Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[Q] Speed of sound underwater and fixed sonar detection lags

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [Q] Speed of sound underwater and fixed sonar detection lags Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[Q] Speed of sound underwater and fixed sonar detection... - 4/13/2021 1:28:12 PM   
DESRON420

After the changes to the deep sound channel in 1147.21, I was doing some reading and noted that SOFAR detections by fixed stations on the deep sound channel required triangulation of signals arriving at multiple detection locations at different times. I then realized that a long range sonar contact is an old contact, since sound travels around ~2900 knots through water. This isn't that important except for fixed sonar. A contact detected at 700 miles will be 15 minutes old by the time the detection is made assuming zero processing delay between the sonar stations. It would also be "relativistic", in the sense that a local observer would immediately report the submarine's presence at a given position but SOSUS would only report seeing it there 15 minutes later. Does the game take this finite propagation of underwater sound into account?

< Message edited by Dimitris -- 4/29/2021 7:10:14 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Speed of sound underwater and fixed sonar detection... - 4/22/2021 11:24:53 AM   
WSBot

(in reply to DESRON420)
Post #: 2
RE: Speed of sound underwater and fixed sonar detection... - 4/29/2021 7:09:59 AM   
Dimitris

quote:

ORIGINAL: DESRON420
Does the game take this finite propagation of underwater sound into account?

Yes, this is factored in the angular & range uncertainty.

(in reply to DESRON420)
Post #: 3
RE: Speed of sound underwater and fixed sonar detection... - 4/29/2021 7:40:40 PM   
DESRON420

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dimitris

Yes, this is factored in the angular & range uncertainty.

Impressive, thanks!

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [Q] Speed of sound underwater and fixed sonar detection lags Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI