Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Unexpected capitulation

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Unexpected capitulation Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Unexpected capitulation - 4/7/2021 2:55:48 PM   
wobbleguts

< Message edited by wobbleguts -- 4/7/2021 3:12:25 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Unexpected capitulation - 4/7/2021 3:08:12 PM   
Platoonist

Yeah, that message usually pops up not long after Russia throws in the towel. You don't have to say yes if you wish to keep on fighting.

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 2
RE: Unexpected capitulation - 4/7/2021 3:08:34 PM   
wobbleguts

quote:

ORIGINAL: wobbleguts

Hi,

Playing as Germany. I sliced up Europe/Balkans/Africa and the Middle East while paying diplomacy points to Russia and the USA to stop them doing a DOW. In the meantime I destroyed the bulk of the CW navy and then invaded Russia. Thanks to my strategic and tactical genius Russia collapsed quickly and surrendered - sweet.

My next concern was the US/UK and W Europe. Was expecting an invasion and started moving troops etc back from defeated Russia. This is a real pain. Some I can operate, most I can't. Did what I could and ended the turn when I got this jaw dropping message....

WOW! That was completely unexpected. What happened to unconditional surrender etc? Anyways, I have a choice to either end the game now or fight on. What would you do? Take it as a big win or risk the allied might?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by wobbleguts -- 4/7/2021 3:17:22 PM >

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 3
RE: Unexpected capitulation - 4/7/2021 3:17:28 PM   
Platoonist

If you reject this particular olive branch you can shift your forces in Russia west to France to fend off the inevitable Anglo-Allied invasion. Even without Russian help such an invasion can still be pretty potent given some of the advantages amphibious forces have in this game, such as being able to strike twice. Invading Persia or China and linking up with your Japanese friends is also in the cards.

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 4
RE: Unexpected capitulation - 4/9/2021 4:13:08 PM   
wobbleguts

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platoonist

If you reject this particular olive branch you can shift your forces in Russia west to France to fend off the inevitable Anglo-Allied invasion. Even without Russian help such an invasion can still be pretty potent given some of the advantages amphibious forces have in this game, such as being able to strike twice. Invading Persia or China and linking up with your Japanese friends is also in the cards.

I decided to play on and have spent the last few turns getting troops back to Germany and sending Garrison units the other way to Russia. Not fun and v boring. So to liven things up I invaded Finland and the remaining allied/Portuguese colonies in Africa. All done and dusted. Next step - detroy the anglo/american powers and steal all their stuff.

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 5
RE: Unexpected capitulation - 4/12/2021 1:24:15 PM   
wobbleguts

After thinking about it, I abandoned my plans for invading Ireland/UK straight away because it would have led to war with the USA. Instead, I sent a large fleet of AVL transports to India conquered it and stole all their poppadoms. My reasoning is that this will free up Jap forces to tie down the the US forces in the N Pacific.

Also, by prolonging the game it will help me practice some aspects of the game-play I haven't really used. Eg, while I know how to use SF units and transports, I've never really used paratroopers (because I kept forgetting the weather factor and gave up on them). I also haven't experimented with a large strategic bomber campaign.

So this time I have assembled a large strategic bomber force on the French Coast. My plan is to bomb the crap out of Britain until spring (it's November now) and then invade the UK with SF and paratroops to see what happens.

My conclusions on other factors of the game are as follows. Do you agree?

German rockets are not worth it. Invest in Strategic bombers instead.
Don't invest in anti tank warfare research. It only benefits dedicated anti tank units and they are useless.
Dedicated artillery units are useless as well.
Maritime bombers are incredibly powerful.
Medium bombers are a mystery. Get Tactical or Strategic bombers instead.

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 6
RE: Unexpected capitulation - 4/15/2021 1:34:11 PM   
wobbleguts

Disappointing end to the game. German forces took India, Australia, NZ and prepared for war against the US.

For some reason, although the UK had surrendered, there were heaps of US forces still based in the UK. Watched them slowly die from attrition and declared war on the US and Ireland when the weather was clear for Arial strikes etc. Destroyed all the US land/air/naval units in the UK, conquered Ireland, destroyed some of the US Atlantic fleet and a few of their Pacific ships. My plan was to continue destroying the US navy and occupy the the UK west indies. Followed by an invasion of Florida.

Couldn't do any of this because the game then stopped with an 'AXIS VICTORY' message. Shame.

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 7
RE: Unexpected capitulation - 4/15/2021 2:07:22 PM   
stormbringer3

What difficulty level did you use and in what month and year did that Withdrawal message happen?
Thanks.

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 8
RE: Unexpected capitulation - 4/15/2021 4:04:52 PM   
Hubert Cater

quote:

Disappointing end to the game. German forces took India, Australia, NZ and prepared for war against the US.

For some reason, although the UK had surrendered, there were heaps of US forces still based in the UK. Watched them slowly die from attrition and declared war on the US and Ireland when the weather was clear for Arial strikes etc. Destroyed all the US land/air/naval units in the UK, conquered Ireland, destroyed some of the US Atlantic fleet and a few of their Pacific ships. My plan was to continue destroying the US navy and occupy the the UK west indies. Followed by an invasion of Florida.

Couldn't do any of this because the game then stopped with an 'AXIS VICTORY' message. Shame.

Sounds like you reached the end game date that then popped up this message for you. If you have a save from just before you reached this point, you can navigate to OPTIONS->ADVANCED and then enable the 'Disable End Game Date' option which should then allow you to keep playing.

Alternatively, if you've reached an in game DECISIVE VICTORY condition, then the best way to avoid having that end your game is to navigate to OPTIONS->ADVANCED->SCRIPTS and disabling the applicable DECISIVE VICTORY scripts.

Hope this helps,
Hubert

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 9
RE: Unexpected capitulation - 4/16/2021 10:59:39 AM   
wobbleguts

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hubert Cater

quote:

Sounds like you reached the end game date that then popped up this message for you. If you have a save from just before you reached this point, you can navigate to OPTIONS->ADVANCED and then enable the 'Disable End Game Date' option which should then allow you to keep playing.

Alternatively, if you've reached an in game DECISIVE VICTORY condition, then the best way to avoid having that end your game is to navigate to OPTIONS->ADVANCED->SCRIPTS and disabling the applicable DECISIVE VICTORY scripts.

Hope this helps,
Hubert

Hi Hubert,

I had disabled the the end game date (always do so).

I just clicked the scenario I selected for this game and checked the victory conditions. The Axis had taken all the cities mentioned so I think that's why the game ended. The list of cities was surprising because it didn't include ANY in the US. Presumably when the CW empire/China has been conquered the US just give up and go back to isolationism.

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 10
RE: Unexpected capitulation - 4/16/2021 7:26:28 PM   
Hubert Cater

In this case you likely reached a DECISIVE victory which will kick in at any time once those decisive conditions have been met, e.g. it can end the game before the end date, so that option to 'play beyond the end date' will not apply.

To work around this, as suggested, try disabling the VICTORY conditions via the OPTIONS->ADVANCED->SCRIPTS screen.

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 11
RE: Unexpected capitulation - 4/18/2021 9:50:16 AM   
wobbleguts

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hubert Cater

In this case you likely reached a DECISIVE victory which will kick in at any time once those decisive conditions have been met, e.g. it can end the game before the end date, so that option to 'play beyond the end date' will not apply.

To work around this, as suggested, try disabling the VICTORY conditions via the OPTIONS->ADVANCED->SCRIPTS screen.

Have done so and started the game as Germany again.

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Unexpected capitulation Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI