Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Engine Optimization and other GCV linear techs

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> Engine Optimization and other GCV linear techs Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Engine Optimization and other GCV linear techs - 4/1/2021 7:37:56 PM   
Pratapon51

It does bother me a little that Aircraft have so many linear techs while our bread-and-butter Ground Vehicles lack some of their broad options. Granted, they need the boons more, but hey.

Some ideas to this end :

Tracked Vehicle Optimization: Adds (TL/5) to the Engine Design Roll of any tracked vehicle.

Wheeled Vehicle Optimization: Adds (TL/5) to the Engine Design Roll of any wheeled vehicle.

Liquid Armor Composition: Lowers weight of Liquid Armor.

Edit : Made some changes to original proposal.

< Message edited by Pratapon51 -- 4/2/2021 11:09:32 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Conv. Engine Optimization and Alloy Framing Linear ... - 4/1/2021 9:20:53 PM   
zgrssd

The effective Engine power is used by the Movement Cost Modifier, and it is based on Rated Engine Power * Engine Design.
However it turns out that the engine size overall has a negligible impact on fuel consumption - unless it is a double or tripple engine. So currently there would be a doubtfull value of the first.

The 2nd also has irrelevant impact, as the Chassis weight is only Size * 10.
Wich is absolutely miniscule compared to Armor, gun and engine weight.

(in reply to Pratapon51)
Post #: 2
RE: Conv. Engine Optimization and Alloy Framing Linear ... - 4/2/2021 8:45:03 PM   
GuardsmanGary

Increasing effective engine power or reducing total weight (assuming the intent of the tech is provide significant weight savings and not, as zgrssd said, a pittance) has the same effect, except one of these options as presented has a downside while the other doesn't. Now I know the conventional small arms optimization tech says it increases ammo consumption in the tooltip but it it actually doesn't, so adding a negative downside to a linear tech would be out of place compared to the others.

Due to the way fuel consumption is calculated reducing the weight of the model by half would have pretty significant knock on effect on fuel use, so if there was a tech to reduce vehicle weight it would play double duty on reducing fuel consumption and thus competing with fuel efficiency for research priority. A 1200 weight heavy tank using a triple heavy diesel engine, without any fuel efficiency tech, consumes 34.4 oil per hex. If there was a tech to reduce total weight by half this tank would weigh only 600, allowing the design to use a double heavy diesel engine and thus reducing the fuel cost to 12.3 oil per hex. Comparatively 100% progress in fuel efficiency would reduce the original heavy tank to 11.4 fuel per hex. If both techs were applied it would cost this heavy tank 4.1 fuel per hex.

Then you also have to consider the direct relationship between weight and move modifier; a tech that reduced weight would be competing with your proposed engine power tech for improving the move modifier.

A way to increase effective engine power other than the engine design roll isn't a bad idea on its face, but having a tech that reduces ground vehicle weight steps on too many toes.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 3
RE: Conv. Engine Optimization and Alloy Framing Linear ... - 4/2/2021 10:53:54 PM   
Pratapon51

I suppose I didn't take that into account, but I guess one reason why I put in both is that I find it's easy to run out of viable options for my Applied Science guys to research. I'll rethink the suggestion a little bit, maybe make it more in-line with how the Aircraft linears work.

(in reply to GuardsmanGary)
Post #: 4
RE: Conv. Engine Optimization and Alloy Framing Linear ... - 4/3/2021 9:58:08 AM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pratapon51

I suppose I didn't take that into account, but I guess one reason why I put in both is that I find it's easy to run out of viable options for my Applied Science guys to research. I'll rethink the suggestion a little bit, maybe make it more in-line with how the Aircraft linears work.

Aircraft work markedly differently. But there are currently some bugs in the formula that seem to hide how it should work. Still this is how (I think) they shoudl work:
- fuel consumption at maximum range should be fixed, based on the fuel tank
- reducing fuel consumption should also inrease max range (given that the same fuel lasts longer), wich is propably the most important stat for aircraft

So they can get away with - or even need - weight reduction.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 4/3/2021 9:59:49 AM >

(in reply to Pratapon51)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> Engine Optimization and other GCV linear techs Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI