Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Creating a new minor country on the map

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> MODS and Scenarios >> Creating a new minor country on the map Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Creating a new minor country on the map - 4/13/2021 8:01:01 PM   
mdsmall

I have recently been working on a small mod to create a small break-away state in northern Greece that joins the Entente, on the basis of a Decision Event. This posed for me the general challenge of how to create new countries using the Game Editor.

After extensive correspondence with Bill, who was extremely helpful, I have think I have figured out how to do this. The key points seem to be as follows.

1) You can't actually create an entirely new country - you have to use one of the countries for which there is a code already in the Game Editor. Fortunately, the Editor lists many countries that do not exist on the WW1 map. So, in my case, I used The Free State of Danzig as the proxy and employed its country code.

2) To bring this new country to life, you first have to transfer hexes to it using a Territory script. I modelled mine on the Finland Declares Independence Script, but you can look at the other examples already there.

3) A key point in writing the Territory script is that the first hex in the list of hexes to be transferred has to be the hex containing the city that will be the new capital of the country. It seems the Editor understands that city will be the capital. I was not able to add the Capital, or designate Alternate Capitals, using the Country Data screen in the Editor.

4) I then wrote a Mobilization #3 script which gave the new country its alignment in the game, based on a Decision Event which triggered its creation.

5) I also wrote a Unit script to create a new corps to defend the new capital of the newly independent country.

And it worked! When I say YES to the Decision Event, a new border appears, I get a pop-up saying that Danzig has mobilized and a new corps with Danzig colours appears on the map.

Curiously, since this new state does not exist in the Diplomacy pull-down menu, neither side can DOW it, or use diplomacy to influence it. But its Major parent can buy produce new units there, if you add units to the Build menu for it under the Country Data screen.

I would be interested to hear about the experiences of other players in creating or recreating new countries in your mods.

Cheers,

Michael
Post #: 1
RE: Creating a new minor country on the map - 4/14/2021 4:52:31 PM   
The Land

Sounds good! I have never actually gone this far myself, but I believe:

quote:

ORIGINAL: mdsmall

Curiously, since this new state does not exist in the Diplomacy pull-down menu, neither side can DOW it, or use diplomacy to influence it. But its Major parent can buy produce new units there, if you add units to the Build menu for it under the Country Data screen.

If your scripts mobilise the country, this is as you'd expect - once something is in the war, it won't appear in the diplomacy menus as it's no longer a valid target.

(in reply to mdsmall)
Post #: 2
RE: Creating a new minor country on the map - 4/14/2021 6:42:33 PM   
mdsmall

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Land

If your scripts mobilise the country, this is as you'd expect - once something is in the war, it won't appear in the diplomacy menus as it's no longer a valid target.

Actually, I noticed this problem when the new minor appeared in the game as a Neutral because the Mobilization #3 scripts swinging to the Entente had not fired. At that moment, it was on the map, but neither side could cross its borders since they could neither Declare War on it or spend diplomacy to swing it to one side or another. I think the same would have been true if I had written the scripts so that it swung, say 50% to the Entente.

There must be a coding somewhere for the Diplomacy menu that distinguished new countries that are not independent but can be expected to appear during the game, e.g. Finland, from new countries that a mod designer has decided to bring into the game. But I am not sure where to find that.

BTW - please do write the remaining sections to your Guide to Writing Event scripts! I am sure others would appreciate your advice on the different ways to trigger events using the TRIGGER field and/or GLOBAL VARIABLES.

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> MODS and Scenarios >> Creating a new minor country on the map Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI