Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Land units vs. Air and Naval units

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Land units vs. Air and Naval units Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Land units vs. Air and Naval units - 4/12/2021 6:31:21 PM   
CaesarAug

Quick questions:

1). Do Land units’ respective attack and defence values only include both direct attack and defence (respectively) against stationary Air units and Naval units in port?

2). Do Land unit respective attack values also include automatic “defending attack fire” (as it were) when being attacked by Air and Naval units?

< Message edited by CaesarAug -- 4/12/2021 7:22:14 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Land units vs. Air and Naval units - 4/13/2021 9:12:18 AM   
BillRunacre

Hi

The values themselves that you see in the unit properties do not take anything else into account, e.g. supporting fire by friendly artillery or anti-aircraft units, terrain, morale etc.

Or are you referring to the combat predictions that appear in the middle panel at the bottom before attacking?

If so they do take most things into account, though fog of war means that they may not always be a 100% accurate representation of the odds.

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to CaesarAug)
Post #: 2
RE: Land units vs. Air and Naval units - 4/13/2021 9:47:04 AM   
CaesarAug

Thanks. I was merely referring to the attack/defence stats themselves. I may not have been sufficiently clear in my inquiry.

For instance, when a Land unit is directly attacking a stationary Air or a Naval unit in port, I presume its respective attack stat (obviously modifiable by research) is used against the respective defence stat of the Air/Naval unit being attacked. If so, then I get the impression that game-default Land units attack stats are too powerful in this regard.

And when Land units are being attacked by Air units (and Naval units by shore bombardment, if possible), I presume its respective Air/Naval unit defence stat is used. But then, does the Land unit’s respective Air/Naval attack stat enter into the damage it can inflict upon the attacking Air/Naval unit? In other words, when Land units are under attack by air or shore bombardment, what Land unit stat (attack or defence) causes damage to attacking Air/Naval units?

You see, I’m trying to strike a “balance” in such warfare. It seems (to me, at least) that some game-default Land units are too powerful against stationary Air/Naval units. And likewise, it seems at times that some Land units are a bit weak against air attacks.

It’s all a question of perception. Developer and player feedback is always welcome for greater insight!

< Message edited by CaesarAug -- 4/13/2021 9:53:09 AM >

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 3
RE: Land units vs. Air and Naval units - 4/13/2021 2:55:47 PM   
Hubert Cater

quote:

ORIGINAL: CaesarAug

Thanks. I was merely referring to the attack/defence stats themselves. I may not have been sufficiently clear in my inquiry.

For instance, when a Land unit is directly attacking a stationary Air or a Naval unit in port, I presume its respective attack stat (obviously modifiable by research) is used against the respective defence stat of the Air/Naval unit being attacked. If so, then I get the impression that game-default Land units attack stats are too powerful in this regard.

This is correct, the specific Land unit attack values would be applied here to the applicable air or naval unit

quote:

And when Land units are being attacked by Air units (and Naval units by shore bombardment, if possible), I presume its respective Air/Naval unit defence stat is used. But then, does the Land unit’s respective Air/Naval attack stat enter into the damage it can inflict upon the attacking Air/Naval unit? In other words, when Land units are under attack by air or shore bombardment, what Land unit stat (attack or defence) causes damage to attacking Air/Naval units?

The defense values for the land unit would be applied when defending to cause damage to the attacker, e.g. the attack values for the land unit would not be applied when defending etc.

(in reply to CaesarAug)
Post #: 4
RE: Land units vs. Air and Naval units - 4/13/2021 3:55:50 PM   
CaesarAug

Ah... thank you kindly! So when Land units are under air/sea attack, it's actually the Land unit DEFENCE value that can cause damage to attacking Air/Naval units.

Makes perfect sense but I was doubtful as to the precise dynamic: it might also have meant that Land unit attack values could "defend" and cause the damage to Air/Naval, while the Land unit defence values could merely have "defended" BUT not cause damage to attack Air/Naval.

Very interesting insight and very and important to know for sure. Much appreciated!

Needless to say, I'm having the time of my life modding Strategic Command! I just hope to be able to play-test my modifications in an actual game soon!!!

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Land units vs. Air and Naval units Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI