Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[Logged] SM-3 IB petering out in ABM encounter

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [Logged] SM-3 IB petering out in ABM encounter Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[Logged] SM-3 IB petering out in ABM encounter - 4/11/2021 2:18:50 PM   
DWReese

This is another presumed calculation error (similar to the ABM Overshoot Issue that I reported earlier today), but this involves the SM-3 IB missile, as opposed to the SM-3 IIA.

The SM-3 IB missile (which only has a range of 200 miles, as opposed to the SM-3 IIA which has a range of 1350), is fired from the TICO when the DF-21s are about 650 miles away. Surprisingly, this missile climbs much faster to meet the target than does the SM-3 IIA in the example, and they actually make it to the proper intercept altitude. Unfortunately, it still isn't able to destroy the incoming DF-21s.

The SM-3 IB missile unfortunately runs out of fuel/energy after traveling about 230 miles from the TICO. So, again, it appears that the intercept logic needs to be tweaked just a little bit. Like the SM-s IIA issue, this happens every time.

Everything else about this encounter is the same as the other scenario.

Note, the two TPY-2 radars, and the LORENZEN are overkill and only here for early identification/interception purposes. This aspect works perfectly. It's the interception calculations that need a little tweaking.

(One other oddity worth noting: In the previous scenario, the TICO turns to a perpendicular (90 degree) heading before launching its SM-3 IIA missiles. That doesn't happen here. With the SM-3 IB the missiles are launched while the TICO is heading on its original course, which is roughly at 45 degrees. I don't know if this is significant at all, but it may be helpful.)

Thanks for looking into this.

Doug

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rory Noonan -- 4/12/2021 2:12:15 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: SM-3 IB petering out in ABM encounter - 4/11/2021 6:31:33 PM   
BDukes

Ok to add to Doug's reporting.

It looks like when the DF-21B become Mirv'd the SM-3 salvo is dropped. At drop, the DF-21 RV is still above the SM-IIIB's minimum altitude. I'm not sure where they would be though at the actual point of interception. A dev would have to let us know if that's even calculated for (aka this would be understandable if the intercept not possible because the MIRV is under minimum altitude).

Mike

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 2
RE: SM-3 IB petering out in ABM encounter - 4/11/2021 7:07:53 PM   
DWReese

I'm using v20, and db 488.

Here's another example involving the SM-3 IB (200 nm range) using a different scenario. Instead of the SM-3 firing and then running out of energy because of the range, this is a situation where it doesn't fire at all:

Again, I have placed the USS LORENZEN between the DF-21 shooter and the target. The LORENZEN picks up the incoming DF-21 when they are roughly 700 miles away. The SM-3 also tracks the inbound missiles all the way. (I can manually fire the SM-3 with no problem, but I want to create this to be played using AI.) The SM-3 and LORENZEN track it the entire way without an issue, but it never automatically fires, despite it being GREEN for Manual fire the whole time. Finally, when it reaches about 275 miles away, the GREEN goes away and the message states that it can no longer fire because the interception point is below the minimum altitude.

Note: FYI, I did successfully fire the weapon manually during one test, so I do know that you can force it to fire.

Doug

Attachment (1)

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 3
RE: SM-3 IB petering out in ABM encounter - 4/12/2021 1:24:04 PM   
WSBot

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 4
RE: SM-3 IB petering out in ABM encounter - 4/13/2021 6:36:02 PM   
BDukes

quote:

ORIGINAL: BDukes

Ok to add to Doug's reporting.

It looks like when the DF-21B become Mirv'd the SM-3 salvo is dropped. At drop, the DF-21 RV is still above the SM-IIIB's minimum altitude. I'm not sure where they would be though at the actual point of interception. A dev would have to let us know if that's even calculated for (aka this would be understandable if the intercept not possible because the MIRV is under minimum altitude).

Mike

In V21 much better results. The missiles aren't dropped and successfully engage the DF-21's. SM-3 fuel does seem to run out but they make the intercepts. I'm happy.

Mike

(in reply to BDukes)
Post #: 5
RE: SM-3 IB petering out in ABM encounter - 4/14/2021 12:37:49 PM   
DWReese

I agree with Mike. This works much better, but the SM-3 does seem to be a little fuel deficient at the end. Sometimes it runs out of fuel. Generally, it works great now.

Doug

(in reply to BDukes)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [Logged] SM-3 IB petering out in ABM encounter Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI