Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Force Editor Problem

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Tech Support >> Force Editor Problem Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Force Editor Problem - 3/15/2021 4:17:26 AM   
rhinobones

Force Editor Problem

I’ve encountered a problem with bogus units appearing in the Order Of Battle. This anomaly is preventing unit deployment and ultimately completion of the scenario.

From the attached graphic:

1. Force 2 formation 321st Rifle Rgt was created with a HQ and two subunits. This formation appears properly in the Force 2 Force Editor screen.
2. These units do not appear in the Force 1 Force Editor. This is as it should be.
3. Two copies of the Force 2 321st Rifle Rgt units do appear in the Force 1 Order Of Battle. These copies do not have an assigned formation and, therefore, cause a “Not Fully Defined” error when deployment is attempted.

Mystery to me how Force 2 units transferred over to the Force 1 OOB, but they have, and they need to be deleted. I have been using the force copy, cut and paste functions extensively, so maybe this is the root of the problem. Should also note that the bogus units do not appear in the TOAW IV XML File Editor.

Since I cannot delete the bogus units in the Force 2 Force Editor, I have tried 1) renaming the 321st Rifle Rgt formation and 2) deleting the 321st Rifle Rgt formation from Force 2. Neither worked.

Need some help from the TOAW team and/or the local TOAW wizards. If it helps, I can send copies of the sce file for you work on.

Regards, RhinoBones

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil
Post #: 1
RE: Force Editor Problem - 3/15/2021 6:42:01 AM   
cathar1244

RB, can you post the .sce file? I'd be interested in looking at what might cause this.

Cheers

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 2
RE: Force Editor Problem - 3/15/2021 2:12:30 PM   
rhinobones

quote:

ORIGINAL: cathar1244

RB, can you post the .sce file? I'd be interested in looking at what might cause this.

Thanks, appreciate any help I can get. Please send an e-mail address via PM and I’ll ship the entire package.

Regards

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

(in reply to cathar1244)
Post #: 3
RE: Force Editor Problem - 3/15/2021 2:19:54 PM   
golden delicious

I had a bug which may be related when using copy/paste formations, but in this case all the formation assignments would change when the new formation was copied so that each formation was offset by 1 from its previous sequence. Clicking on the formation name of any unit seemed to instantly restore all the formation assignments. This bug came up so frequently that I just go into the habit of clicking the formation name as part of the flow of copying the formations.

It could be that this is another manifestation of the same bug, whereby the formation containing the rogue units has "overflowed" into the other force.

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 4
RE: Force Editor Problem - 3/15/2021 3:31:23 PM   
rhinobones

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

I had a bug which may be related when using copy/paste formations, but in this case all the formation assignments would change when the new formation was copied so that each formation was offset by 1 from its previous sequence. Clicking on the formation name of any unit seemed to instantly restore all the formation assignments.

Yes, happens to me too. Annoying, but not a showstopper. Also found that after fixing sequencing in the editor the anomaly would sometimes still appear in the OOB screen. Had to fix the editor a second time before units were mated with the correct formation.

The copy/cut/paste function is definitely involved. Just mystifying how working in Force 2 corrupted the Force 1 force structure.

Regards

Colin Wright:

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 5
RE: Force Editor Problem - 3/15/2021 3:45:48 PM   
cathar1244

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones

quote:

ORIGINAL: cathar1244

Thanks, appreciate any help I can get. Please send an e-mail address via PM and I’ll ship the entire package.

Regards

Done.

Cheers

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 6
RE: Force Editor Problem - 3/15/2021 4:37:40 PM   
Lobster

If I recall correctly someone else had the same or similar problem. Seems to me it was Larry.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Wearing blinders and earplugs everything you do is correct.

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 7
RE: Force Editor Problem - 3/15/2021 4:56:06 PM   
rhinobones

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster

If I recall correctly someone else had the same or similar problem. Seems to me it was Larry.

I should have known that in some way Larry was involved. Hopefully, Larry or whomever, knows the cure.

Regards

Colin Wright:

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 8
RE: Force Editor Problem - 3/15/2021 5:15:08 PM   
cathar1244

RB,

Email for you. I think I got the scenario back into workable condition. I was able to enter deployment mode and the Soviet deserters have been, eh, I think the phrase used by that nice NKVD officer was, "dealt with".

Cheers

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 9
RE: Force Editor Problem - 3/15/2021 5:56:13 PM   
rhinobones

quote:

ORIGINAL:
Email for you. I think I got the scenario back into workable condition. I was able to enter deployment mode and the Soviet deserters have been, eh, I think the phrase used by that nice NKVD officer was, "dealt with".

Cathar saves the day and solves the problem; we have achieved nirvana. His standing is elevated to TOAW Wizard. What did you use to open the gam file?

Regards & Cheers

Colin Wright:

(in reply to cathar1244)
Post #: 10
RE: Force Editor Problem - 3/15/2021 6:02:03 PM   
cathar1244

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones

quote:

ORIGINAL:

Cathar saves the day and solves the problem; we have achieved nirvana. His standing is elevated to TOAW Wizard. What did you use to open the gam file?

Regards & Cheers

Notepad. The .gam files are XML text. Glad it helped.

Cheers

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Tech Support >> Force Editor Problem Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI