Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Theaterbox Transfers Question -

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Theaterbox Transfers Question - Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Theaterbox Transfers Question - - 3/25/2021 5:57:54 PM   
AdmiralHalsey

Is there a way to cancel all theater movements?

For example, if I want to take charge of deciding what goes to the Western Front when - Can I simply select to cancel every single pending movement to and fro that Theater, or do I have to cancel these one by one?

Additionally I'd be interested to hear the rational behind many of the disband requirements that remain - Why are these units being force disbanded if we're responsible for cross Theater Management? I'm concerned about sticking to a historical disband date as that ties you into decisions that may have been historically made for reasons that are irrelevent to the circumstances that might unfold in your specific playthough.
Post #: 1
RE: Theaterbox Transfers Question - - 3/25/2021 6:08:29 PM   
loki100

you have to eliminate the move unit by unit. This is a much needed safety net.

Now be careful, some units move many times across the game and those later moves are factored into the cv needed to meet the minimum in each theatre to avoid penalties.

So while you cannot remove from a Theatre if it would put you < 90%, you can opt/fail to send and thus drop well below 90%. Now that can bring real problems, you can shed 1-3 VP per turn per Theatre in addition to seeing events move faster against you.

Units with a disband rather than a transfer reflect what happened to that unit (or unit type) in the actual war

(in reply to AdmiralHalsey)
Post #: 2
RE: Theaterbox Transfers Question - - 3/25/2021 6:30:08 PM   
AdmiralHalsey

What's the reasoning behind the forced disbands for late war?

The odds of a computer game playing out close enough for the same disbands to make sense for the same reasons is relatively minimal. Given that we have the ability to disband units ourselves, set ToEs, transfer between fronts - What's the reason why these decisions can't be left up to the player to impliment [Or not] as it makes sense for the battle unfolding?

As for the lack of a cancellation button that seems like a very poor idea. The work at the start of a new game to cancel the movements for four years of war is going to be a mammoth effort. Naturally you would then be responsible for meeting [Or intentionally not meeting!] the requirements for the given theater box, but isn't the whole point of having the theater box option to allow the player to take control of that part of a war?

I can appreciate a 'safety net' in the form of a 'Are you sure you want to do this?' type pop up window, but a safety net in the 'Please imput these hundreds of instructions by hand one by one' safety net is less of a net and more of a padded cell.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3
RE: Theaterbox Transfers Question - - 3/25/2021 6:36:29 PM   
Great_Ajax

The only Axis disbands are for units that were merged into a single unit. For example, one of the StuG Battalions are disbanded because it became an integral part of Ski Brigade. Units are NOT disbanded in game based on historical losses. The player is given those decisions to make.

Trey

quote:

ORIGINAL: AdmiralHalsey

What's the reasoning behind the forced disbands for late war?

The odds of a computer game playing out close enough for the same disbands to make sense for the same reasons is relatively minimal. Given that we have the ability to disband units ourselves, set ToEs, transfer between fronts - What's the reason why these decisions can't be left up to the player to impliment [Or not] as it makes sense for the battle unfolding?

As for the lack of a cancellation button that seems like a very poor idea. The work at the start of a new game to cancel the movements for four years of war is going to be a mammoth effort. Naturally you would then be responsible for meeting [Or intentionally not meeting!] the requirements for the given theater box, but isn't the whole point of having the theater box option to allow the player to take control of that part of a war?

I can appreciate a 'safety net' in the form of a 'Are you sure you want to do this?' type pop up window, but a safety net in the 'Please imput these hundreds of instructions by hand one by one' safety net is less of a net and more of a padded cell.

"You want mercy!? I'm chaotic neutral!"

WiTE Scenario Designer
WitW Scenario/Data Team Lead
WitE 2.0 Scenario Designer

Post #: 4
RE: Theaterbox Transfers Question - - 3/25/2021 6:38:39 PM   
821Bobo

You dont have that many disbands. For instance only 3 German infantry formations are disbanded.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 5
RE: Theaterbox Transfers Question - - 3/25/2021 6:51:55 PM   
AdmiralHalsey

So we seem to be at odds here.

On the one hand, we're suggesting all disbands are based on the historical reorganisation of units. [If the Germans made a Panzer division out of a Motorized Brigade, a Panzer Regiment and an Infantry Regiment historically, and it's in the renforcement shedule, then the corresponding units have to be disbanded - Fair enough I can 100% get behind that.]

On the other hand, there's a screenshot there of the forced disbanding of the 164th Infantry division, which to the best of my understanding was lost in the general surrender in Africa in May, 1943. I don't see the logic behind a force disband there, several months later as I assume the destruction of units in the Africa Surrender is handled via events and the Africa Theater box [Who knows, in my game the 164th might end up in Stalingrad.]

And while I appreciate there might be three disbandings in your screenshot, according to the withdrawals and renforcement screen at the start of the 1941 game, there are 1337 new arriving units, 838 transfers [Which I have to cancel by hand, if I understand correctly - 838 seperate instructions is tedium for a player, I implode you to reconsider this for a patch] and 189 units that disband.

I'm not sure where your screenshot comes from - It's not even including all the Infantry Divisions - the 1st Slovac goes on turn 7. It looks like you might have filtered by 'German' and 'Infantry', but the majority of the disbands are AA [40 units] and Art [36] units.

It looks to me like most of the AA is the disbanding of many German Mortorized units to free up truck capacity for Operation Blau - That would disagree with the first poster, since that seems the sort of decision that should be in the players hands. [Do I want more truck availability, and if so do I make static units, disband mortorized support formations, disband panzer divisions, or conduct a smaller assault?] I'm certainly not aware of any new formations or units that were created by the removal of these units, but would be fasinated to know if this was the case - Moved to the Field Divisions perhaps?

(in reply to 821Bobo)
Post #: 6
RE: Theaterbox Transfers Question - - 3/25/2021 6:56:10 PM   
821Bobo

You dont play in Afrika so you can not change outcome of Rommel's campaign.

Yes I filtered Germans. As a Slovak I know quite a bit about Slovak units. Disband of 1st Slovak inf is reorganization change. Most of the troops were transferred to the mobile brigade to form mobile division. Rest demobilized.

< Message edited by 821Bobo -- 3/25/2021 6:59:50 PM >

Post #: 7
RE: Theaterbox Transfers Question - - 3/25/2021 6:57:14 PM   
loki100

The AA disbands are connected with the integration of those units into the Pzr divisions, same as in #1, that is going to be a lot of the disbands you are seeing

the Slovak forces were radically reorganised when it became clear they lacked the reserve assets to sustain the initial force

Post #: 8
RE: Theaterbox Transfers Question - - 3/25/2021 6:58:40 PM   
AdmiralHalsey

quote:

ORIGINAL: 821Bobo

My understanding is that this is incorrect. You can withdraw or add additional units to the africa theater box, thus slowing down or speeding up the collapse of the Africa front and impacting the time the allies land in Italy ad the Italian surrender.

This is specifically stated as an example in the manual, is this incorrect?

[The information about the AA disbands is super interesting - Thank you. That clears up all my questions on the disbands at least!]

< Message edited by AdmiralHalsey -- 3/25/2021 7:00:51 PM >

(in reply to 821Bobo)
Post #: 9
RE: Theaterbox Transfers Question - - 3/25/2021 7:02:30 PM   
821Bobo

quote:

quote:

My understanding is that this is incorrect. You can withdraw or add additional units to the africa theater box, thus slowing down or speeding up the collapse of the Africa front and impacting the time the allies land in Italy ad the Italian surrender.

Yes but you can abuse it because you know they will be defeated in the end and save the unit from being destroyed just 1-2 turns before it happens. There was no chance for Axis to evacuate units from Afrika because complete Allied naval supremacy.

Post #: 10
RE: Theaterbox Transfers Question - - 3/25/2021 7:10:41 PM   
AdmiralHalsey

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes but you can abuse it because you know they will be defeated in the end and save the unit from being destroyed just 1-2 turns before it happens. There was no chance for Axis to evacuate units from Afrika because complete Allied naval supremacy.

While it may or may not be abusable, that does seem off topic. If it is abusable, it appears poor form to mention it in a public forum which will lead to be it being abused.

Perhaps worth looking at a patch that introduces an Axis 'Naval Capacity' which limits the number of units that can be shipped to [or from] Africa by sea.

That would prevent a sudden instant withdrawal to italy, reflect the issues with Axis supply capacity, and give you the option of a slow reduction in assets - Potentially leading to a sudden early collapse and an early invasion of italy.

Give the artifical limitation of holding at least 80% of requirements in the Theater Box, it seems it's not too abusable, you can only save a small portion of the Africa Korps at best and this is of dubious value in the grand scale of the game.

My point was that you can affect the outcome of the Africa box and it does appear that you can.

Beyond stressing once again that it would be incredibly helpful to have a button for cancelling all pending transfer instructions, that's the end of my questions.

(in reply to 821Bobo)
Post #: 11
RE: Theaterbox Transfers Question - - 3/25/2021 7:22:42 PM   
Erik Rutins

The limit helps avoid abuse but of course what counts as exploiting the system may vary. The limit avoids the worst of that. It's quite possible to use the enhanced theater box system to influence the results in a theater either speeding them up or slowing them down, but you can't send them in the opposite direction of historical. By moving units to the map from the theaters you can also significantly change your forces on the map to your liking as long as you maintain the theater minimums. Up to you really, but you can't fight Rommel's campaign for him though you can give him more troops or airpower to help delay the ultimate loss of North Africa and eventually Italy.

Personally I really find the enhanced theater box option a lot of fun and when playing the Axis during the winter of '41 I've often leaned on other theaters quite a lot to shore up my lines.

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 3/25/2021 7:23:44 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 12
RE: Theaterbox Transfers Question - - 3/25/2021 7:55:08 PM   
Great_Ajax

No. The 164th Infantry Division was incorporated into the Kreta Fortress Division in January 1942. That is why the 164th is disbanded in the game. The 164th Light Afrika appears as a new unit in Wite 2 in August 1942 and is scheduled to appear in Afrika on its historical deployment date.

quote:

So we seem to be at odds here.

On the one hand, we're suggesting all disbands are based on the historical reorganisation of units. [If the Germans made a Panzer division out of a Motorized Brigade, a Panzer Regiment and an Infantry Regiment historically, and it's in the renforcement shedule, then the corresponding units have to be disbanded - Fair enough I can 100% get behind that.]

On the other hand, there's a screenshot there of the forced disbanding of the 164th Infantry division, which to the best of my understanding was lost in the general surrender in Africa in May, 1943. I don't see the logic behind a force disband there, several months later as I assume the destruction of units in the Africa Surrender is handled via events and the Africa Theater box [Who knows, in my game the 164th might end up in Stalingrad.]

And while I appreciate there might be three disbandings in your screenshot, according to the withdrawals and renforcement screen at the start of the 1941 game, there are 1337 new arriving units, 838 transfers [Which I have to cancel by hand, if I understand correctly - 838 seperate instructions is tedium for a player, I implode you to reconsider this for a patch] and 189 units that disband.

I'm not sure where your screenshot comes from - It's not even including all the Infantry Divisions - the 1st Slovac goes on turn 7. It looks like you might have filtered by 'German' and 'Infantry', but the majority of the disbands are AA [40 units] and Art [36] units.

It looks to me like most of the AA is the disbanding of many German Mortorized units to free up truck capacity for Operation Blau - That would disagree with the first poster, since that seems the sort of decision that should be in the players hands. [Do I want more truck availability, and if so do I make static units, disband mortorized support formations, disband panzer divisions, or conduct a smaller assault?] I'm certainly not aware of any new formations or units that were created by the removal of these units, but would be fasinated to know if this was the case - Moved to the Field Divisions perhaps?

< Message edited by Great_Ajax -- 3/25/2021 8:05:44 PM >

WiTE Scenario Designer

Post #: 13
RE: Theaterbox Transfers Question - - 3/25/2021 7:59:56 PM   
Great_Ajax

Also, many Mot. Flak Battalions are disbanded in 1942 because they became organic in the Panzer and Motorized Division OBs in 1942. Prior to 1942, these units were independent and attached to Corps HQs and sometimes the divisions themselves. Many artillery units are similarly disbanded to account for new panzer divisions and the expansion of the Gross Deutschland Motorized Regiment in 1942.

WiTE Scenario Designer

(in reply to Great_Ajax)
Post #: 14
RE: Theaterbox Transfers Question - - 3/25/2021 8:07:54 PM   
Steelers708

The 164.Infanterie Division was incorporated into/renamed the Festungs-division Kreta on the 10th January 1942 not in June 1942.

(in reply to Great_Ajax)
Post #: 15
RE: Theaterbox Transfers Question - - 3/25/2021 8:09:54 PM   
Great_Ajax

Typo on my part here trying to bang out responses on my phone while at work.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steelers708

The 164.Infanterie Division was incorporated into/renamed the Festungs-division Kreta on the 10th January 1942 not in June 1942.

WiTE Scenario Designer

(in reply to Steelers708)
Post #: 16
RE: Theaterbox Transfers Question - - 3/25/2021 9:03:50 PM   
AdmiralHalsey

Very much appreciate the extra historical insights, thank you!

(in reply to Great_Ajax)
Post #: 17
RE: Theaterbox Transfers Question - - 3/25/2021 9:17:29 PM   
Great_Ajax

You bet. The design intent is not to arbitrarily disband or remove units unless there is some kind of "double obligation." There are a few Easter Eggs in the unit list as well that are there because we specifically don't disband.

quote:

Very much appreciate the extra historical insights, thank you!

WiTE Scenario Designer

Post #: 18
RE: Theaterbox Transfers Question - - 3/25/2021 9:35:20 PM   
MechFO

First off, really great work with the whole TOE/OOB.

Found 2 Stug units and 6 Arty units which IMO shouldn't be disbanding, and I think one of those Art units might have the wrong guns. Where to post the information? PM?

The Editor is great. The new name change and transform if disabled functions are really neat, I guess it was implemented late in development since it's a bit of a mishmasch whether a unit name changes or it gets disbanded/new arrival.

I still don't agree with how the Stalingrad units and probably some other odds and sods from the 44 encirclements (haven't checked those yet) get handled but this is now literally a decade old disagreement.

< Message edited by MechFO -- 3/25/2021 9:36:18 PM >

(in reply to Great_Ajax)
Post #: 19
RE: Theaterbox Transfers Question - - 3/25/2021 9:57:25 PM   
AdmiralHalsey

quote:

ORIGINAL: MechFO

Found 2 Stug units and 6 Arty units which IMO shouldn't be disbanding, and I think one of those Art units might have the wrong guns. Where to post the information? PM?

The Editor is great. The new name change and transform if disabled functions are really neat, I guess it was implemented late in development since it's a bit of a mishmasch whether a unit name changes or it gets disbanded/new arrival.

I still don't agree with how the Stalingrad units and probably some other odds and sods from the 44 encirclements (haven't checked those yet) get handled but this is now literally a decade old disagreement.

Which Stalingrad units are you having any issues with being handled? I've not seen any issues with them - They're not force disbanded or withdrawn anymore unlike WITE 1.

(in reply to MechFO)
Post #: 20
RE: Theaterbox Transfers Question - - 3/25/2021 10:17:44 PM   
MechFO

quote:

quote:

Which Stalingrad units are you having any issues with being handled? I've not seen any issues with them - They're not force disbanded or withdrawn anymore unlike WITE 1.

Allow me to use WITP to illustrate.

The Enterprise class Enterprise goes swimming around Stalingrad and gets sunk.

A new Essex class is then named Enterprise and gets sent to France. So far so good and according to history.

In WITP if the original Enterprise does not dig itself into the ground, or sea, you still get to use it if it's not lost as historical, since it obviously still exists.

In WITE2, the Essex class somehow does not get built if the original survives, and the original is sent to France instead. You do get to keep the lump of steel that the Essex Enterprise was in WITE2, and you can in theory use that steel for various other things, but the Ship itself is magicked out of existance.

I.e. I rather receive the unit that was historicaly formed and used. The name is immaterial, case in point being the rash of superfluous German divisions being formed in 45.

If I whish to use the resources used for the units built in early 43 elsewhere, I can always still manually disband. That is player choice. The way things are implemented now, the choice is made by the scenario designer and several functional divisions are magicked out of existance, though one keeps the raw material.

< Message edited by MechFO -- 3/25/2021 10:25:07 PM >

Post #: 21
RE: Theaterbox Transfers Question - - 3/25/2021 10:21:14 PM   
Great_Ajax

If you want to send me a list and the issue, I will take a look at it.

Trey

quote:

WiTE Scenario Designer

(in reply to MechFO)
Post #: 22
RE: Theaterbox Transfers Question - - 3/25/2021 10:26:48 PM   
Great_Ajax

Yes, there are limitations with the game design since the game moves units around based on historical deployments. However, these deployments can be changed or halted at the player's discretion when using the full theater box options. As a compromise to the age old Stalingrad debate, the player gets the 345th and 386th Mot. Infantry Divisions to play with. Historically, these divisions were used to fill out some of the destroyed Stalingrad units but the player gets to use them as however they want.

Trey

quote:

quote:

quote:

Allow me to use WITP to illustrate.

The Enterprise class Enterprise goes swimming around Stalingrad and gets sunk.

A new Essex class is then named Enterprise and gets sent to France. So far so good and according to history.

In WITP if the original Enterprise does not dig itself into the ground, or sea, you still get to use it if it's not lost as historical, since it obviously still exists.

In WITE2, the Essex class somehow does not get built if the original survives, and the original is sent to France instead. You do get to keep the lump of steel that the Essex Enterprise was in WITE2, and you can in theory use that steel for various other things, but the Ship itself is magicked out of existance.

I.e. I rather receive the unit that was historicaly formed and used. If I whish to use the resources that the unit represents elsewhere, I can always still manually disband. That is player choice. The way things are implemented now, the choice is made by the scenario designer.

WiTE Scenario Designer

(in reply to MechFO)
Post #: 23
RE: Theaterbox Transfers Question - - 3/25/2021 11:21:58 PM   
MechFO

Give me back my PM::::::::

your storage is full, let me know when there's some space and I'll retype.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Great_Ajax
Yes, there are limitations with the game design since the game moves units around based on historical deployments. However, these deployments can be changed or halted at the player's discretion when using the full theater box options. As a compromise to the age old Stalingrad debate, the player gets the 345th and 386th Mot. Infantry Divisions to play with. Historically, these divisions were used to fill out some of the destroyed Stalingrad units but the player gets to use them as however they want.

Didn't notice them, that's very nice. The 345th is the perfect example, historically renamed to the 29th because of the recently lost division, but the label is completely independant of the formed unit. Unit needed in Sicily? It doesn't matter what the name is, only that a functional division equivalent is sent there.

< Message edited by MechFO -- 3/25/2021 11:34:04 PM >

(in reply to Great_Ajax)
Post #: 24
RE: Theaterbox Transfers Question - - 3/25/2021 11:34:55 PM   
Great_Ajax

Thanks for letting me know! I cleared out some space so try it again.

Trey

quote:

Give me back my PM::::::::

your storage is full, let me know when there's some space and I'll retype.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Great_Ajax

Didn't notice them, that's very nice. The 345th is the perfect example, historically renamed to the 29th because of the recently lost division, but the label is completely independant of the formed unit. Unit needed in Sicily? It doesn't matter what the name is, only that a functional division equivalent is sent there.

WiTE Scenario Designer

(in reply to MechFO)
Post #: 25
RE: Theaterbox Transfers Question - - 3/25/2021 11:43:33 PM   
Helpless

quote:

The Editor is great.

No. Trey is great. Editor is going to be improved.

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development

(in reply to MechFO)
Post #: 26
RE: Theaterbox Transfers Question - - 3/25/2021 11:49:36 PM   
Great_Ajax

You're my hero, Pavel! I've got some great ideas.

Trey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Helpless

quote:

The Editor is great.

No. Trey is great. Editor is going to be improved.

WiTE Scenario Designer

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Theaterbox Transfers Question - Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI