Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

USS Baltimore SC2 – Two Birds One Stone, 1983

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> After Action Report >> USS Baltimore SC2 – Two Birds One Stone, 1983 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
USS Baltimore SC2 – Two Birds One Stone, 1983 - 4/1/2021 6:10:29 PM   
KungPao

This is one of my favorite submarine scenario. I played it almost one year ago , back in 1147.7 version. I just got time recently to look back into the save files , screenshots and write an AAR.
Long story in short. WW III broke out, Soviets captured Iceland in a surprised attack. GUIK breached. USS Baltimore is the only NATO force in the area that can disrupt Soviets’ plan. Carrying 10 Harpoon and 12 MK48 Mod 4, she has two objectives: 1st , With Iceland captured, Soviets will send their submarines to explore this breakthrough. We are expecting dozen SSNs, SSGNs, SSs and SSGs on the way to North Atlantic. Baltimore will sink as many of submarine as she can find. 2nd , Baltimore has the honor to intercept a supply convey that is on the way to Iceland.
Threat analysis:
1, Soviets has the Air superior in the whole region, we should expect ASW A/C pose a high-level threat to USS Baltimore
2, While the Soviets submarines are in transit mode, some of the newer model like Victor III will conduct search & destroy mission. Some of the old generation submarine could use their active sonar to clear the way.
3, The supply convoy could consist of new generation DDG and ASW Helo.

At the beginning of the scenario, I ordered Baltimore transit to her battle station at Flank speed/Max depth. Occasionally slow down , searching for contact. At 12:00, Baltimore got into the battle position.

Zulu 13:09, Baltimore’s TA picked up first contact, another narrow band contact show up on TA at 1338. These two noisy contacts were quickly identified as Alfa class SSN. Although a reading on speed is not available, I estimated that they are at max speed by checking the location changes rate. It is possible these two are in a hurry to get into central Atlantic. So, I ordered Baltimore go above the layer, try to ambush these two Alfa at the same time.

However, I lost the signal from the second Alfa contact Sierra 19, so I decided to deal with Sierra 18 first then 2nd Alfa later.

Around 14:05, Baltimore fired two Torp at first Alfa contact Sierra 18. Torp impacted the Alfa at 14:09. Sent it to the bottom of Atlantic ocean (N74 13'27" E4 14'45"). Baltimore increased the speed to 15kts , to intercept the 2nd Alfa.
But the Sierra 19 had a lucky day, two MK48s run out of fuel 300m behind Sierra 19.

Well, with the sound of explosion from first Alfa and escape of the second Alfa, I guess Soviets know there is an SSN here. Time to move, 15kts, max depth.
It turns out to be a good decision, Soviets MPAs saturated the area with active sonobuoys.

< Message edited by KungPao -- 4/1/2021 6:32:18 PM >

Sir? Do you want to order a Kung Pao Chicken or a Kung Fu Chicken?
Post #: 1
RE: USS Baltimore SC2 – Two Birds One Stone, 1983 - 4/1/2021 6:19:25 PM   
KungPao

Baltimore detected a November class SSN at first CZ on 1812.

After a 4 hour maneuver, Baltimore got into fire position.

Two torp away, sank the November at 22:37 (N72 24’35”, E3 31’31”). I expect the counterattack from Soviet’s MPAs can happen anytime, so time to move again.

But this time I am not so lucky, guess Baltimore was picked up by passive sonobuoy /MAD. The first notice I got is a Torpedo in water message from sonar room.

Hunter becomes the hunted. In next two hours Baltimore zig-zag , try to get away. Guess no one like the feeling of being caged

Lucky for me, Baltimore survived. Soviets MPAs run low on fuel. This sector became quite again. Baltimore slow down to 5kts, change into a hunter mode again. At 0606, Baltimore detected another goblin contact, it was quickly identified as a Charlie II SSGN at 12kts.

Baltimore followed Charlie II, got into its baffles, sank it at 07:44 with two Mk48 (N71 51’33” , E4 53’48”)

Baltimore changed the heading, increased the speed to 15kt~20kt to avoid expected prosecution from air.

< Message edited by KungPao -- 4/1/2021 6:34:13 PM >

(in reply to KungPao)
Post #: 2
RE: USS Baltimore SC2 – Two Birds One Stone, 1983 - 4/1/2021 6:24:41 PM   
KungPao

At 1155, the sonar picked up another contact, it was identified as a Victor III, which looks like is hunting Baltimore. Baltimore changed the heading to avoid a collision course with Victor III.

At 1307, Baltimore got another contact above the layer. It is identified as a Charlie II SSGN. Baltimore dive to max depth, increased the speed to 20kt, began the chase that last almost one hour and half.

1452 , Mk48 hit Charlie II (N71 02’09”, E1 22’50”). With only two Mk48 left in torpedo room, I decided to change the mission to ASuW interception. Baltimore changed the course to northwest.

But in this target rich environment, surprise waiting for you. At 1555, Baltimore reduced the speed return back to above layer, trying to use TA to verify Soviets surface group’s position. Sonar picked up the Soviets surface group at first CZ, at the same time Baltimore also picked up a new goblin contact at close range. It is a Hotel II. With only two MK48 left, I decided to fire only one torp. I won the gamble , Hotel II was sank at 1613 (N71 16’19”, E0 43;43”). Baltimore changed the course and increased the speed again. Around 1700, Sonar picked a week Torp signal at 12nm away. It was circling around Baltimore’s pervious position around 1600.

< Message edited by KungPao -- 4/1/2021 6:34:48 PM >

(in reply to KungPao)
Post #: 3
RE: USS Baltimore SC2 – Two Birds One Stone, 1983 - 4/1/2021 6:31:11 PM   
KungPao

Baltimore changed the depth to shallow. Fired Harpoon at 1733. To achieve TOT, the first 4 Harpoons were heading towards west. Then turn to surface group at 20nm away. By the time the next 4 Harpoons were ready to fire.
These 8 missiles were aimed at the two cargo ship in the center of the formation so that it makes the Soviets DDGs hard to intercept the Harpoons.

Huge firework

Mission accomplishment , heading home while the Victor III is hunting for Baltimore.
USS Baltimore arrived exit zone on Sept 13th 09:00

(in reply to KungPao)
Post #: 4
RE: USS Baltimore SC2 – Two Birds One Stone, 1983 - 4/1/2021 6:36:36 PM   
KungPao

Final result

SIDE: NATO
===========================================================

LOSSES:
-------------------------------

EXPENDITURES:
------------------
11x Mk48 Mod 4
10x UGM-84A Harpoon IP

SIDE: USSR
===========================================================

LOSSES:
-------------------------------
1x Commercial Supply Vessel [6,000t DWT]
1x Commercial Tanker - General Purpose [20,000t DWT]
2x Ka-27PL Helix A
1x PB Ugra [Pr.1886.1]
1x PLA-627A November [Kit]
1x PLA-658S/U Hotel II
1x PLA-705K Alfa [Lira]
1x PLARK-670M Charlie II [Skat-M]
1x PLARK-670M Charlie II [Skat-M]

EXPENDITURES:
------------------
3x 57mm/70 Twin HE Burst [2 rnds]
1x APR-2 Orlan-M
1x AT-3 [UMGT-1 Orlan, NATO E40-79A]
8x Generic Acoustic Decoy
4x Generic Acoustic Decoy
616x RGB-15 [Refined Search, Passive Omni]
180x RGB-25 [Track, Passive Directional]
270x RGB-55A [Track, Active/Passive]
838x RGB-75 [Basic Search, Passive Omni]
195x RGB-NM-1 [Passive Omni]
15x SA-N-7 Gadfly [9M38]

(in reply to KungPao)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> After Action Report >> USS Baltimore SC2 – Two Birds One Stone, 1983 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI