Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Combined Arms Operations Series

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Combined Arms Operations Series Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Combined Arms Operations Series - 3/15/2021 9:01:20 AM   
Simulacra53

Looks interesting.
Indies are upping their game.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1466610/Combined_Arms_Operations_Series/

quote:

The Combined Arms Operations Series simulates hypothetical battles between World War II armies. Assemble your forces, out plan, and outfight your enemies to master the art of combined arms warfare in chaotic simultaneous turns where commanders must adapt quickly to an evolving battlefield.

ABOUT THIS GAME

The Combined Arms Operations Series (CAOS) simulates operational level combat between World War II armies across national boundaries and years. Ever wanted to see Soviet and US forces face off in 1945? Or Germany 1939 versus Italy 1942? Here’s your shot.

Follow historical doctrines or rewrite them entirely as you reorganize historical armies to match your command style. See for yourself how the Soviet army could perform in 1941 outside the confines of Operation Barbarossa. Mix and match units from across the German army to create the ultimate combined arms kampfgruppe in 1944. Mass enough American artillery to blot out the sun. Whatever your playstyle, CAOS is happy to provide.

Scenarios in CAOS are fast paced and self-contained. Players can choose between anything from small battles between a couple divisions that can be played in under and hour, to sprawling army level battles involving dozens of divisions and hundreds of units that can be played across several days. Multiplayer scenarios are synchronous, allowing you to see your ally issue orders in real time, easily coordinate your battleplans, and even transfer control of units between players.
Simulate Operational Combat:
CAOS uses simultaneous turn resolution and highly mobile combat to recreate the chaotic nature of combined arms warfare in a turn-based strategy game. Use armored spearheads to smash through enemy lines and create deep encirclements. Infiltrate commandos through rugged mountains to cut off hostile lines of supply. Pound enemies into submission from afar with artillery and aircraft. Destroy bridges, build fortifications, and construct minefields to force your rivals to fight on your terms. But remember, no plan of battle survives contact with the enemy. Be prepared to adapt quickly to an evolving battlefield and outmaneuver your opponents.

Post #: 1
RE: Combined Arms Operations Series - 3/15/2021 9:47:50 AM   
RFalvo69

quote:

ORIGINAL: Simulacra53

Looks interesting.
Indies are upping their game.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1466610/Combined_Arms_Operations_Series/

This looks very interesting. Thanks for the find!

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to Simulacra53)
Post #: 2
RE: Combined Arms Operations Series - 3/15/2021 9:58:31 AM   
Grognerd_INC

Congrats RFalvo69 you are now a Matrix Elite Guard! 1001 posts!

< Message edited by Grognerd_INC -- 3/15/2021 9:59:11 AM >

Formerly Grognerd, currently Doc Savage

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 3
RE: Combined Arms Operations Series - 3/15/2021 1:05:33 PM   
MrsWargamer

I was like, neat another option, then I read this "Ever wanted to see Soviet and US forces face off in 1945? Or Germany 1939 versus Italy 1942? Here’s your shot."

Americans vs Russians, maaaaaaaybe. Germans vs Italians though, that was my cue to look closer.

Hypothetical is always welcome. But goofy, I don't need, regardless of how well designed the goofy is. I already have Advanced Tactics if I want to do the Red vs Blue thing.

Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.

(in reply to Grognerd_INC)
Post #: 4
RE: Combined Arms Operations Series - 3/15/2021 1:43:58 PM   
RFalvo69

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

I was like, neat another option, then I read this "Ever wanted to see Soviet and US forces face off in 1945? Or Germany 1939 versus Italy 1942? Here’s your shot."

Americans vs Russians, maaaaaaaybe. Germans vs Italians though, that was my cue to look closer.

Hypothetical is always welcome. But goofy, I don't need, regardless of how well designed the goofy is. I already have Advanced Tactics if I want to do the Red vs Blue thing.

TOAW does just that

By reading the description, this game looks like a WEGO version of a TOAW-like engine. We will see.

(in reply to MrsWargamer)
Post #: 5
RE: Combined Arms Operations Series - 3/15/2021 9:25:57 PM   
Kuokkanen

Developer's previous game

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Simulacra53)
Post #: 6
RE: Combined Arms Operations Series - 3/16/2021 7:40:28 AM   
Alan Sharif

Thanks. This looks interesting.

A Sharif

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 7
RE: Combined Arms Operations Series - 3/16/2021 8:40:54 AM   
Grognerd_INC

I see a decent amount of new wargames on steam, seems like most of them don't cover stacking in a hex.

Formerly Grognerd, currently Doc Savage

(in reply to Alan Sharif)
Post #: 8
RE: Combined Arms Operations Series - 3/16/2021 2:24:36 PM   
benpark

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grognerd_INC

seems like most of them don't cover stacking in a hex.

This is a weird phenomena for me. Maybe that's from board gaming since the 1980's with more detailed stuff than some of these new games.

If the frontage area of a hex would sustain multiple units (or fractions of them)- a game should allow for it. Attacks are generally also vectored from smaller frontages than their defensive postures- stacking simulates that.

One of the interesting things that should be part of operational simulations is deciding combat compositions. Stacking is a big part of that.

Good thing WitE2 is nearly here. No more non-stacked games for me, unless there is a very distinct, interesting design decision behind it.

< Message edited by benpark -- 3/16/2021 2:25:07 PM >

"Fear is a darkroom where the devil develops his negatives" Gary Busey

Post #: 9
RE: Combined Arms Operations Series - 3/16/2021 3:08:38 PM   
76mm

quote:

I see a decent amount of new wargames on steam, seems like most of them don't cover stacking in a hex.

yup. I don't buy games that don't feature stacking, mainly for the reasons outlined by benpark.

[EDIT] After looking at the game, it looks like it allows players to merge units, which could be an adequate substitute for stacking; actually if done well, it would be better than stacking by reducing clutter. Keeping an eye on this one.

< Message edited by 76mm -- 3/16/2021 3:11:09 PM >

Post #: 10
RE: Combined Arms Operations Series - 3/16/2021 3:16:38 PM   
MrsWargamer

Stacking and multi-story buildings seem like coding limits or something because they seem to be a problem in anything from PC to cell phone level games.

ASL requires stacking. Without it, you ain't playing ASL.
ASL requires multiple levels in a hex, without it you ain't playing ASL.

Lots of board games have stacking and elevation simulations. It's not always just the turn sequence that is tricky to emulate.
I tend to regard any game that doesn't have stacking, to be a design from a person that simply isn't good enough at the software.

Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 11
RE: Combined Arms Operations Series - 3/16/2021 4:22:51 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

quote:

yup. I don't buy games that don't feature stacking, mainly for the reasons outlined by benpark.

[EDIT] After looking at the game, it looks like it allows players to merge units, which could be an adequate substitute for stacking; actually if done well, it would be better than stacking by reducing clutter. Keeping an eye on this one.

That would be like making larger units, such as divisions, from the smaller units like regiments, batteries, and squadrons but with the ability to take said smaller units out of the larger one for various reasons.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 12
RE: Combined Arms Operations Series - 3/16/2021 4:33:59 PM   
RFalvo69

quote:

Congrats RFalvo69 you are now a Matrix Elite Guard! 1001 posts!

LOL, I didn't even track that

I guess that in the last few months I burned through the last mile. Lot of time for posting, unfortunately...

Post #: 13
RE: Combined Arms Operations Series - 3/17/2021 3:20:37 AM   
Fred98

Thank you for bringing this to our attention!

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 14
RE: Combined Arms Operations Series - 3/17/2021 11:57:35 AM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe
That would be like making larger units, such as divisions, from the smaller units like regiments, batteries, and squadrons but with the ability to take said smaller units out of the larger one for various reasons.

well that makes sense, I probably read too much into the "merging units".

What I had in mind is being able to form in-game "kampfgruppe" by merging infantry, armor, AT, engineer units into one combined unit, etc. I've never seen a game that does this and frankly don't understand why not...

< Message edited by 76mm -- 6/21/2021 6:19:33 PM >

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 15
RE: Combined Arms Operations Series - 3/17/2021 2:23:52 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

well that makes sense, I probably read too much into the "merging units".

What I had in mind is being able to form in-game "kampgruppe" by merging infantry, armor, AT, engineer units into one combined unit, etc. I've never seen a game that does this and frankly don't understand why not...

You are thinking of making your own CCA, CCB, and the CCR for various tasks. The CCA and the CCB were usually the ones in combat for various missions while the CCR was for units repairing, replenishing, and resting. But that would be within one US armored division.

You want to be able to do that with units from disparate units which was also done to a limited extent when a tank or TD unit would be dispatched to help an infantry unit. That might be as small as a section up to and including a battalion.

< Message edited by RangerJoe -- 3/17/2021 2:37:11 PM >

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Combined Arms Operations Series Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI