Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: 'We got five years..5 years what a surprise' NO STJEAND

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> AAR >> RE: 'We got five years..5 years what a surprise' NO STJEAND Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 'We got five years..5 years what a surprise' NO STJ... - 4/4/2021 11:27:04 AM   
sillyflower

Jan and Feb '41

The only combat was 31 Jan when 3 more uboats died whist achieving nothing.

Apropos the need to build US MM's, it's virtually impossible. I can only build 1 set before getting 'not enough shipyards'. Maybe I can start on another when the BB launches in May.

Hordes of orcs mass on the Soviet border

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 31
RE: 'We got five years..5 years what a surprise' NO STJ... - 4/4/2021 1:49:29 PM   
sillyflower

March '41
was equally dull. Not a single combat - tho' I suppose that is a bit of relief for the SU these days.

Russia facing a huge Wehrmacht - almost 1700 pts in total tho' not all facing east. Going to be very hard going especially with their very high exp. levels and mine are (censored- this is a family friendly forum)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 4/4/2021 1:56:07 PM >

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Post #: 32
RE: 'We got five years..5 years what a surprise' NO STJ... - 4/4/2021 3:39:02 PM   
Flaviusx

Gotta build shipyards with the USA, true even in 39 let alone the 40 scenario. 10 minimum imo. You really need about 150 merchants with the USA to handle their own needs plus maximum lend lease to the Soviets.

Plainly you are going to get hit with an early Barbarossa, probably even regardless of the weather. Good luck. Not sure the Soviets can stand up to this very well with the present game rules. It was already a tall order beforehand.

WitE Alpha Tester

Post #: 33
RE: 'We got five years..5 years what a surprise' NO STJ... - 4/4/2021 11:11:43 PM   
sillyflower

April

No Barbarossa Phew!

web exchange

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 34
RE: 'We got five years..5 years what a surprise' NO STJ... - 4/5/2021 5:30:27 PM   
sillyflower

May 9

Still no Barbarossa despite the N. European weather (almost all of western Russia) was clear. This is not like my opponent at all. Gott mit uns not the nazis. Small withdrawals from the front lines by some exposed, good quality units. 1 or 2 replaced by rubbish in the role of speed bumps.

The only reason I can think of is that my opponent is worried by a potential oil shortage.

web exchange

Post #: 35
RE: 'We got five years..5 years what a surprise' NO STJ... - 4/5/2021 7:01:08 PM   
Flaviusx

His oil should be topped off by now based on what I'm seeing here. He has hardly been using it since France fell.

Thank your lucky stars.

WitE Alpha Tester

Post #: 36
RE: 'We got five years..5 years what a surprise' NO STJ... - 4/5/2021 10:02:37 PM   
sillyflower

May 23

Some of my stars are lucky. First and foremost - no Barbarossa despite clear in north moderate again. If it's not the oil, I haven't a clue.
Of minor importance, 6 uboats hit for the loss of 4 MMs. This leaves me with only 200 excess UK MMs. With the launching of the US BB, 30 more US MMs have been ordered so I will be up to 89 when US enters the war. This is also the same number US gets in '39.

Bit of a shambles off N Africa where 2 UK inf xxx landed 1 either side of Algiers to try to take some pressure off Russia.. For some reason 1 of them landed without any MPs even though both had only come from Gibraltar. As a result, 1 xxx was unable to kick the French out despite massed naval bombardment and 4 carriers each flying 2 ground missions to soften up the defences. To make it worse, the Italian subs actually did 8 pts damage on my CAs and DDs whose job was to soak up their interdiction. I need to do better next turn. Landing the inf xx was a mistake - it should have been used to take Oran.

Attachment (1)

web exchange

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 37
RE: 'We got five years..5 years what a surprise' NO STJ... - 4/6/2021 4:15:07 PM   
sillyflower

6 June. Clear weather in every hex on the map, but no Barbarossa. Ultra intercepts discover German units moving away from the Russian border, and seemingly heading for North Africa. It look that the Rodina will be safe until spring '42 thanks to the attack on Algiers.

The test of the'40 scenario now becomes a test of a '42 Barbarossa too.

In NA, continuing naval gunfire and carrier support enabled Algiers to be taken quickly. Weirdly, the inf xxx that landed with no OPs left now has 6, so is able to head east to defend from arriving Nazi armour. The race is on to recapture Oran from the Italians.If I take that, the German who now occupy the ports on the west side of NA should have supply problems.

The screenshot was taken before the WDF, a canadian xxx, fighters and bombers landed at Algiers -though I thought that they could not do that the same turn the port was captured.Equally odd, the carriers just outside Algiers sank 2 german MM in their turn- though I have no idea how they got there. Please don't tell me that they were on the way via the Straits of Gib to supply the G troops landing south west of Gib!

I may have to bug out of NA if too many baddies come but, come what may, stoping Barbarossa will have been worthwhile. The Axis will be bigger next year, but they won't have much more fuel and the allies will all be bigger too.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 4/6/2021 4:37:18 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 38
RE: 'We got five years..5 years what a surprise' NO STJ... - 4/6/2021 5:02:57 PM   
Flaviusx

I am thinking he never intended to do Barbarossa in the first place, otherwise he would have started it before you tried NA. But the strat here seems very poor to me. He will waste this year screwing around the Med without it leading to any decisive results, and despite with Alvaro thinks, a 42 Barbarossa remains not especially attractive. The Soviets will be too strong given another year to build up. Delaying the mech op and reducing the effectiveness doesn't really make much difference in 1942. What matters is having a full extra year of production. The 42 Barbarossa is never going to be as good.

WitE Alpha Tester

Post #: 39
RE: 'We got five years..5 years what a surprise' NO STJ... - 4/6/2021 6:03:59 PM   
sillyflower

Flavius, that was a logical thought but my NA attack was well-signaled in advance by pre-placing the Royal Navy in 4 stacks to enable it to bomb/bombard twice. Due to rain, the 1st time I did this, they all had to return to Gib to refuel. As the whole point was to suck troops away from Barbarossa, secrecy was not even helpful. The axis-held Med ports were full of Nazis before I actually invaded.

Back to the fortnightly Russian inf xxx build. I faced 2 or 3 '42 Barbarossas under earlier versions and they weren't much good.

web exchange

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 40
RE: 'We got five years..5 years what a surprise' NO STJ... - 4/7/2021 9:57:48 AM   
sillyflower

Apologies but there is a bit of a gap as I was doing quick turns and totally forgot to write note. or take photos.

The unforgivable mistake I made with the landings was to land a xx near Algiers in case it was needed there next turn, instead of at Oran.

Anyway I brought in reinforcements and did take Oran 2 tuns later after the surrounded Italian xxx there surrendered. At the same time I was evacuating what I could out of Algiers. I did the same from Oran as 4 pz xxx were heading my way. The expedition cost 3 inf xxx I think + 1 a/c overrun. The price of saving the USSR..............

Out at sea, the RN and KM traded quite heavy losses, which was fine by me. The 2 pt canadian DD in Iceland took a tremendous toll before it was sunk -taking out 11 enemy steps inc. sinking a CL/DD group. A wolf-pack must have been in fleet mode because surface ships sank one and got 1 more hit on the other.

The LW spends its time bombing the UK. the 2 ftr units there were overwhelmed but others are on the way back, and AA guns have been ordered. Vichy France is no more and several G units seen near the Spanish border. It is not known if this is an offensive posture, or due to rumours of an allied invasion of the Iberian peninsular.

In the meantime, Stalin finds the whole thing highly amusing.

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 4/7/2021 10:03:30 AM >

web exchange

Post #: 41
RE: 'We got five years..5 years what a surprise' NO STJ... - 4/7/2021 12:16:34 PM   
sillyflower

June 6 forces forces

Apologies for lateness, but I'm glad this G army is not doing very much.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 4/7/2021 12:18:51 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 42
RE: 'We got five years..5 years what a surprise' NO STJ... - 4/7/2021 12:23:31 PM   
sillyflower

And by August 15

UK land forces have increased despite NA losses, mainly due to more armour rolling off the production lines. RN up slightly as Vichy covers RN losses in the BOA. Kreigsmarine now much weaker tho'.

HUGE Wehrmacht - I wonder if Germany has reached its logistic limit. Cannot be very far off. I think LW still only has 10 units. RAF has taken losses, but more are on the way. Soviets only have just over 400 more logistic pts to spend.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 4/7/2021 12:32:10 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 43
RE: 'We got five years..5 years what a surprise' NO STJ... - 4/7/2021 12:50:51 PM   
Flaviusx

Germans can get well over 2k land strength without hitting their logistic limit and their air and naval forces are not especially large here, either. He could reach 2.5k by 42. Maybe that is his plan, take out Iberia and Gibraltar and hold. I can hardly believe he will make much headway in the east in 42.

WitE Alpha Tester

Post #: 44
RE: 'We got five years..5 years what a surprise' NO STJ... - 4/7/2021 2:50:50 PM   
sillyflower

Sept 12

I would certainly take out Iberia and Gib, but no sign of it at the moment

Attachment (1)

web exchange

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 45
RE: 'We got five years..5 years what a surprise' NO STJ... - 4/7/2021 2:52:16 PM   
sillyflower

I thought someone might be vaguely interested in my build queues

UK

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 4/7/2021 2:53:10 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 46
RE: 'We got five years..5 years what a surprise' NO STJ... - 4/7/2021 2:53:53 PM   
sillyflower

US

Attachment (1)

web exchange

Post #: 47
RE: 'We got five years..5 years what a surprise' NO STJ... - 4/7/2021 2:55:07 PM   
sillyflower

USSR

The 2 armour may be a bit of a luxury, but hopefully they will be useful one day. The para might be a bit of an unexpected treat for some weak fascists without much of a retreat path, and out of fighter range! As my opponent doesn't seem to have enlarged the LW, there will be gaps and he can't leave the west without cover. I will probably upgrade 2 or 3 R ftrs to cope with allied ftrs who might otherwise want to shoot down my paras.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 4/7/2021 3:04:01 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 48
RE: 'We got five years..5 years what a surprise' NO STJ... - 4/7/2021 6:34:31 PM   
Flaviusx

I think it is fine to add a couple of mobile units, and would even consider building a second airborne so you can do up to two drops and take advantage of the prebuilt air transports. Heck, maybe add a couple of fighters. They are pretty cheap under the circumstances.

Maybe build some amphibs, too. Just to have the ability on hand if he is sloppy with port security.

Soviets can afford to buy some of these luxury items in a 42 Barbarossa.

< Message edited by Flaviusx -- 4/7/2021 6:36:07 PM >

WitE Alpha Tester

Post #: 49
RE: 'We got five years..5 years what a surprise' NO STJ... - 4/7/2021 10:05:26 PM   
sillyflower

I certainly want enough good fighters to try to stop his para lurking in Finland v. close to L'town. This is the 3rd time I've played him and he's always good with port security - and it's not as if he doesn't have enough inf! I'm still in mourning the nerf that prevents me from taking Ploesti out for 2 turns with a 10 pt cav - tho' Alvaro was right to make that change.

web exchange

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 50
RE: 'We got five years..5 years what a surprise' NO STJ... - 4/7/2021 10:24:41 PM   
sillyflower

Sept. 26 and Oct 10

Nothing happening so clearly he is not going to attack anywhere before next year. He's stopped bombing UK cities and just tries to increase bomber experience by bombing a couple of vulnerable inf units. No naval forces emerge from hiding.

UK focusing on air unit repair and upgrading carriers to '41 tech and inf to '41 too. No other naval improvements/rebuilding needed.

Russians building 1 inf xxx/turn and upgrading the non-rubbish armour and inf to '41 tech. Given low LW strength, I should probably improve more of the AF. Only a couple of ftrs so far. The AF does have to fight because of the need to improve exp levels required for offensive ops.

web exchange

Post #: 51
RE: 'We got five years..5 years what a surprise' NO STJ... - 4/8/2021 8:26:16 AM   
sillyflower

October 24

Nazis ground and air forces mass on the border with the peace-loving USSR. All bombing of UK has stopped so AA guns will be transferred to Malta next turn as that is starting to experience weak ground bombing from the Italians.

Having looked at my PP numbers between now and the spring, I've decided to upgrade all the soviet airforce to current tech ('41) which will cost fewr that 600 PPs Inc. this turn, and assuming no increases, I will get another 3,270 PPs by end of April '42. As a result I've agree with Flavius' ideas and have bought another fighter, a 2nd airborne xxx and 40 landing ships. I also ordered another MM to help the US LL effort. At least, I hope the russian ships will carry US LL and not that from Uk, as the latter still has about 200 spare MMs and the BOA is over.

Doing all this will leave me with about 3K PP for the SU, but I only have 215 logistic points to spend, and I will need these for buying armies. I think I get them in May in any event, unless that has changed with the armour nerf. Hopefully, this cushion will reduce the initial need for LL as the US in particular is well behind the curve in terms of expansion. I've only been able to buy 1 tank xxx so far though I will have enough for a strat bomber in November.

web exchange

Post #: 52
RE: 'We got five years..5 years what a surprise' NO STJ... - 4/8/2021 2:17:28 PM   
sillyflower

November '41.

Nothing happened this month. not even any more G units appearing on the forces register, and I've almost forgotten what a sub looks like. 2 AA guns in Malta might stop the weak bombing attacks by Italians wanting to get more experience.

web exchange

Post #: 53
RE: 'We got five years..5 years what a surprise' NO STJ... - 4/8/2021 9:52:05 PM   
sillyflower

December 5 - nothing. Curse those Japs for not doing Pearl Harbour a few day's earlier

Dec 19 The Yanks are coming. Combined allied production leaps to 868/turn. US mech xxx ordered. UK focusing on updates.

Even a little action as uboats in the African coast route sink 2 MMs and 1 escort for the loss of 3 subs. Admiral Raeder must have been given another unit as force chart showed 5 more naval factors. Also 2 more LW units have appeared. Presumably fighters.

The state of research is still behind the 'normal' but closer to 'history': at least for the tech actually researched. Starting with UK:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 4/8/2021 9:55:54 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 54
RE: 'We got five years..5 years what a surprise' NO STJ... - 4/8/2021 9:53:15 PM   
sillyflower

US

Attachment (1)

web exchange

Post #: 55
RE: 'We got five years..5 years what a surprise' NO STJ... - 4/8/2021 9:54:03 PM   
sillyflower

USSR

Attachment (1)

web exchange

Post #: 56
RE: 'We got five years..5 years what a surprise' NO STJ... - 4/9/2021 2:41:52 PM   
sillyflower

January '42

I post the end of year casualty list with slight embarrassment. Clearly too much fraternising at the front and not enough fisticuffs.

I suspect that Stsauron will regret doing neither Barbarossa nor the Iberian peninsula and Gib. Still, he has a huge army so will be able to reinforce anywhere the western allies may go. My predictions are that the end of '42 will end up with stalemate somewhere in Russia and somewhere in the west. The UK is stronger than normal thanks to the absence of need to invest in the BOA, and the paucity of its losses. The US won't be very strong until '43, by which time russian experience levels will hopefully be high enough to be able to wrest the initiative.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 4/9/2021 3:01:45 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 57
RE: 'We got five years..5 years what a surprise' NO STJ... - 4/10/2021 7:35:33 AM   
sillyflower

Jan '42 con't

I can now build inf armies - I had thought that that was not until May. I start buying them, but will soon run out of logistic points because they are 36 points each. UK buys a mountain xxx.

web exchange

Post #: 58
RE: 'We got five years..5 years what a surprise' NO STJ... - 4/10/2021 2:05:03 PM   
sillyflower

February 13

Very little to report.

There has been a little air action over France for the last 2 turns. Lille reduced to rubble (for now) and air losses to all intents and purposes equal. Given that G production will be only about 460 (no Norway, Greece, Russia or Lille) and allies will be adding 108 (axis figures based on production at start of '42 scenario) that totals only 2/3rd of allied production. Equal losses are therefore a good allied win.

web exchange

Post #: 59
RE: 'We got five years..5 years what a surprise' NO STJ... - 4/10/2021 3:39:18 PM   
ComadrejaKorp

quote:

Combined allied production leaps to 868/turn

I think the weight of Allied production will eventually crush the Axis, it's just a matter of time.

The Axis could make Europe a fortress but it would lose the game on points.

The only option for Axis would be to crush Russia but that will be difficult in 42, now they have the help of the Allies.

I think you have the game almost won, but you should play it I'm sure Stjean won't give up so easily!

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> AAR >> RE: 'We got five years..5 years what a surprise' NO STJEAND Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI