Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Axis AI

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Axis AI Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Axis AI - 4/5/2021 6:20:09 PM   
Scarz

After a few short 41 campaign games as German (bogging down around turn 7-9) I decided to take the Soviets for a spin. I am on turn 8.

A couple things jumped out at me.

I know its difficult to make a good AI on the attack, but the German AI seems to be breaking down its divisions way too much. It is then launching attacks with single regiments, and losing, when it probably would have dislodged the defender with a single division attack.

The German AI has also not really tried to make any pockets since turn 1. On turn 8 I still have Russian divisions from the big Bialystok pocket fighting their way toward Mogilev. The AI could have cut them off, but never seemed to try.

Finally, it would be nice if the game centered the screen on the battles, it doesn't always seem to do that, and I don't get to see the location of the battle as its blocked by the AI turn box or the pop up battle box.

Just some thoughts, enjoying the game and good job to the developers.

Scarz

Post #: 1
RE: Axis AI - 4/5/2021 6:54:36 PM   
carlkay58

Try placing the Axis at 110 for all values. The AI has problems with the offensive but if you boost them to 110 you will get a more challenging game. The AI breaks down divisions a lot - but look at the AARs from the playtesters and you will see we all use a lot of regiments on the map. There are reasons for that - the primary is to control territory. Yes you should use divisions to attack with but you can't cover the front with divisions.

(in reply to Scarz)
Post #: 2
RE: Axis AI - 4/5/2021 7:12:07 PM   
Scarz

Thanks for the response. In old WitE1 I also broke down divisions as the German, mostly to close pockets or when on the defensive to cover more ground.

However, breaking them down in the early game seems a mistake for the AI. They don't reveal as much territory, and diverts combat power on the attack. Seems too early for it, and the lack of attempting pockets is odd, and the best use of breakdowns at this point in the game. The AI just seems to try and bulldoze its way along the major rail paths toward the east...

Yes, will definitely have to give the Germans increase to values next time.

(in reply to carlkay58)
Post #: 3
RE: Axis AI - 4/5/2021 7:37:50 PM   
Joel Billings

We recommend boosting the early war Axis AI as soon as you are familiar with the game. The reason is that it's harder to build a good attacker AI, and it's doubly hard to build a good attacking AI that has to use finesse and troop quality over one that can rely on numerical superiority. Since the latter is the German situation in early 41 it's going to need help to challenge anyone familiar with the game.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to Scarz)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Axis AI Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI