The perfect retirement

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

MrsWargamer

The perfect retirement

Post by MrsWargamer »

I suppose some of here are still young. To me 'young' is under 40 :)

I consider anyone under 45 as jail bait :) Cougar I can handle. That means no younger than 50 for me :)

So I'm guessing a lot of us here are either already retired, or darned close to it.

I'm just wondering, what is it you'd pick if you could just have ideally what you'd like to have day after day month by month all year round.
This is a variation on the usual lottery musings. If I had 50 million, I could do anything I danged well wanted, I wouldn't need to pick.

So I'm just wondering, what is your ideal minimum.

My ideal minimum. A tiny home on a trailer. 1/2 ton truck I guess. I don't know much, I have never driven, so it won't be me driving :) I just assume a 1/2 covers the bases. I don't know if it will be a Ford or not. I have a friend that likes them.
Enough income, that gas is not even a worry. Enough income I can eat in small cafes. Enough income I can send return airfare to about 10 persons (so they can visit me somewhere in Canada during the summer).

That is my dream.
Not so much off the grid, as not tied to an address. Never anywhere long enough for anyone to even notice my presence.
I don't wish to leave Canada. Lots of nice places around the world I'm sure. But I have all of Canada to play with. Why leave.

I'm not sure how much a new Ford 1/2 ton and a custom made Tiny Home would cost. Not much really. But yearly expenses would likely be fairly light. I do amazingly well on 1169.00 a month. I think a million in the bank would be hard to get rid of for me. Gas and lunch ain't that much eh.

Drive to new location in the morning. Lunch. Play computer games during the evening, or watch TV, or make a model. Enjoy yet another sunset some place new. Rinse repeat.
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
DeepBlack

RE: The perfect retirement

Post by DeepBlack »

I used to have your fantasy back in the teen years. But, it
had a particular slant. I wanted to buy a surplus tank or B-17
bomber. Did not matter which. I would strip out all the combat
stuff and turn it into a traveling/flying RV. Kinda like an
Oil Sheik with his 747 luxury air yacht but mine would be a military
vehicle. I used to draw sketches of these silly ideas -
A tank that has a cozy cot and hotplate where all the ammo had been stored.
The bow MG would have a TV screen instead of the MG. That kind of thing.

The reality is that such a setup would be an enormous headache to keep
in service. You would literally need a team of people which kinda
kills the "eccentric lone wolf" vibe that the whole enterprise aspired to.

So yeah, it was an adolescent car fantasy tinged with Howard Hughes
Spruce Goose megalomania.

PBY conversion to flying home
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

ORIGINAL: DeepBlack

I used to have your fantasy back in the teen years. But, it
had a particular slant. I wanted to buy a surplus tank or B-17
bomber. Did not matter which. I would strip out all the combat
stuff and turn it into a traveling/flying RV. Kinda like an
Oil Sheik with his 747 luxury air yacht but mine would be a military
vehicle. I used to draw sketches of these silly ideas -
A tank that has a cozy cot and hotplate where all the ammo had been stored.
The bow MG would have a TV screen instead of the MG. That kind of thing.

The reality is that such a setup would be an enormous headache to keep
in service. You would literally need a team of people which kinda
kills the "eccentric lone wolf" vibe that the whole enterprise aspired to.

Get an old US Army one ton ambulance fixed up as an RV so you can take it on the very back roads. Have a trailer so you can have a four wheeler to go even farther back with a boat and/or canoe on top. Put solar panels on top of the RV as well.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

Getting rejuvenation therapy and becoming 20 again.
DeepBlack

Post by DeepBlack »

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

Get an old US Army one ton ambulance fixed up as an RV so you can take it on the very back roads. Have a trailer so you can have a four wheeler to go even farther back with a boat and/or canoe on top. Put solar panels on top of the RV as well.

Or just sit at home and play it.

RV renovation - The game
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

ORIGINAL: Perturabo

Getting rejuvenation therapy and becoming 20 again.

Being young again has its limitations.

Say you become artificially 20 again, after being 50. You will be a 20 something in a 20 something body, but you will still have a 50 something mind. You won't understand the normal 20 somethings. Everything they say and like and are doing will be strange to your ears. Everything you mention will be 30 years out of sync with them.

There's nothing more distressing than hearing "who is Mick Jagger?"
The Tide pod challenge completely baffles me "why the hell would you agree to do something so clearly stupidly dangerous."
"Do you realize how completely stupid your outfit looks?"
"You want to do what?!!"
"The '90s were not the oldies, ya know."
"No, I don't want to live in my parent's place."
"What do you mean they don't take paper resumes?"

If you are wondering, I speak from experience, in a way.
DeepBlack

Post by DeepBlack »

There is a movie
"The Man from Earth" that touches
on the downsides of immortality.

It is one of my favorite Sci-Fi movies.

No aliens, androids, spaceships. It is
set in a solitary humble house with five
or six actors who carry the plot solely through
their verbal interaction.

The bad thing about immortality is you never get to "retire".

It has a dramatic surprise ending that is hard to anticipate.

Anyone ever see it?
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

ORIGINAL: DeepBlack

There is a movie
"The Man from Earth" that touches
on the downsides of immortality.

It is one of my favorite Sci-Fi movies.

No aliens, androids, spaceships. It is
set in a solitary humble house with five
or six actors who carry the plot solely through
their verbal interaction.

The bad thing about immortality is you never get to "retire".

It has a dramatic surprise ending that is hard to anticipate.

Anyone ever see it?

It was a superb film. Take a pass on the one that followed it though. It ruins the magic.
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

Fly fishing, hunting moose, a cabin in the middle of nowwhere, my 2020 Ford Ranger is perfect, my wife and if possible a PC with my stupid war games on them. If I lost the PC and still had my wife, my guns and the ability to fly fish and that cabin...would not need much of anything else...IMHO...
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Immortality by any means scares the crap out of me.

An eternity of hell is different from an eternity of heaven by only about a thousand years. Hell is immediately undesirable, heaven takes a while to make you realize you hate it.

I'm an atheist, there is neither. But I will refuse any artificial means of forever too. No, you can't put me in a machine and let me exist forever. I want to go back to nothing eventually. I might like an extra hundred years. But, I'd rather I spent the duration as 25 years old, to be honest. My father's health declined in his last 5 years. He was trapped being attached to oxygen. It was pretty obvious, he died more from a lack of interest in living than dying from pneumonia that took him. Mom lasted several years past father. She missed him the whole time. She reached her mid 80s, and I think her clock merely ran out.

I'm not afraid of dying, I'm afraid of a horrible lingering. When I go, I want it to be short and simple. If I'm due to last until 80, I want the last month to be no fuss or nonsense or pain and lingering. I won't mind being 100 as long as I can at least enjoy a nice lunch and sit quietly reading my books. I won't mind being slow and fragile. But I better at least have a mind that still works.

If it turns out I'm totally wrong, and there is a God, he will find I'm not interested in his Heaven. I want to just not exist eventually.
I was made in the heart of a star. And I want to go back to the nothing from where I spent billions of years unaware.
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

ORIGINAL: Zovs

Fly fishing, hunting moose, a cabin in the middle of nowwhere, my 2020 Ford Ranger is perfect, my wife and if possible a PC with my stupid war games on them. If I lost the PC and still had my wife, my guns and the ability to fly fish and that cabin...would not need much of anything else...IMHO...

Why would you fish for flies? [&:]

Wouldn't fishing for fish be better? [:'(]
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

z1812

Post by z1812 »

If my life, much as it now, could continue indefinitely I would be very happy. I wouldn't want to be immortal....though I would like to choose my own time to die.
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

Hahaha....on fishing for flies...

I love the motion of the wheel and the line, in the water and the skill (which I don't have, lol) to snag a fishy...
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: z1812

If my life, much as it now, could continue indefinitely I would be very happy. I wouldn't want to be immortal....though I would like to choose my own time to die.
warspite1

The older I get, the more absurd the idea of living forever becomes (think evil Nazis in Indiana Jones for example!). When I think how much life has changed during my brief stay on the planet, I really don't feel I could cope with the change yet to come. I mean don't get me wrong, there is SO much change for the good, and a great many ways in which we live in more enlightened, diverse and inclusive times. But increasingly a lot of decisions, opinions, laws, they just leave me ever more bewildered. This is NOT a political comment, I make no comment on what specifically I am referring to, and have no wish to open that debate. Nor is it some veiled cry for help - I have no wish to depart this mortal coil just yet as I want to see my little warspites grow up. But it's just a comment I guess on one simple man's ability to cope with a world that continues to move ever faster forward.

What's the old saying "Stop the world I want to get off".

Thanks for listening.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Zap

Post by Zap »

That was funny. I could see one keep changing the date. Oh, time is getting close. Let me just move that date back a wee bit[:)]
z1812

Post by z1812 »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

warspite1

When I think how much life has changed during my brief stay on the planet, I really don't feel I could cope with the change yet to come.

I have generally been out of step with the conformities of life that I can avoid. I avail myself of the changes I need, or want, and avoid the rest as well as I can. The future will be full of good and bad things as the past has been. But it will be amazing............and I would love to see it.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

The only hing I will miss about the future is space adventures.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
z1812

Post by z1812 »

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

The only hing I will miss about the future is space adventures.

Since we don't know what the future may bring, it is impossible to know what we may miss.......

Holographic wargaming anyone? A Robotic friend to play wargames with when no human ones are available.

.....of course on the negative side, we may be made to wear white jumpsuits and endlessly repeat, " only the protectors know ".
Orm

Post by Orm »

.....of course on the negative side, we may be made to wear white jumpsuits and endlessly repeat, " only the protectors know ".
And what if you were one of the protectors? [;)] [:D]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

Return to “General Discussion”