Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: So what happened to this forum?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: So what happened to this forum? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: So what happened to this forum? - 4/24/2021 8:28:46 AM   
Grognerd_INC

Hello Joe good to see you.

Don't know which state snows that much, it's not Florida.

Formerly Grognerd, currently Doc Savage

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 31
RE: So what happened to this forum? - 4/24/2021 11:09:07 AM   
chris_merchant

this is not a forum for core WW2 gamers anymore. Slitherine are releasing a _lot_ of sci-fi style or other era games these days and I'd suggest that the WW2 gamers have moved on. Nice to see them eventually publishing wite2.. (too many spreadsheets for me tho!). You may see some resurgence when Vic's Ardennes Offensive is released. And when perhaps Jason finally gets around to releasing East Front 3 :-)

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 32
RE: So what happened to this forum? - 4/24/2021 11:11:01 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris_merchant

this is not a forum for core WW2 gamers anymore. Slitherine are releasing a _lot_ of sci-fi style or other era games these days and I'd suggest that the WW2 gamers have moved on. Nice to see them eventually publishing wite2.. (too many spreadsheets for me tho!). You may see some resurgence when Vic's Ardennes Offensive is released. And when perhaps Jason finally gets around to releasing East Front 3 :-)

Your point is?

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to chris_merchant)
Post #: 33
RE: So what happened to this forum? - 4/24/2021 11:13:42 AM   
Grognerd_INC

There are plenty of us still here, but it's good to see other gamers from other genres too.

(in reply to chris_merchant)
Post #: 34
RE: So what happened to this forum? - 4/24/2021 11:30:29 AM   
RangerJoe

Going back to the snow question:

". . . winter temperatures average from 25 to 40 degrees fahrenheit, while summer temperatures varying from 30 to 60 degrees. winter temperatures average from 25 to 40 degrees fahrenheit, while summer temperatures varying from 30 to 60 degrees."

It has restrictions on going to where the snow usually is, I would not be allowed to walk there. There are other restrictions as well.

The snow usually does not last long, either. But you can ski and snow board there, weather conditions permitting.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Grognerd_INC)
Post #: 35
RE: So what happened to this forum? - 4/24/2021 4:52:38 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster

Snows every spring. No big deal. Have had snow in May.

I don't live far enough north for it to snow later than that.

I have seen snow in June and in September and not in the mountains. Some people have told me about snow here during the first part of July, a day when a lot of people celebrate something.

But you probably would not guess the US state which it snows the most days of the year on average, three guesses.

That must be Hawaii.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 36
RE: So what happened to this forum? - 4/24/2021 5:23:18 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

Snows every spring. No big deal. Have had snow in May.

I don't live far enough north for it to snow later than that.

I have seen snow in June and in September and not in the mountains. Some people have told me about snow here during the first part of July, a day when a lot of people celebrate something.

But you probably would not guess the US state which it snows the most days of the year on average, three guesses.

That must be Hawaii.

I read somewhere that it snows 200 days a year there:

Snow blankets Hawaii summits amid winter storm warning
by The Associated Press
December 2, 2016

https://phys.org/news/2016-12-blankets-hawaii-summits-winter-storm.html

February 12, 2021
Three storms have dumped snow on Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea
by Nancy Atkinson, Universe Today

https://phys.org/news/2021-02-storms-dumped-mauna-loa-kea.html

quote:

Climate

Trade winds blow from east to west across the Hawaiian islands, and the presence of Mauna Loa strongly affects the local climate. At low elevations, the eastern (windward) side of the volcano receives heavy rain; the city of Hilo is the wettest in the United States. The rainfall supports extensive forestation. The western (leeward) side has a much drier climate. At higher elevations, the amount of precipitation decreases, and skies are very often clear. Very low temperatures mean that precipitation often occurs in the form of snow, and the summit of Mauna Loa is described as a periglacial region, where freezing and thawing play a significant role in shaping the landscape.[83]

Mauna Loa has a tropical climate with warm temperatures at lower elevations and cool to cold temperatures higher up year-round. Below is the table for the slope observatory, which is at 11,150 feet (3,400 m) in the alpine zone. The highest recorded temperature was 85 °F (29 °C) and the lowest was 18 °F (−8 °C) on February 18, 2003 and February 20, 1962, respectively

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauna_Loa#Pre-contact

quote:

Weather

Know that Mauna Kea weather varies greatly and can change quickly. Daytime temperatures average between freezing and 45 degrees Fahrenheit. Summit winds above 120 mph are not uncommon, and there have even been snowstorms during the summer months. Not only that, but at 14,000 feet, be prepared for 40 percent less oxygen than at sea level.Weather

Know that Mauna Kea weather varies greatly and can change quickly. Daytime temperatures average between freezing and 45 degrees Fahrenheit. Summit winds above 120 mph are not uncommon, and there have even been snowstorms during the summer months. Not only that, but at 14,000 feet, be prepared for 40 percent less oxygen than at sea level.

https://www.hawaii.com/big-island/attractions/mauna-kea/

Skiing and Snowboarding in Hawai`i

quote:

. . . Conditions at the top are extremely variable. Winter temperatures range from 25 to 40 degrees F (-4 to 4 C), but wind chill and the high altitude can make it seem much colder. Between April and November the weather is milder, with daytime temperatures varying from 30 to 60 degrees F (0 to 15 C).

http://www.hawaiisnowskiclub.com/Mk/index.htm

Maunakea Observatories Forecast

http://mkwc.ifa.hawaii.edu/forecast/mko/index.cgi

― Julia Child

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 37
RE: So what happened to this forum? - 4/25/2021 6:18:08 AM   
Orm

When you started the question with "you probably would not guess" the obvious answer became Hawaii. At least in my humble opinion.

Thank you for sharing. Interesting stuff.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 38
RE: So what happened to this forum? - 4/25/2021 10:26:35 AM   
RangerJoe

You are welcome.

Just don't go up to the top within 24 hours after scuba diving, that is prohibited. But on Maui, you could go up to the top for a sunrise, take a bike ride down while never having to pedal while stopping to remove layers of clothing, then be at a beach for activities there.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 39
RE: So what happened to this forum? - 4/27/2021 1:18:29 PM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grognerd_INC

There is a bunch of people I have not seen in awhile, seems kind of dead.

Anyone in particular?

Post #: 40
RE: So what happened to this forum? - 4/27/2021 2:51:35 PM   
Grognerd_INC

I noted that MrsWargamer, Ranger Joe & RFalco69 had not been around.

Since then, RFalvo69 was remodeling his restaurant and MrsWargamer and Joe got in a bit of trouble with the moderators. Both came back but since MrsWargamer got another vacation.

The moderators probably don't want me talking about it though. The latest issue you can see over at Australian beauties for yourself.

I get the funny feeling that when MrsWargamer comes back again she will burn the bridge forever, seems to be in her DNA, unfortunately.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 41
RE: So what happened to this forum? - 4/27/2021 4:45:27 PM   
RFalvo69

quote:

Since then, RFalvo69 was remodeling his restaurant and MrsWargamer and Joe got in a bit of trouble with the moderators. Both came back but since MrsWargamer got another vacation.

The moderators probably don't want me talking about it though. The latest issue you can see over at Australian beauties for yourself.

I get the funny feeling that when MrsWargamer comes back again she will burn the bridge forever, seems to be in her DNA, unfortunately.

I didn't know that she got a ban, and I was surprised when she behaved so to get banned again - basically after a day.

What I think is that we should consider how each one of us by now has his nerves frayed - due to the situation outside. Yesterday I reacted badly with one waitress because... She was summing up the situation of the Restaurant (very possibly next week we will be able to reopen, even if only outside and with the usual norms in place). When she repeated I don't even remember what for the third time I said "I heard you the first time! Don't ramble!" - and she jumped.

I immediately felt ashamed and said her that I was sorry. But, even more than sorry, I was surprised by my reaction. And yet it's no wonder that, sadly, normal human behaviors are drifting. Over here, domestic violence is up. Divorces are up. Alcoholism is up. And there is a collapse in new pregnancies.

Regarding this forum, I see it as a virtual pub frequented by wargamers. Obviously topics like wargames of any kind and military history dominate, but, like in any pub, then people chat about what interests them in a given moment.

I would only say to the Mods: please, have a little bit more of patience. It is easy, today, to cross some lines without realising it.

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

Post #: 42
RE: So what happened to this forum? - 4/27/2021 5:24:05 PM   
76mm

quote:

...MrsWargamer and Joe got in a bit of trouble with the moderators. Both came back but since MrsWargamer got another vacation.

Eh? Didn't know that. I didn't think it was that easy to get banned on this forum...

Post #: 43
RE: So what happened to this forum? - 4/27/2021 7:01:59 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: RFalvo69

quote:

I didn't know that she got a ban, and I was surprised when she behaved so to get banned again - basically after a day.

What I think is that we should consider how each one of us by now has his nerves frayed - due to the situation outside. Yesterday I reacted badly with one waitress because... She was summing up the situation of the Restaurant (very possibly next week we will be able to reopen, even if only outside and with the usual norms in place). When she repeated I don't even remember what for the third time I said "I heard you the first time! Don't ramble!" - and she jumped.

I immediately felt ashamed and said her that I was sorry. But, even more than sorry, I was surprised by my reaction. And yet it's no wonder that, sadly, normal human behaviors are drifting. Over here, domestic violence is up. Divorces are up. Alcoholism is up. And there is a collapse in new pregnancies.

Regarding this forum, I see it as a virtual pub frequented by wargamers. Obviously topics like wargames of any kind and military history dominate, but, like in any pub, then people chat about what interests them in a given moment.

I would only say to the Mods: please, have a little bit more of patience. It is easy, today, to cross some lines without realising it.

Very well said.

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 44
RE: So what happened to this forum? - 4/27/2021 7:35:27 PM   
PipFromSlitherine

We are absolutely aware that everyone is wound up tight, and go to great lengths to try and calm situations with a warning. But it's also true that it is no excuse for poor behavior. We do our best but cannot be everywhere.

Cheers

Pip

follow me on Twitter here

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 45
RE: So what happened to this forum? - 4/27/2021 9:16:21 PM   
gamer78

I hope it is not understood wrong.

When I've argued Iain McNeil about Turkish&Kurdish situation about PKK in game reply was something like' this is not forum for national matters. Then I see forum topics about Anzacs and how proud to be Canadian and such.

I've moderated 10 years of gaming forum for younger and less educated. I'm pretty sure when this is only a pub there will be fight. I believe this general discussion forum should better find younger wargaming designers more involved. Otherwise some topics eh.. Regards.

(in reply to PipFromSlitherine)
Post #: 46
RE: So what happened to this forum? - 4/27/2021 9:57:16 PM   
Lobster

I don't understand how someone being proud of being Canadian or whatever is the same as a current political rivalry.

Can you please explain how they are the same? Shouldn't be difficult to do without political rhetoric.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Wearing blinders and earplugs everything you do is correct.

(in reply to gamer78)
Post #: 47
RE: So what happened to this forum? - 4/27/2021 10:15:39 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

As far as the number of pregnancies declining, blame that on social distancing.

As for the other things, sometimes they are there but just hidden. This stress does help to bring those bad things out and with the normal relief type of things restricted or gone completely, some people have a difficult time coping.

Ancient Chinese curse: "May you live in interesting times!"

― Julia Child

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 48
RE: So what happened to this forum? - 4/27/2021 10:51:33 PM   
gamer78

quote:

I don't understand how someone being proud of being Canadian or whatever is the same as a current political rivalry.

Can you please explain how they are the same? Shouldn't be difficult to do without political rhetoric.

Hi Lobster it is about stance of forum of course not about politic matters. Canada is not anyway related to that. Being Canadian or expressing here is not problem. My main point was about general discussion should encourage young wargame designers, cheers.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 49
RE: So what happened to this forum? - 4/27/2021 10:58:40 PM   
Lobster

You are correct. It says, "Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc." so according to that it is supposed to be about games.

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

(in reply to gamer78)
Post #: 50
RE: So what happened to this forum? - 4/27/2021 11:28:15 PM   
RFalvo69

quote:

You are correct. It says, "Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc." so according to that it is supposed to be about games.

For sure it is best for young wargamers to hang out here than having the s**t scared out of them in the WitE2 forum

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 51
RE: So what happened to this forum? - 4/27/2021 11:45:33 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

quote:

For sure it is best for young wargamers to hang out here than having the s**t scared out of them in the WitE2 forum

To say nothing of WiTP-AE :)

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 52
RE: So what happened to this forum? - 4/28/2021 12:13:57 AM   
gamer78

https://forum.strategyturk.com/forum-oyun-etkinlikleri#google_vignette

University students or lower. Catch the title Panzer Campaigns from list of active pbem games. Even Factorio I find it difficult.

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 53
RE: So what happened to this forum? - 4/28/2021 1:45:16 PM   
Zovs

There is nothing but the War in the East 2, everything else pales in comparison. We are immersed and lost in the digital recreation of the War in the East, hands down the best Eastern Front game ever created, board or computer. I know I have had and played all of them since 1977. And my two favorite board games ASL and the Europa series still do not shine like War in the East 2.

You don't have to get too far in the weeds to enjoy it either, hands down the best war gaming system, better than TOAW and everything else out there. PERIOD.

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

(in reply to gamer78)
Post #: 54
RE: So what happened to this forum? - 4/28/2021 2:10:11 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zovs

There is nothing but the War in the East 2, everything else pales in comparison. We are immersed and lost in the digital recreation of the War in the East, hands down the best Eastern Front game ever created, board or computer. I know I have had and played all of them since 1977. And my two favorite board games ASL and the Europa series still do not shine like War in the East 2.

You don't have to get too far in the weeds to enjoy it either, hands down the best war gaming system, better than TOAW and everything else out there. PERIOD.

Is it better than the MILES system?

― Julia Child

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 55
RE: So what happened to this forum? - 4/28/2021 3:01:14 PM   
Zovs

By far

Beta Tester for:
War in the East 1 & 2
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 56
RE: So what happened to this forum? - 4/28/2021 3:45:22 PM   
Lobster

quote:

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 57
RE: So what happened to this forum? - 4/28/2021 3:57:12 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

By far

So do you eat MREs when you play the game?

― Julia Child

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 58
RE: So what happened to this forum? - 4/28/2021 6:46:33 PM   
Zovs

We do not know of such things comrade, MRE's, you silly Americans always need to eat food, ha! We just breath in the air and we are well nourished for many days comrade. One cup of vater will sustains us for a week!

:D

Beta Tester for:
War in the East 1 & 2
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 59
RE: So what happened to this forum? - 4/29/2021 5:07:48 AM   
Orm

quote:

We do not know of such things comrade, MRE's, you silly Americans always need to eat food, ha! We just breath in the air and we are well nourished for many days comrade. One cup of vater will sustains us for a week!

:D

The propaganda is strong in you.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: So what happened to this forum? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI