Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

slow research - epic games: also affects majors?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> slow research - epic games: also affects majors? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
slow research - epic games: also affects majors? - 3/26/2021 12:39:05 AM   
misterprimus

Does slowest research (epic games) slow down the AI as well, or is it just a handicap on the human player?
Post #: 1
RE: slow research - epic games: also affects majors? - 3/26/2021 2:55:21 AM   
Madeofmeat

I'm certain it affects AI. I recently played a game on a Seth planet (no water). Around turn 180 some of the AI armies started evaporating from food shortages. Their water deposits had run out but they hadn't developed the tech to make water yet.

(in reply to misterprimus)
Post #: 2
RE: slow research - epic games: also affects majors? - 3/26/2021 3:40:57 AM   
misterprimus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Madeofmeat

I'm certain it affects AI. I recently played a game on a Seth planet (no water). Around turn 180 some of the AI armies started evaporating from food shortages. Their water deposits had run out but they hadn't developed the tech to make water yet.

I see. I was looking for someone with experience on harsh planets against AI. Would you say AI suffers more or less than the player from harsh worlds, like moon / planetoid / seth?

(in reply to Madeofmeat)
Post #: 3
RE: slow research - epic games: also affects majors? - 3/26/2021 6:19:12 AM   
Madeofmeat

AIs play hyper-aggressive and will blitz the whole planet early on if resources permit. Making a harsher planet slows them down a bit, and I find that easier. But that could just be my play style, I'd rather tech turtle than match the AI's level of aggression.

That game with Seth + slowest tech is an extreme example. That's the only time I've seen the AIs completely collapse under their own weight. I customized that planet to be something like 40%+ mountains with low pre-apocalypse population and few settled zones, to prevent AIs from snowballing. It worked too well.

Post #: 4
RE: slow research - epic games: also affects majors? - 3/26/2021 6:26:41 AM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: misterprimus

quote:

I see. I was looking for someone with experience on harsh planets against AI. Would you say AI suffers more or less than the player from harsh worlds, like moon / planetoid / seth?

There is one important rule about game AI: They can not plan ahead.

There are plenty of actions that:
a) require so little planning of a human, you might not even be aware you just planned
b) require so much planning of a AI, it literally can not do it.
There is a reason AI are given so many bonuses and reduced rules.

So anything that would require planing to overcome, will delay them massively.

Post #: 5
RE: slow research - epic games: also affects majors? - 3/27/2021 8:04:13 AM   
misterprimus

quote:

AIs play hyper-aggressive and will blitz the whole planet early on if resources permit. Making a harsher planet slows them down a bit, and I find that easier. But that could just be my play style, I'd rather tech turtle than match the AI's level of aggression.

That game with Seth + slowest tech is an extreme example. That's the only time I've seen the AIs completely collapse under their own weight. I customized that planet to be something like 40%+ mountains with low pre-apocalypse population and few settled zones, to prevent AIs from snowballing. It worked too well.

I'm playing on Planetoid, which has similar restrictions. How did you maintain positive cashflow in midgame?

(in reply to Madeofmeat)
Post #: 6
RE: slow research - epic games: also affects majors? - 3/27/2021 3:47:53 PM   
eddieballgame

You can monitor your 'tech level' (& much more) vs the other majors via the 'Rep/Regimes' tab.

Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> slow research - epic games: also affects majors? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI