Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

managing large front?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> managing large front? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
managing large front? - 4/6/2021 2:46:13 AM   
misterprimus

How do I manage a large/long front? What sorts of formations are best? Some MG and AT guns?
Post #: 1
RE: managing large front? - 4/6/2021 4:22:42 AM   
newageofpower

If on open ground, the real answer is to use Tanks. Break through and bulldoze trash enemy stacks into little pockets, then compact the garbage collapse the pockets next turn and annihilate them.

Covering a long front can be absurdly manpower/resource intensive and oft plain impractical. Just delete the enemy's units and they can't push your border anymore, duh.

< Message edited by newageofpower -- 4/6/2021 4:29:50 AM >

(in reply to misterprimus)
Post #: 2
RE: managing large front? - 4/6/2021 4:25:35 AM   
Twotribes

For defense use MGs or if a static front you don't expect to move much use auto turrets.

(in reply to newageofpower)
Post #: 3
RE: managing large front? - 4/6/2021 5:42:47 PM   
zgrssd

"The management of a large force is the same as the management of a small force - all a mater of the organisaiton" - Tsun Tzu

Some things to look up in the handbook for a idea about units
5.12.3.4. CalIbre modIfIer
5.12.3.5. weaPon tyPes versus armor tyPes matrIx
5.12.3.7. oPeratIonal stats, starting wiht "Attack Scores"

As a hard and fast rules:
all forms of infantry are there for defense.
If it only needs to defend, you can leave the job to infantry. Just make sure you have some MG, AT and AA weapons mixed in as nessesary. They are the cheap masses to hold the front with.

Meanwhile vehicles are there for attack. And particulary a light tank with 60mm howitzer and maximum armor can be incredibly deadly to infantry without AT weapons - even in hard terrain. Even the games onw predictions severely undervalue the callibre modifier.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 4/6/2021 5:44:13 PM >

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 4
RE: managing large front? - 4/6/2021 10:55:53 PM   
misterprimus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

For defense use MGs or if a static front you don't expect to move much use auto turrets.

Where do I get auto turrets? I assume these don't consume manpower? That's my problem currently: manpower shortages, so I basically can't have the front covered in infantry just because it eats up too much manpower and (eventually) food.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 5
RE: managing large front? - 4/6/2021 11:27:57 PM   
Soar_Slitherine

Auto-turrets are deep in the right-side branch of the tech tree. They require high-tech components to build, making them rather expensive, but they indeed don't require manpower. They used to be bad because being immobile led to them being killed upon suffering a retreat hit, but that was fixed in one of the recent patches.

(in reply to misterprimus)
Post #: 6
RE: managing large front? - 4/7/2021 12:10:35 AM   
zgrssd

To be more specific:
- automated Turrets and MG are late game Robotics Technology. Cost indeed 0 manpower, but need some Energy upkeep
- they can only be moved via strategic redeployment not he move oder. That also means can not initiate combat, only be in the way if attacked
- someone pointes out they always have ~250 Entrenchment, even if the terrain would normally not support more then 50. I could not fully confirm it yet
- Robots have a combat penalty, but only on attack. So they work perfectly for this role
- if you are the first Major Regime to get a unit into or near any free town or hex assets, you can find stuff - including Automated Defenses

Earlier, my advise to save manpower when you just wanting something to put on the front, used to be "Independant MG Batallion." 500 Manpower, still cheap gear, high defense.
"The thoughest thing in the game is a MG unit in Hihg Mountains."

However a recent Beta Patch saw Manpower for Vehicles changed and 60 Buggies only cost 200 Manpower now. But they also are a lot more expensive.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 4/7/2021 12:13:26 AM >

(in reply to Soar_Slitherine)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> managing large front? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI