From: Vermont, USA
The original 1.00 release had issues on high (4k) resolution systems. It was incorrectly scaling only fonts, which could result in offset text and also low memory crashes.
With 1.00.07 and later, the crashes are resolved as is the offset text. However, in 1.00/1.02 for later Windows 10 systems we were also using System scaling. Without that, while things are sharper, they may look too small on 4k screens.
With 1.01.02, the first iteration of in-application scaling is available to customers.
While we are working to complete the full in-game application scaling, in the meantime there are several options to try to see what gives you the best results.
Currently the game is built with a "DPI aware" manifest, so no override means that windows gives control to the application by default.
Starting with 1.00.04 and later :
1. If the High DPI Scaling Override is unchecked - all scaling is done by application (small but clear and sharp)
2. If the High DPI Scaling Override set to Application - all scaling is done by application (small but clear and sharp)
3. If the High DPI Scaling Override set to System or System (enhanced) - scaling done by OS (big but can be less clear on some systems and monitors)
As of 1.01.02 and later, there is in-application scaling for the map and all the screens to give a "big and clear and sharp" option as well. The application scaling percentage on first launch auto-detects the best setting for your system, but can be adjusted in the in-game preferences.
Your options for adjusting scaling are as follows:
1. Leave the settings at the default for Application control and use the in-game preferences to adjust scaling (We strongly recommend this for 1.01.02 and later updates)
2. Try the "System" or "System (Enhanced)" setting. This gives total control to Windows and as a result you are loosing sharpness, but it gives you bigger fonts/art. You can set this using the following steps to match the image below. We do not recommend this for 1.01.02 and later, but it may be helpful for some, especially with earlier versions (we recommend you update instead though!).
- Open your WITE2 installation folder
- Left click once to select the WarInTheEast2 Application file.
- Right click on the WarInTheEast2 Application file in that folder.
- Select Properties from the pop-up menu
- Left-click once on the Compatibility Tab
- Left-click once on the Change high DPI Settings button (as seen below)
- Change the settings you see to match the below, then click ok to close these windows and launch the game normally.
(If you need to undo this, repeat the steps above, but uncheck the boxes you see checked below before you click ok)
3. Use 3rd party apps, ex. ZoomIt
See the first post for a link to ZoomIt.
We are continuing to work on engine changes to improve player experience on high DPI settings, without any need for OS or 3rd party scaling. You can see this in 1.01.02 and later, but it is not an easy task and not all interface parts are easily adjustable.
We still need to allow the in-application scaling to adjust the right side unit bar and possibly the top button bar. Those will be added to the scaling as time allows. If you try 1.01.02 and later and find the in-application scaling does not work for you, or that having the right bar and top bar unscaled is not acceptable for you, please let us know and use options 2 and 3 above to re-adjust the scaling to your system-controlled scaling preference.
< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 7/23/2021 3:49:24 PM >