Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

BMP scenario image issue, crash, Error #8

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Tech Support >> BMP scenario image issue, crash, Error #8 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
BMP scenario image issue, crash, Error #8 - 3/29/2021 6:42:21 PM   
TheJSFFenix

So as I'm messing around in the scenario editor, trying to create one, I ran into a very puzzling problem:

I made a scenario BMP image following Bob Cross instructions document from Manuals, made sure it's of the acceptable 295 x 298 size, and put it into the folder with the scenario. I did all of that about 5 months ago. Recently I've found another image that I thought could fit better, so I followed those instructions once again and made a 295x298 image with that green filter by multiplying the layers in GIMP. And now when I'm trying to select the scenario to see how the picture actually looks, the game gives me the following error then crashes:

There are not enough free system resources to continue the game. Your scenario will be saved if possible. Error #8 (scenario name).

So I backtracked and changed the picture to the old one from 5 months ago and everything works well, the scenario can be selected and ran, and it displays the scenario pic without any issues. I'm not sure at all what does this error even actually mean - the scenario isn't big at all in terms of complexity (doesn't even have 200 units in total on both sides, no events as of yet and the map is quite small). It does have its own .eqp file and recolored unit counters by .col file, but so do giants of FiTE and Directive 21 and yet they don't crash the game upon being picked from the menu (every scenario that comes with the game loads its own picture without any issues actually). My PC rig is definitely not an issue either when it comes to performance.

Was there some weird update in last 5 months that broke scenario .bmp pics or something? I'd really want to have a cool picture to my scenario when it's finally going to be ready, so all solutions would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT:

What fixed the issue for me was following SPzAbt653 instructions that he attached. For some reason repeating the same exact process in making the image in Paint instead of GIMP seems to have worked where before it failed. No idea how TOAW rolls sometimes.

What is of important note however is that the picture HAS TO BE saved in either 8-bit depth or 24-bit one, 32-bit will just crash the game.

Thanks to everybody who contributed, while I'm off to create my scenario!

< Message edited by TheJSFFenix -- 3/30/2021 10:39:15 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: BMP scenario image issue, crash, Error #8 - 3/29/2021 11:26:39 PM   
sPzAbt653

Is that the correct size? I think it's 287 x 268?

Change the name of the Image so that it won't be used, test it, then you will know that is the problem. Change the name back after the troubleshoot

This is a small point that often causes no problems, but it has been an issue to some: close out the Editor then Open TOAW and the Scenario, don't Open the Scenario from the Editor.

Attached are Paint.Net instructions.
EDIT: Instructions Edited to reflect the below findings.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sPzAbt653 -- 3/31/2021 4:17:20 AM >

(in reply to TheJSFFenix)
Post #: 2
RE: BMP scenario image issue, crash, Error #8 - 3/29/2021 11:38:39 PM   
TheJSFFenix

I have already done all those steps, I used the guide that Bob wrote and that's in the manuals folder. It states there that the allowed resolution is 295x298.

The scenario opens without any problem with another .bmp picture that's also 295x298 and was made the same way. It also opens without any issues if it has no image at all. I did check for it before I made this post so I know for 101% that the image is the issue here.

I didn't open the scenario from the editor, I tried several times to open it by simply launching the game (had to, because the game crashes every time back to desktop), picking the folder and trying to scroll or click the scenario. Every time it gave me the error I wrote above.

I just don't know what the problem is.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 3
RE: BMP scenario image issue, crash, Error #8 - 3/30/2021 2:48:47 AM   
Lobster

Perhaps the image is corrupted. Did you try creating it again to see if that works? Did you create the .bmp from a different file format? Maybe the software you used to change from one format to another has caused a problem of some kind.

Once you reach ten posts embed it in a post. At this point we are shooting in the dark.

< Message edited by Lobster -- 3/30/2021 2:51:44 AM >

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Wearing blinders and earplugs everything you do is correct.

Post #: 4
RE: BMP scenario image issue, crash, Error #8 - 3/30/2021 8:40:31 AM   
nepos2

Hello!

I had a similar problem and found that the bmp had to be saved as 24-bit.

Regards,
Henrik

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 5
RE: BMP scenario image issue, crash, Error #8 - 3/30/2021 10:35:42 AM   
TheJSFFenix

Sorry for my dismissive reply yesterday. I have done the process all over again in the GIMP and the result was the exact same, so I decided to try your instructions in paint. Somehow, despite doing the exact same thing it worked! Thanks for your advice.

The only thing I did differently this time was to save it in 24-bit color depth as opposed to 32 that I did before. I once changed that in the GIMP when saving the BMP and it didn't work then, but now somehow when saving with Paint, it does. I have absolutely NO idea how it worked now and didn't work before, but I guess I'll take it.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 6
RE: BMP scenario image issue, crash, Error #8 - 3/30/2021 10:38:14 AM   
Lobster

Good news.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Wearing blinders and earplugs everything you do is correct.

Post #: 7
RE: BMP scenario image issue, crash, Error #8 - 3/31/2021 4:13:27 AM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

ORIGINAL: nepos2
Hello!
I had a similar problem and found that the bmp had to be saved as 24-bit.
Regards,
Henrik

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that, I'll have to add a note to those instructions

(in reply to nepos2)
Post #: 8
RE: BMP scenario image issue, crash, Error #8 - 3/31/2021 4:20:03 AM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

Sorry for my dismissive reply yesterday.

No worries at all, I[we] know how frustrating this kind of stuff is. In the end we can get it solved and move on to more fun!

Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Tech Support >> BMP scenario image issue, crash, Error #8 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI