About a week ago I wrapped up the 1812 playtest. I finished that 1812 game (AI Great Britain won; the victory screen does work btw...) and restarted 1812 to verify changes are good. I found some issues and worked them out. It took me a bit longer than I expected. In no particular order, here's what I was dealing with:
1. French Imperial Guard Corps was still not behaving as I expected. I did a deep-dive on the special units code and scrutinized how guard and artillery is assigned. Performance is much improved now.
2. I didn't provide many details in my previous playtest comments, but was finding the French overpowering Great Britain in Spain/Portugal. The problem was once Spain surrenders and forced access ends, any French corps in Portugal end up being stuck there for the rest of the game. The AI should start retreating for home if in or beyond a forced access country after a surrender. This required a new function and some playtesting. This is working now.
3. The French offensive into Russia was being watered down with spurious off-axis attacks on Russian garrisons. Like, Riga, and then Novgorod/St. Petersburg. And Kiev, and then Odessa. So I duplicated the assign units code to make a first pass for minor units to look at lone garrisons and depots first, and then the second pass would look at all units for all attacks as before. Performance is much improved now, with French regulars more focused on Moscow.
All in all, the 1812 campaign looks pretty good now and I am content to move on to 1805 to verify changes are good for the early game. Below follows my latest playtest today as Austria again, observing the other AI computer opponents on Hard difficulty.
Empires in Arms Development Team