Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

v1.23.08 Playtest - 1812 Scenario - Part II

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> v1.23.08 Playtest - 1812 Scenario - Part II Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
v1.23.08 Playtest - 1812 Scenario - Part II - 3/19/2021 12:21:10 AM   
pzgndr

About a week ago I wrapped up the 1812 playtest. I finished that 1812 game (AI Great Britain won; the victory screen does work btw...) and restarted 1812 to verify changes are good. I found some issues and worked them out. It took me a bit longer than I expected. In no particular order, here's what I was dealing with:

1. French Imperial Guard Corps was still not behaving as I expected. I did a deep-dive on the special units code and scrutinized how guard and artillery is assigned. Performance is much improved now.

2. I didn't provide many details in my previous playtest comments, but was finding the French overpowering Great Britain in Spain/Portugal. The problem was once Spain surrenders and forced access ends, any French corps in Portugal end up being stuck there for the rest of the game. The AI should start retreating for home if in or beyond a forced access country after a surrender. This required a new function and some playtesting. This is working now.

3. The French offensive into Russia was being watered down with spurious off-axis attacks on Russian garrisons. Like, Riga, and then Novgorod/St. Petersburg. And Kiev, and then Odessa. So I duplicated the assign units code to make a first pass for minor units to look at lone garrisons and depots first, and then the second pass would look at all units for all attacks as before. Performance is much improved now, with French regulars more focused on Moscow.

All in all, the 1812 campaign looks pretty good now and I am content to move on to 1805 to verify changes are good for the early game. Below follows my latest playtest today as Austria again, observing the other AI computer opponents on Hard difficulty.

Bill
Empires in Arms Development Team
Post #: 1
RE: v1.23.08 Playtest - 1812 Scenario - Part II - 3/19/2021 12:23:26 AM   
pzgndr

June 1812, Russia moves first and retreats. France advances to besiege Riga, Minsk, Vilna, Grodno, and Brest-Litovsk. No surprises here.

Attachment (1)

Bill

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 2
RE: v1.23.08 Playtest - 1812 Scenario - Part II - 3/19/2021 12:27:38 AM   
pzgndr

June 1812. Spain surrendered on first turn, which provided an early opportunity to see France retreating from a forced access nation. Great Britain is still puny and not yet ready to launch any offensives. For AI behavior, this is conservative and I'd rather have the computer opponent err on the side of caution than take unnecessary risks and suffer great losses.

Attachment (1)

Bill

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 3
RE: v1.23.08 Playtest - 1812 Scenario - Part II - 3/19/2021 12:32:23 AM   
pzgndr

July 1812. Russia moves first again and continues to retreat. France continues a cautious advance.

Note: I occasionally see France move first and initiate a major battle at Kovno before Russia retreats. Or, if Barclay only retreats 2 areas instead of 3 and gets caught south of the Dvina River, France sometimes attacks. It all depends...

Attachment (1)

Bill

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 4
RE: v1.23.08 Playtest - 1812 Scenario - Part II - 3/19/2021 12:36:38 AM   
pzgndr

August 1812, Russia moves first again. Usually, France gets in a double move by now, but not this time. Russia continues its retreats, with Barclay only retreating 2 areas this time and Tormassov starting to retreat to Moscow from Kiev. France continues to advance cautiously. I expected an attack on Barclay but it didn't happen.

Attachment (1)

Bill

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 5
RE: v1.23.08 Playtest - 1812 Scenario - Part II - 3/19/2021 12:40:47 AM   
pzgndr

September 1812. France moves first. Napoleon had a good chance to fight Barclay but held back for some reason. (There is still some fog of war and variability with the computer opponent!) Davout focuses on Smolensk. Note here how the French minors are holding back to clean up the sieges in the rear, freeing up the French regulars to focus on Moscow.

Attachment (1)

Bill

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 6
RE: v1.23.08 Playtest - 1812 Scenario - Part II - 3/19/2021 12:47:26 AM   
pzgndr

October 1812. Russia moves first and completes all retreats to Moscow. French main body advances to Smolensk. Minsk continues to hold out but the rest of the rear area is secure.

Attachment (1)

Bill

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 7
RE: v1.23.08 Playtest - 1812 Scenario - Part II - 3/19/2021 12:59:51 AM   
pzgndr

November 1812. Russia moves first. Interestingly, Barclay with a partial force advances out of Moscow towards Smolensk. What will Napoleon do, attack Barclay or press on to Moscow? Napoleon goes for Moscow! Finally, a major battle 106:82, and France picks "Probe" to Russia's "Defend" and loses the battle to Russia. Moscow holds, for now...

At this point, I stopped. This quick playtest verified what I wanted to see happen up to the onset of winter. I think I have run through several dozen iterations of this 1812 campaign over the past couple of months and I've seen things swing both ways. Players should feel reasonably challenged now to play either side against a computer opponent acting a bit smarter on both offense and defense.

Alright, enough of 1812. I want to get back to 1805 for a bit over this next week. Then a couple weeks for some pbem group testing and I'll be sending the v1.23.08 official update package to Matrix. Then everyone can try out the new and improved AI along with all of the other bug fixes and enhancements.

Attachment (1)

Bill

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 8
RE: v1.23.08 Playtest - 1812 Scenario - Part II - 4/7/2021 7:18:41 PM   
pzgndr

Getting back to rerunning 1812 to verify changes made during my 1805 playtests are still good. I continued to see a few minor issues with depot placements, off-axis attacks on distant garrisons, and French bypassing Vitebsk to attack Smolensk. I undid an adjustment for placing depots, so this looks better now with France placing depots at Brest-Litovsk and now Minsk. For the off-axis exclusions, I was checking distances from unit to capital versus target garrison to capital. I was inspired to check total distance from unit to target garrison to capital and compare that. I think this is much better. For Vitebsk, I had an exclusion check for target areas being out of supply and forage value less than 3. Vitebsk is 2, so I changed the checks to include forage values less than 2. The old code just checked for being out of supply, and I've added a little more flexibility if foraging is possible. As seen in screenshot for September 1812, the French advance is progressing nicely.

Attachment (1)

Bill

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> v1.23.08 Playtest - 1812 Scenario - Part II Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI