Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

net play?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> net play? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
net play? - 3/29/2021 4:25:51 PM   
generalfdog

Maybe a dumb question but i don't see anything about it here, how do you do net play?
Post #: 1
RE: net play? - 3/29/2021 7:21:32 PM   
michaelbaldur

quote:

ORIGINAL: generalfdog

Maybe a dumb question but i don't see anything about it here, how do you do net play?

you find some friends, and setup a netplay game. could not be more simple

the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com

(in reply to generalfdog)
Post #: 2
RE: net play? - 3/30/2021 6:45:41 AM   
juntoalmar

TBH, I tried a couple of weeks ago with a friend and nothing worked for us (sorry, I don't remember the details), so we went PBEM.

We will try again and ask questions if needed.

(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/

(in reply to michaelbaldur)
Post #: 3
RE: net play? - 3/31/2021 2:58:03 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

When you set up the game you choose Netplay and you must ensure the player names match your Netplay log-in names. (If you haven't both set those up by logging into the Private WiF NetPlay Forum server then it is indeed not simple at all.)

Then when you start the game, you will automatically be logged into the Netplay forum. Once your opponent logs into the Netplay forum, he will be informed there is a game waiting for him to join.

Subsequent sessions work similarly except either player can open a Netplay game save and then ask their opponent to log into the forum. You both do not have to open the game save, only one of you.

This implies another mode of communication between players to coordinate things. It could be Skype or one of the many like it, or it could be text messages, or even just an email agreement to start a game at a certain time.

Paul

Post #: 4
RE: net play? - 3/31/2021 10:10:19 AM   
Joseignacio

quote:

With a lot of pain

Post #: 5
RE: net play? - 4/1/2021 2:31:03 AM   
gw15

Netplay works very well if you follow Paul's instructions.

(in reply to Joseignacio)
Post #: 6
RE: net play? - 4/1/2021 5:50:15 PM   
Joseignacio

I beg to dissent.

(in reply to gw15)
Post #: 7
RE: net play? - 4/1/2021 7:25:21 PM   
Centuur

Gerry and I just found the first game stopping bug in netplay in a long, long time. It's running quite well for version 4.2.2.0.

But I agree that you need to be careful. Especially during naval combat, it's advisable to make a manually game save between each navel combat. That's the weakest point of the game.
And it's also advisable to do the end of turn phases (from the moment the turn ends until the start of the first impulse of the following turn) in one go, without reloading.

We use Skype for pleasant conversations about the game. And we are having fun...

Peter

(in reply to Joseignacio)
Post #: 8
RE: net play? - 4/1/2021 7:41:47 PM   
rkr1958

Personally I've found that "PBEM" play using a messaging app such as WhatsApp, Google Hangouts, Facebook works quite well. And, "PBEM" play this way easily supports more than 2 players.

My recommendation (again personal) is to skip the Netplay and play PBEM. For a real example of how easily it plays this way check out: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4939462

FYI: I'm currently in a 3-player PBEM game using both WhatsApp and Google Hangouts.

Ronnie

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> net play? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI