Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Your old boyfriend (girlfriend for you blokes) I'm actually talking wargame

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Your old boyfriend (girlfriend for you blokes) I'm actually talking wargame Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Your old boyfriend (girlfriend for you blokes) I'm actu... - 3/29/2021 12:55:08 AM   
MrsWargamer

So, it's been a while. Ok, years I suppose.

I haven't wargamed much in a long time. So, I can make the analogy, that I might have just met an old boyfriend (wargame).

We all have wargames in our past, that are more distinct than others in our past.
For me, Squad Leader and Third Reich made more difference than the others.
Steel Panthers was my defining computer wargame.
I put a lot of effort into Strategic Command as well.

One that had a large impact on me though, but then 'moved away" so to speak, was the Panther Games titles beginning with Highway to the Reich.
I'm a very definite hex using turn-based gamer, and usually either squad level, or strategic. Not as much operational although I sure have played a lot of designs at that level.

I was so impressed with the command realism of Highway to the Reich when it first appeared. Totally unlike more cliche RTS titles to the point, I avoided calling it RTS as the acronym was rarely spoken of in a friendly fashion by me.

I was just watching a play-through video of the more current Command Ops via the core design's free offering.
And it is in a lot of ways, my dream game to replace Panzer Leader. Panzer Leader is one of my great loves as a board game. It's why I like Steel Panthers 3 Brigade Combat. But Command Ops is like SP3, but more realism in command.

Graphically, the game is 'plain', and that is just fine by me. Excessive graphics in TV-like mode would simply overwhelm my senses and detract from the real point of the game. It looks very 'credible' to my eyes.

There are a LOT of good games out there. But simply try too hard. Some try to little. And some make you wonder what it is they are trying to do in the first place.

I tried diving into Tigers on the Hunt as well today. That's gotta be the most uninviting design I can think of, where I really want to get into it, and yet the game does nothing to grab my interest. I've had dates like that too. The guy looks nice, has a great job, has the same interests, but when he shows up, he won't talk much, seems to expect me to do everything, and almost seems like an introverted disaster. "Am I your first date ever?" Total opposite of what Command Ops is.

I'm really hoping a couple of recent purchases pan out.
I'm really digging this one title in developement.
And I might end up being stolen by Command Ops :)

Hey guys, if you snooze, you lose eh.
You can usually only play one game at a time.

Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
Post #: 1
RE: Your old boyfriend (girlfriend for you blokes) I'm ... - 3/29/2021 3:21:42 AM   
Eambar

Command Ops 2 is a great game. Huge variety of battles, right amount of detail, and once you get the hang of issuing orders to your AI subordinates and watching your plan play out, it is very engaging.

As well as the official North African, Mediterranean and West Front scenarios, there are user made scenarios covering East Front, including a multi-divisional assault on a section of Stalingrad.

I would definitely ask it out!

Cheers

(in reply to MrsWargamer)
Post #: 2
RE: Your old boyfriend (girlfriend for you blokes) I'm ... - 3/29/2021 3:54:43 PM   
MrsWargamer

As much as I want to dive right into Command Ops anew, I woke today, and well, some days I feel like a tactical genius, but, today isn't one of them :)

This looks like it will be a day to mindlessly assemble models of tanks, something that no longer requires any brains for me (too many decades of doing it all the time).

Maybe tomorrow.

But today it's Stargate SG1 and 72nd scale models.

Post #: 3
RE: Your old boyfriend (girlfriend for you blokes) I'm ... - 3/29/2021 6:40:47 PM   
wodin

Great game however I prefer the first UI to CO2 UI. Also what happened to dismounted ops and East front?

Post #: 4
RE: Your old boyfriend (girlfriend for you blokes) I'm ... - 3/29/2021 7:06:16 PM   
ncc1701e

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

But today it's Stargate SG1 and 72nd scale models.

Attachment (1)

Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

Post #: 5
RE: Your old boyfriend (girlfriend for you blokes) I'm ... - 3/29/2021 9:23:47 PM   
MrsWargamer

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Great game however I prefer the first UI to CO2 UI. Also what happened to dismounted ops and East front?

Bizarre is how I used the video, to understand the new interface, so I could get a refresher on the old interface, so that I might not need to buy the new game immediately.

I'm guessing most of the value of the new versions are additional scenario content and improvements under the hood which might not be easily apparent.

Either way, I like a game where you can understand the interface on a low energy day.

It's a good game, but, it's kinda mostly Market Garden and the Bulge for now. I guess I've gotten spoiled by devs that have content from every event of merit during the war :) Steel Panthers is hard to beat. They can't all be John Tillers.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 6
RE: Your old boyfriend (girlfriend for you blokes) I'm ... - 3/30/2021 12:46:49 AM   
Eambar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grognerd_INC

Actually I have focused most of my play time on the Greek campaign, some very interesting scenarios there. I've played a few scenarios from the Bulge and Marketgarden and a few from North Africa, Crete and Malta. Have not touched the West Wall yet.

Similar, I have also focussed more on the Greece, Crete and North Africa scenarios. A couple of Market Garden. It's an excellent engine for these small unit actions.

For east front, there is the Stalingrad user made scenario as I mention above and a couple of Korsun Pocket related scenarios. The planned east front is Russia vs Japan, so if you want the classic east front Russia vs Germany, then the user made scenarios are the way to go.

Cheers

Post #: 7
RE: Your old boyfriend (girlfriend for you blokes) I'm ... - 3/30/2021 12:52:10 AM   
MrsWargamer

Weeeeeeell how about that.

That introverted doofus Tigers on the Hunt has some good YouTube videos available. They ain't recent though.
I read the manual a while, not much satisfaction, it's the end of the thing where you actually get useful info. Then I encountered a video (helps to search the game name on YouTube of course) from Matrix Games back in 2016. A reasonable gameplay video. One video is worth more than a free colour print out of that manual. Amazing how much easier it is to fathom the interface while watching someone actually using it.

I recall being soooo happy to see the game arrive. Chatted plenty enough leading up to the release. Then after getting it, thinking, who the blazes created this interface? Intuitive it ain't.
I mean, it really looks like my dear Squad Leader. I WANT to like this game, really I do. It's got what I really want. Looks like Squad Leader. Plays mostly like Squad Leader. The AI didn't seem to dumb judging by the performance in the video. The human got plenty trashed. I'd rather lose 3 out of 5 games and have a ball trying hard to win, rather than the usual AI that's more like kicking a puppy.

I'm happy as the evening closes in here. I'm reconnecting with some of my older purchases slowly.

Next up, I'm going to see if that cosmetically challenged old fart Campaign Series to get with the program (so to speak).
I never really got enough out of that one either.

Post #: 8
RE: Your old boyfriend (girlfriend for you blokes) I'm ... - 3/30/2021 9:12:56 AM   
RFalvo69

I, too, was excited by Tigers on the Hunt until I smashed against that convoluted UI

Unfortunately, the developer got sick shortly after the launch and they couldn't work more on the game. I don't see, however, how they could have fixed the UI without a ground-up redesign.

The Campaign Series is perfectly fine even today. Truly an evergreen.

The next game I'll try to put my head in is Armored Brigade. I have it along with the DLCs, but I played it very little. It is one of those games I keep in reserve for a rainy day.

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Your old boyfriend (girlfriend for you blokes) I'm actually talking wargame Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI