation of the Rhine in Alternate 1812 French setups - resolved.
- Egyptian and Swedish light fleet counters not correct - resolved (database data files updated).
- Prompted single skip for PBEM reinforcement and naval phase not working - resolved.
- Austria reclaiming ceded provinces controlled by France and Confederation of the Rhine kingdom in 1812 scenario not working - resolved.
- Political status adjustments for conquering minors not working - resolved.
- AI-AI naval combat not working correctly - resolved.
- Multiple AI enhancements and adjustments needed - resolved.

Something I did for this release version is explicitly set the Windows target version to Windows XP Service Pack 2, so please ensure you set compatibility accordingly. I'm looking to see if this make pbem games better or not. If not, I can go back to set an unspecified target for the official release.

Last bullet there about AI enhancements covers A LOT of ground. Give the AI a spin and see what you think. If you see anything really odd, let me know. I am continuing to make a few adjustments, and I have some naval AI adjustments to look at, but overall I'm mostly satisfied with how it looks now. Let's give it a couple of weeks before I wrap it all up for the official patch. Enjoy!

Update. You should be able to copy the new EXE from the zip file into your v1.23.07 install. If you don't have that, please install v1.23.07 Beta and then the v1.23.08 Beta EXE; you won't need the v1.23.07 hotfix.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by pzgndr -- 5/8/2021 7:42:47 PM >

Bill
Empires in Arms Development Team
Post #: 1
RE: v1.23.08 Beta -- Hotfix #1 - 5/4/2021 4:22:15 PM   
pzgndr

** Hotfix #1 **

For the past couple of weeks, I've been wrestling with pbem issues. MapleLeaf and I started a 2-player game, but quickly hit a snag with Spain AI not playing diplomacy. Then we started games with me as Spain host and as Spain client, both hitting snags for DOWs not working and phases being skipped. I think these two issues are resolved, but we just hit another snag and MapleLeaf needs the attached hotfix EXE so we can see if it works.

Once we determine pbem is good to go for at least a human Spain player, I will provide an update and an All Clear to use the attached Hotfix #1. After that, I want to dig into the Spain AI problem so hopefully pbem games can proceed without a human Spain player. We'll see.

Update 5/5/21. Hotfix #1 attached here appears to have resolved the DOW and skipping problems in pbem games. MapleLeaf and I got through Jan-Feb-Mar diplomacy phases without DOWs failing or phases being skipped. It may not be perfect, but it demonstrates that small group pbem games with less than 7 players should work fine now - as long as a human player is playing Spain as host or client. I plan to dig into the pbem code further to resolve the problem of Spain AI completing the diplomacy phase correctly.

Here are some of my observations playing as Spain host/client. On the first turn and possibly others, Spain may get a "Waiting For MP Turns" message when ending its diplomacy phase. Spain needs to reload the pbem turn file. The game then shows as Spain Diplomacy again. Some diplomatic actions previously done are ok, like downgrading an influenced minor or creating a free state, but others are undone like making DOWs and setting diplomatic reactions. Spain must redo these actions and verify all diplomatic actions are complete. Then when ending the phase again, the game should process diplomacy correctly and advance to Spain's reinforcement phase. Unless Spain has deliberately set its reinforcement phase to skip, and then it should skip.

Speaking of skipping. The game will prompt pbem players if they want to skip the reinforcement phase if there are no reinforcements arriving, or if they want to skip the naval phase if there are no ships. The messages asks if you want to proceed. Yes means no skip. No means the game automatically sets the skip. You are returned to the phase and need to click the End Phase button to proceed, but without the prompt. Before you do so, you may check the skip menu to verify the correct selection. Regardless, if you are set to skip then the game should skip. so far, all this appears to be working as expected now with the Hotfix #1.

You should be able to copy the new v1.23.08 EXE from the zip file into your v1.23.07 comprehensive install, overwriting the previous v1.23.08. Enjoy!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by pzgndr -- 5/5/2021 6:53:01 PM >

Bill

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 2
RE: v1.23.08 Beta -- Hotfix #1 - 5/6/2021 1:35:36 PM   
pzgndr

Update 5/6/21. I cleaned up all of my pbem test files and started fresh to look at the AI Spain problem with diplomacy. So I set up another playtest pbem game with Great Britain as host and France as client. I was pleasantly surprised to see AI Spain complete diplomacy in January, and again in February. So I'm cautiously optimistic that Hotfix #1 also resolved this problem and may allow any small group pbem games to proceed.

If any players want to try a small-group pbem game with say 2-4 players and see how it goes, I'd appreciate any feedback you have as I turn my attention to resolving several minor bug issues and making a few more minor AI improvements for Hotfix #2 going into a release version. I really would like the v1.23.08 release to be fully supportive for PBEM games and as bug-free as possible. Some things may have to wait until later, but that's how it goes.

Attachment (1)

Bill

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 3
RE: v1.23.08 Beta -- Hotfix #2 - 5/8/2021 7:41:53 PM   
pzgndr

Update 5/8/21. I was notified of another problem with placing depots. I had made a recent change in v1.23.08 to more accurately implement the EIH rule for placing depots:

quote:

7.2.1 DEPOT IN A FRIENDLY CITY AREA
A new depot may be placed in an area containing a friendly controlled unbesieged city, in that Major Power’s home nation,
controlled ceded province, Conquered, Client State or Sponsored, Kingdom or minor country.

My code logic was faulty and was requiring a friendly city in the area. Now the code properly checks first if there is a depot in chain available within two areas and then checks again if it's a friendly city area. So that's fixed. I playtested 1812 some more to see how it worked with AI placing depots and spotted some issues. Those are resolved and seems better now.

Another adjustment I made was for naval AI. Great Britain was occasionally not blockading enemy ports. This appears to be resolved now. Again, I ran a few short playtests to see if the changes were working and they appear to be OK.

Now I will turn my attention to resolving other minor bug issues and making a few more minor AI improvements for Hotfix #3 now going into a release version. Enjoy!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by pzgndr -- 5/8/2021 7:43:54 PM >

Bill

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> v1.23.08 Beta -- Hotfix #2 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI