To be more specific:
- automated Turrets and MG are late game Robotics Technology. Cost indeed 0 manpower, but need some Energy upkeep
- they can only be moved via strategic redeployment not he move oder. That also means can not initiate combat, only be in the way if attacked
- someone pointes out they always have ~250 Entrenchment, even if the terrain would normally not support more then 50. I could not fully confirm it yet
- Robots have a combat penalty, but only on attack. So they work perfectly for this role
- if you are the first Major Regime to get a unit into or near any free town or hex assets, you can find stuff - including Automated Defenses
Earlier, my advise to save manpower when you just wanting something to put on the front, used to be "Independant MG Batallion." 500 Manpower, still cheap gear, high defense.
"The thoughest thing in the game is a MG unit in Hihg Mountains."
However a recent Beta Patch saw Manpower for Vehicles changed and 60 Buggies only cost 200 Manpower now. But they also are a lot more expensive.
< Message edited by zgrssd -- 4/7/2021 12:13:26 AM >