Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Eternal wars agaisnst Minors are annoying - ideas to stop them

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> Eternal wars agaisnst Minors are annoying - ideas to stop them Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Eternal wars agaisnst Minors are annoying - ideas to st... - 3/13/2021 10:16:55 PM   
zgrssd

Currently once we have a cityless Minor start advancing on our territory, we basically have no option but to end up at war - and it is never realy possible to end the war until we wiped them out.

If we try to wipe them out:
Even if we are able to defeat the cityless minor, there is a ~100% chance that we will trigger another cityless minor on the way.

If we try to make peace:
I can remember this being possible. But it is no longer the case - difficulty is usually between 700 and the maximum displayable value of 999.

Some ideas in no particulary order of Preference:
Allow peace, if we are beating them
If all they are getting is one embarassing defeat after the other, they really should be willing to talk peace.
Even just being unable to advanced or Attack is a strong indicate that things are not going well - clearly we got more forces on the border then they can handle.

And this is not even limited to organized societies like Native Tribes or organized minors. Peace is really just two parts:
- the player wants to have peace
- the minor wants to stop fighting the player.

The former part is represented by the player playing the "Make Peace" card.

The later part can be as simple as "we really do not want to challenge them anymore, we still kill everyone that strays into our territory, but not tryting to take their stuff - they are too dangerous.
Even Animals can learn to respect a border. Realizing that "thosse are the better predators".

For example: Back in the cold war, there was a border right through the Bohemian forrest. It conssited of Barbed wire, booby traps and mines. There are Animal populations on both sides of the former Border. The Czech side is even being actively hunted.
And yet those two populations still mostly respeect that border. 3 decades after the border stopped being enforced by either side! There is still some wandering, but we are talking about lone, young males looking for mates - not herds.
Animals definitely seem able to learn "do not go there".

Respect their borders
This would be a order to the players troops to - unilaterally - respect a minor territories borders:
- Scouting will not shift the broder to take way land from the minor.
- Direct Advancement into their territory is not possible, without first canceling the "Respect Borders" order (similar to declaring a war, just less severe)
- If the minor starts advancing into the players borders, the rule is automatically revoked - as clearly the minor is not willing to keep the status quo.

Citiless Minors that are "triggered" by meerely bordewring them, would not react to a player that has his troops ordered to respect borders.
And Citiless Minors that only react to loosing broders, would not be loosing borders.

Home Sweet Home
With this idea, one hex within the Territory is declared as a "base".
For Nomads or this would be a Free Town.
For Natives, it might be a Alien Town, Holy place or similar.
For Wildlife, it would be a "nest" where the Alpha or Brood Queen is.
Those later two cases would propably mean simply one Hex Perk being used as base. But stuff like Ruins, Volcanoes, Mountains or resource deposits could also work.

The units of the minor have to be able to trace a path to the base or they will suffer attrition (just like a Minor with city). This does not nessesarily represent death, but more them "dispersing" into small groups. Small enough that they do not hold territory, but can pass through player territory (similar to what Free Folk and Event Only Forces do). They are isolated from "their" nest and the memory of there being a leader can only keep them together for so long, if there is no contact.
They could still re-gather in another compatible base elsewhere on the planet.

The base may be able to relocate - if the current one is taken - or there might be multiple bases. For minors that are more resistant to be dispersed.
They would fall back towards defending the base, just like any minor defends their city. But once the last base is taken, they are as defeated as a Minor that lost it's city.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 3/13/2021 10:17:14 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Eternal wars agaisnst Minors are annoying - ideas t... - 3/27/2021 3:45:31 PM   
BlueTemplar

If you kill enough of them, they might start retreating ?

I've had Arachnids advancing at me after I cluelessly stumbled (too far ?) into their territory, then they got cut off by another Minor (with a city) - which IIRC they never fought with, then supposedly retreated and got most of their units killed by another major (I wasn't paying attention), then got their terrotory pushed back by my rebels. Now I've reclaimed the rebel (formerly Arachnid) territory, and the Arachnids just have a single unit left, sitting without moving on their zone's single Hex perk (seems to be a little bit like your "base" !).

Also, doesn't their territory already lose their name if the "base" is taken from them ? (Or is that only for non-aligned ?)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by BlueTemplar -- 3/27/2021 3:46:54 PM >

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 2
RE: Eternal wars agaisnst Minors are annoying - ideas t... - 3/27/2021 8:31:34 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

Now I've reclaimed the rebel (formerly Arachnid) territory, and the Arachnids just have a single unit left, sitting without moving on their zone's single Hex perk (seems to be a little bit like your "base" !).

It sound like that single unit is simple in "Garission" mode and they have no mobile units left to attack with.

What I am talking about is giving them supply lines or the ability to make peace.
Without having to beat them down to the last unit.

(in reply to BlueTemplar)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> Eternal wars agaisnst Minors are annoying - ideas to stop them Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI