I am posting here for two separate reasons. One, hopefully to get answers so as to be able to enjoy the game. But also to communicate the difficulties faced by a newcomer, in the hope that these things can be made more accessible in Distant Worlds 2.
So I have started a fresh game, and I am getting a message that "Construction at Jomos Station is stalled due to shortages of the following resources:Helium, Gold."
1) So I use F10 to open construction yards, and there is no "Jomos Station" listed. There is "Jomos 5 Spaceport" and Jomos 5." Why would the warning message use a different name for the location than the construction yard list uses?
2) I check the building queue for each of the two Jomos locations, and find that there is one item -- a construction ship is waiting to be constructed at Jomos Station. I assume that that is the stalled item?
3) So I go to check the resources needed to build a construction ship. I know of no better place than ship design. Is there a better source for this information, because when I go there, it is all pretty vague. I see components listed, but I see no way to get a list of what resources are needed per component (there is a nice popup when researchers invent a component, but I cannot find a way to access that information later on). And certainly no way to get the totals for the construction ship as currently configured.
4) Worse, in yellow at the top of the the page for building the construction ship, I am warned that my empire has no access to two required resources: Silicon and Helium. WHAT? So has the game changed its mind and I lack Silicon, not Gold? Or is this a hint that I am barking up the wrong tree, and the stalled project is something entirely different? WHY OH WHY WASN'T THAT ORIGINAL WARNING MORE SPECIFIC? It would have saved a ton of frustration if that warning had stated "Construction of A is stalled at location B due to the lack of resources C and D." Especially if the location naming convention had matched the naming in the list of construction sites.
5) Worst of all, by far: I press F3 for the Expansion Planner and find:
* I have 1 source of Gold and a supply of 9.3k, and since I have only one planet at this point, it would seem impossible that construction at that planet would stall due lack of Gold.
* Although I have no source of Helium, I have 5.8K in my empire. Again, it can me no place other than at my home planet, so I am skeptical that this can stall a project.
* Although I have no source of Silicon, I have 14K in my empire. Again, it can me no place other than at my home planet, so I am skeptical that this can stall a project.
I suspect that all these things look trivial to an experienced player of the game. But from a newcomer's perspective, the lack of clarity here is extremely discouraging, and, as a newcomer, it is hard not to become hopelessly discouraged when picturing this confusion multiplying, as an empire expands across a galaxy.
I welcome explanations, so that I can continue. It really looks like a promising game. But even more than that, I hope that the in-game communication of these things will be more clear in Distant Worlds 2.